Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just returned from a day 12 scan and am feeling a bit Argggh!  The scan showed 4 follicles at 17-18 and two more at 14 with some others probably around ten.  My clinic has told me to come back for a scan on Saturday with EC scheduled for Monday, four days from today.  I think the clinic are hoping that the two 14s will get large enough by then to be in the game but I'm worried about leaving things so long.  Does anybody know the minimum size for follicles for EC?  I know the max is 25.

I've read some research on antagonist cycles and prolongation of the follicular stage seems to lead to a reduced positive outcome...what a dilemma!  Last time I did the long protocol and got 9 eggs, 6 fertilised and only two were of good quality.  My positivism has gone out of the window today.  I know there is probably no right answer but I think I need a rant!

Thanks for listening and good luck to all in treatment
xx

G

·
Hi there 18-22mm is generally considered optimum but they can get mature eggs sometimes from 14mm ;)....over 25mm risks over maturity apparently :-\...yours sound fine - I am sure the smaller ones will catch up. In my experience the smaller ones really go for it and the larger ones grow slower later in stimms!

Good luck

xxx

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Good luck Bearfriend  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hiya Bearfriend

Those follies sound lovely!!!......you still have abit more growing time too, wish you loads a luck on monday sending you ^hugme^

hayleigh

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

Our clinic like to do to the trigger injection when you get to 17mm for the follicles.  I had 2 really large ones at 25 and 28mm and they retrieved the egg and the egg fertilised  :)

Keep your tummy warm, and drink lots of water and the smaller follicles have a chance of getting to be mature enough as well.

Lots of luck

x x x x x

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks every one for the support and Scooby its nice to hear that really large follicles can still produce eggs that fertilize (congrats on the pregnancy especially after your miscarriage - it warms my heart!) 

I had a long chat with my consultant yesterday pm and she was lovely.  She is hopeful that the larger follicles won't grow that much more but that the smaller ones will, the embryologists are recommending waiting.  We had a discussion about research on antagonist cycles and ended up agreeing that it was a dilemma and in the end comes down to a judgement call.  Research seems to show a 10% reduction is sucessful outcome purely attributed to the lengthening of the follicular stage in antagonist cycles.  In the end we agreed to leave it till monday and I feel happier for having had the discussion (poor dr, I must be a nightmare patient!)

There's not anything I can do now so I've decided to take the attitude of what will be will be!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hi Bearfriend,

had similar thoughts/worried on my last/first IVF/ICSI, but eggs fertilised and as previously said here, the small ones seem to catch up. Sounds like you have a good number and good luck on Monday.

Carolein Anne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts