Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some folic acid in America, but they are 800mcg per capsule, whereas here we are recommended to have just 400. 
Do you think it would be ok for me to take these?
Im not pregnant, but have been taking them for years in anticipation of falling pregnant. 

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Hi Ella

I am on 10 times the normal limit daily for Folic Acid, ie 4,000 mcg (on prescription) because of what happened in my last pregnancy.

Although the American Folic Acid is a higher strength than off the shelf in the UK these are not significantly high to cause any problems. In fact you will obtain further folic acid through your diet anyway, giving you more than the minimum RDA (reccomended daily amount) even if you took a UK purchased suppliment.

Good luck and ^fairydust^

Debs

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Debs
Sorry to hear about your last pregnancy.  Seems like your in good hands now with your prescribed high dosage.
Thanks for thank info.  I think I should be alright to take it, from what you say. 
Ella

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi I take 5000mcg (on prescription) because of neural tube problems with my last pregnancy and have been for the last 7 months daily in addition to 400mcg in my multi-vitamin. Folic Acid is water soluble so your body won't retain any that it doesn't need.

Clairexxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.