Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone on this thread had fostered..was loooking to foster and what they thought about it..?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Afraid I can't help you with this one.  I've not fostered and didn't consider fostering because of my age and because I didn't feel I was emotionally strong enough to look after children and then pass them on to somebody else.

I do think that it is a great thing to do if you are able.

Cindy

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
sicknote
i'm a child protection social worker and lots of kids on my caseload are looked after by foster carers. It can be hard job but very rewarding and it's great to see the difference that a good foster carer can make for a child whose been hurt or neglected or whose family are in crisis. You have to be assessed and if approved then you have your own social worker and receive training and an allowance. You can be any age, single, lone parent etc, the most important thing is to be caring and non-judgemental towards children and their families. You can also stipulate the ages of the child in order to be registered eg 0-3 or 5-10, if you don't feel confident about caring for older children at first.  Lots of foster carers get upset when the children return home or are placed else where but they still carry on fostering. You can also apply as a permanent foster carer where there is little chance of the child moving on. You can contact your local authority Adoption and Fostering  team or a foster care agency and make enquiries as each authority offers different £ rates and varying levels of support.
good luck
CaseyX 

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks asey have applied to a few local agencies and packs are currently coing through..we were just looking at it as an option..dh's not sure he could cope with the stress of giving the child back if they were going back to a worse life..
We wanted to get some answers as to wether dh's cancer affects our case..the adopters have said we cant apply until he is clear for 5 yrs?
Is fostering the same?

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
sorry sicknote,
i don't know the answer to your question but i would imagine different agencies ahve different answers.
by the way, like i said you can apply to be a permanent foster carer where rehab back to parents is not an option and child stays in your care till age 16 or 18 or longer if you both want this.
let me know how you get on 7 good luck
CaseyX

1 - 5 of 5 Posts