Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am researching IVF options for my wife and I with her own eggs, UK-based and considering Europe.

I see many clinics offer lower prices in continental Europe but am curious how it worked out for you overall, for those who have been?

Did it still work out cheaper once all the flights, accommodation, IVF friendly travel insurance had come into play?

From what I can see, it looks like about a similar price once all has been factored in, but am open to better care as price is not the deciding factor but want to be sure it will be worth the hassle.

FWIW - we're considering Newlife in Thessaloniki, Greece, or possibly Instituto Bernabeu in Alicante, Repro Clinic Barcelona.

TIA

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hi all,

I am researching IVF options for my wife and I with her own eggs, UK-based and considering Europe.

I see many clinics offer lower prices in continental Europe but am curious how it worked out for you overall, for those who have been?

Did it still work out cheaper once all the flights, accommodation, IVF friendly travel insurance had come into play?

From what I can see, it looks like about a similar price once all has been factored in, but am open to better care as price is not the deciding factor but want to be sure it will be worth the hassle.

FWIW - we're considering Newlife in Thessaloniki, Greece, or possibly Instituto Bernabeu in Alicante, Repro Clinic Barcelona.

TIA
Basically it works out a little bit cheaper but that’s not the point tbh. Main point is that you receive much better care and professionalism

·
Registered
300 Posts
I’ve had a poor experience with two ivf clinics in the uk .

I did start a cycle with a clinic overseas . I only decided to stick to the uk as I found it very stressful trying to line up cycles with annual leave at work and last minute leave . Plus the travel on top of the medications and the emotional strain . On reflection I would have preferred better care than what I’ve had and travel to get it . But too late now .

I spoke with serum in Athens greece and they were particularly good but due to travel I decided against . Since donor egg is less travel altogether then I am prepared to go abroad for that .

I’m Sorry you and your wife lost two years . It’s a cruel journey at times . I lost similar amount of time listening to bad advice . One clinic said I have just as much chance of conceiving naturally as IVF so to try naturally . However what they didn’t say is get sperm tests done and it turns out my partner has very poor sperm results in all areas so incredibly hard to get pregnant . I then wasted a long time trying naturally and getting heartbroken every month . Bad advice to try naturally when you don’t know if your partners sperm is okay . There’s been loads of bad advice and delays . I think there’s thousands of us in the same boat .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basically it works out a little bit cheaper but that’s not the point tbh. Main point is that you receive much better care and professionalism
Thanks for this - it confirms what I was thinking.

How have you found the logistics of going abroad for IVF, assuming you have based on your response?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve had a poor experience with two ivf clinics in the uk .

I did start a cycle with a clinic overseas . I only decided to stick to the uk as I found it very stressful trying to line up cycles with annual leave at work and last minute leave . Plus the travel on top of the medications and the emotional strain . On reflection I would have preferred better care than what I’ve had and travel to get it . But too late now .

I spoke with serum in Athens greece and they were particularly good but due to travel I decided against . Since donor egg is less travel altogether then I am prepared to go abroad for that .

I’m Sorry you and your wife lost two years . It’s a cruel journey at times . I lost similar amount of time listening to bad advice . One clinic said I have just as much chance of conceiving naturally as IVF so to try naturally . However what they didn’t say is get sperm tests done and it turns out my partner has very poor sperm results in all areas so incredibly hard to get pregnant . I then wasted a long time trying naturally and getting heartbroken every month . Bad advice to try naturally when you don’t know if your partners sperm is okay . There’s been loads of bad advice and delays . I think there’s thousands of us in the same boat .
Sorry you've had the experiences you have had, too. When you say that there's probably "thousands of us in the same boat" I think you're right but it is so frustrating to think that. Glad for forums like this for some sanity and much needed support.

Do you have your travel abroad booked? I am curious about the logistics, too, which seem a little overwhelming but as you've said, donor eggs lighten that burden a bit.
Wishing you all the best on that front 🙏👍🏻

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks for this - it confirms what I was thinking.

How have you found the logistics of going abroad for IVF, assuming you have based on your response?
Not very difficult as we used donor eggs. The donor went through the process and blastos were frozen. Then I travelled there for the FET. I combined this with some annual leave and WFH ie worked from the apartment i was staying. However, this was my choice because i wanted all scans to be performed at the same clinic. You have the choice to perform all monitoring in the UK and just go there for the transfer ie very few hotels costs and jist a few days off for the transfer. I think you have the same option with own eggs.
I am with a clinic in Greece, so my visits there were always combined with holiday and shopping and seeing family/friends. But Inhave to say that care is way better in Greece than the UK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We are currently doing the same, so we would definitely like to know what you find out.
Our plan was to go a couple of years ago just as the pandemic shut everything down.
Now I'm over 50 sadly we can't use the clinic of choice the Institute Bernabeu, in Spain.
Been looking at Cyprus & there are a couple of places in Spain that will treat over 50's.
Team Miracle has been recommended & does seem to have good equipment & results but also a very chequered history.
Its so difficult to get straight answers off anyone.
The other option mentioned is Latvia but not got much research on that as our swimmers are frozen in the uk & have to be couriered out there.
So around 2k before we start, therefore it has to be somewhere we can trust implicitly to have our journey from start to finish.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
it depends what countries you are considering. Czech, Poland, Latvia, Estonia, and Lithunia are very affordable in terms of flights, accomodation, staying and treatment. And their top clinics get same, or even higher, success rates, and offer excellent service. Cost of treatment in Western Europe - Spain, Germany, Cyprus, etc - while being more affordable than in UK, are higher than in Czech and Poland. Respectively, their costs on flights, accomodation, and treatment is approx. 30% higher.

Reactions: Franessa

·
Registered
636 Posts
We are currently doing the same, so we would definitely like to know what you find out.
Our plan was to go a couple of years ago just as the pandemic shut everything down.
Now I'm over 50 sadly we can't use the clinic of choice the Institute Bernabeu, in Spain.
Been looking at Cyprus & there are a couple of places in Spain that will treat over 50's.
Team Miracle has been recommended & does seem to have good equipment & results but also a very chequered history.
Its so difficult to get straight answers off anyone.
The other option mentioned is Latvia but not got much research on that as our swimmers are frozen in the uk & have to be couriered out there.
So around 2k before we start, therefore it has to be somewhere we can trust implicitly to have our journey from start to finish.
Hi
Just to let you know Greece revently changed the law and increased the age limit to 54.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts