Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon and what a miserable, rainy bank holiday it is!

William is 10 weeks and bottle fed with approx 50% EBM and 50% Aptamil. We started bottle feeds at 7 weeks and he used to be fab ... fed around 4 hourly, took masses of milk, sometimes up to 200 mls per feed!

Just recently he seems to be in real discomfort with wind so yesterday I bought some Infacol, I'm not 100% convinced it works but I've got nothing to loose have I?! That's the first issue.

The second is that his routine (not that it was ever perfect) has gone out of the window. Throughout the day he starts crying about 1½ hours after finishing his feed. It's usually wind that's woken him but the only way to make him really settle is to offer more milk. He takes tiny bit then nods off. Then 2 hours later we start the whole process again and it's really draining. At 10 wks I have barely managed to get a meal on the table more than 5 times, DH uncomplainingly gets an evening meal ready every night after he gets back from work.

Nights are better but only just, he's always kind of 'got' the difference between night and day. He manages to last about 3 hours, so for example last night he was fed at 1 am, 4 am and 7 am. But he used to be loads better sometimes (quite often actually) sleeping from 10pm - 6 am!

I keep a diary of his feeds, just so I know where I am throughout the day and he averages 1000 mls per day BUT this can be taken over anything from 6 to 10 feeds over 24 hrs.

I don't have any books and am reluctant to buy any as I got a bit hung up on a book when he was first born and beat myself up over him not doing what the book said. But can anyone advise me .... is it possible to get a 10 week old established in a routine or am I expecting too much? But if it is possible - what should that routine be and how do I go about achieving it?

This afternoon I decided I'd only let him feed 4 hourly and offer 180 mls (1000 over 24hrs) so at 2pm I warmed some EBM from the fridge but he fell asleep after just 100 mls and the rest got poured away (v annoying as it was lovingly expressed!) and he's now been whimpering in my arms since 3.30 and I've got ¾ of an hour to go! Was this the right thing to do?

Help!

B x :-*

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
In my opinion there really is no "right" way to get your baby into some kind of routine.  I understand what you mean about reading books and stressing when your LO does not follow them!!

I read the baby whisperer before my LO was born and I am very loosely follwoing it, in that I aim for a 3 hour feeding routine during the day, however sometimes it is nearer 2.5 hours and later in the day sometimes 2 hours, occasionly 3.5 hours.  The main thing though that I try to do (again based on Baby Whisperer) is to always have some activity after each feed, I find that my LO is tired after 1.25 to 1.5 hours (including feed & change time) and then I try to get him to have a nap, before starting all over again.

I started a bedtime routine when my LO was 4 weeks old and it has been very successful.  I started by bathing at 8.30pm, followed by bottle, story, then straight to bed with cot mobile on for 10 mins.  Within 2 weeks he was going through until 5am and now I bath him at around 7pm and he sleeps until 6.30am-7am.  He can still have up to 7 bottles though in the 12 hours or so that he is awake, although now normally 6 and very occasionly 5.

I also use infacol as I do find it helps him bring up his wind easier.

I aslo keep a note of his feeds and he currently averages 35oz (1050) and at 10 weeks was around 1000ml, so it seems like William is having enough milk but he just needs more of it during the day.

I hope I have been of some help.

Love Tracy xx

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Hi, it could be that if he's gone from taking 4 hourly feeds to 2 hourly that he's having a growth spurt. These can last anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Just when you think you've got it craked, they spring up on you!  ::)

Are you giving him the formula in the evening as opposed to the EBM, as this will fill him up for a little longer.

As for the infacol, it has to be given regularly before every feed and takes a bit of time to start working.

Personally, at 10 weeks old, I would feed him when he wants, especially if it's only 3/4 of an hour before he's due.

Good luck, I hope he settles again soon  ^hugme^

xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I have to agree with Sugar and, unless you are one those who are happier with a routine in place, I would just go with the flow for a few more weeks and see what sort of natural routine emerges rather than getting stressed trying to force one onto him. However that doesn't mean you can't aim for a routine but often starting with a bedtime one is more effective so bath, bottle, cuddles, song etc.

Again, as Sugar says, he could well be having a growth spurt which normally happens somewhere around the 12 week mark and I also would feed when he's hungry rather than being ruled by the clock - if I'm hungry I eat which is why I've always fed my babies when they're hungry. Don't forget he's still very young.

They do have a habit of lulling you into a false sense of security and, just as you think you've got it sussed, they go and change or want something different. I'm sure they do it just to keep you on your toes!

I hope he settles again for you soon though,

Chux xx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi B

Lots of good advice already  :)

How is William's weight now? I stopped bf Rory at around 4/5 weeks due to the amount of weight he'd lost and was not putting on (and the extreme pain I was in). I did try to push a 4 hourly feeding routine straight away but it wasn't until he'd 'caught up' so to speak that his irratic feeding fell in with the routine I use. Evenings took the longest to settle out - he'd take a 7oz feed and some nights he'd sink the same 2 hours later  :eek: I would say it was roughly when he was back to his birth weight centile on the growth charts.

Many do have a growth spurt around the 10-12 wk mark - Rory certainly did a couple of weeks ago.

Also (it's already been mentioned) ebm will not keep him as full as long as the formula milk so you may find he'll go 4 hours on fm before he'll go 4 hours on ebm.

Personally speaking, I don't think 10 weeks is too young for a routine - I put Rory on one as soon as I put him on formula. I use Gina Ford although most people on here hate it. If you feel a strict routine is not for you but want to have someting loose - I would look to wake up and feed at 0700 am and start the day from there - and then introduce bathtime routine starting 30mins before the evening feed is due.

S xxxx

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hi,

Although Thomas is a bit older, I do remember back to when he was 10-12 weeks.  I moved from exclusive b/f to mixed feeding at 10 weeks as he wasn't putting on much weight, and I knew deep down that my milk alone wasn't enough to satisfy him.  His birth weight was on 25th centile, but dropped to 9th and then a little below that as well.

In terms of routine Thomas sort of fell into one of his own accord around 7 weeks, which was scarily close to GF.  I did wonder whether he'd been taking a sneaky look at CLB when I wasn't looking  ;D  I certainly didn't force things onto a strict timetable, but once feeds and sleeps tended to happen at roughly the same time each day I then made that the routine.  There was lots of trial and error, I should add!  We definitely had a growth spurt around 10-12 weeks when he wanted to feed more often, so try to go with the flow.

Now that I've started weaning Thomas is very happy with a routine - I'm following GF's weaning book and I'd really recommend it.

Good luck, Katy x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts