Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm at St Mary's with Dr Golland and awaiting my second IUI (first obviouslyunsuccessful) but am looking toward options if the IUI does not work. I understand that the government states we are entitled to one free IVF cycle, but St MAry's don't provide this. Does this mean we miss out, or would we be referred to somwhere that does? There is no way we could afford IVF privately so if we miss out the on free treatment I fear that there is no other option for us. Please help.

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
hiya

it depends who your nhs hospital would be.....for example, i live in sheffield and you can have 1 free ivf only and thats if you have no kids living with you, and the waiting list is 1 year. but i know doncaster gives you 2 free ones! its a postcode lottery as usual

im not sure what to say other than that, with me, i went to doctor to ask them to refer me as not got preg in 2 years (after my misc) and i went for tests at a main hospital then once theyd done them, they referred me to a smaller place called "assisted conception unit" behind that hospital

hope ive helped  ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Hi lexndan, it will depend on what criteria your own PCT have. They are all dfferent and, if you could tell us what the name of your PCT are is (you probably will find it on any letter from your GP's surgery) then soemone in that PCT might be along soon to advise you.
I see that you are 32 so you are still young enough to enter an Egg Share scheme if necessary. This is when you donate half the eggs from your IVF cycle to another couple in exchange for reduced cost treatment for yourself. In some case this has be very significantly reduced (my clinic gave basic IVF for free with only the "extras" like ICSI costing more). Egg share is not for everyone and there are some other strict criteria you will have to meet (varies from clinic to clinic but generally at least FSH and BMI within acceptable levels, plus all clear on several blood tests and genetic karyotyping) but worth looking into if the NHS won't fund your cycle. If your IUI fails (hopefully it won't ^fingerscrossed^ ) your consultant / GP will be able to advise you what the funding situation is and which clinics in your area you can have a funded cycle at. You may be lucky and get a choice but often you don't, depending on how many clinics your PCT deal with.

Good luck wiht your IUI. Hope you don't need to worry about IVF funding!

C~x

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi Lexndan,

If you meet the eligibility criteria for Hampshire then, yes, you can have a free IVF/ICSI cycle. I live in Portsmouth and had my NHS funded go back in November.Even though Portsmouth are a unitary authority and have their own PCT they now use the Hampshire guidelines for IVF funding. (They didn't when we were first looking into treatment and we were told there wasn't any funding but thankfully things have changed.) As you say St. Marys don't offer it but there are three clinics that Hampshire will let you choose from. They are; Wessex Fertility, Essex & Herts Fertility Centre (formerly Holly House) and Salisbury Fertility Centre. I'm with Salisbury who are just great but I'm sure the other two clinics are equally good. I have to say I found St.Marys awful and was relieved that Salisbury were so great but that's just me as I know others have had good experiences there.

I have a copy of the Hampshire guidelines for funding so if you want any detailed info just PM me. The main criteria are you need to be aged 36-39, neither partner can have any children form current or previous relationships, both need to be nonsmokers, and female BMI needs to be under 30. There is a bit more but as I say I can PM you if you are interested. As has been said in a previous post even if you don't meet the criteria for funding egg share is another option to consider. Our first cycle at Salisbury was egg share for this reason, as at the time I was too young for NHS funding. There are plenty of clinics offering egg share schemes so maybe another avenue to explore.

Good luck with your journey. ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

M&M

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have our first app next week with Dr Golland, I was wondering with regards to IUI, is this done at St Mary's, and will we be entitled to this treatment as we are both 24? would I have to have injections for this treatment? FYI my DH has low count, i appear to be ok from bloods
Sorry for all the Q's we have been waiting for answers after GP gave DH results like 9 weeks ago, i just didnt know what the future will hold for us, really cant afford private treatment for a good few years, been waiting to start ttc since we were both 20 really (met at 15) and just thought once we started after wedding it would just happen! stupid i know, sorry i am blabbing now!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi ToryPlum

With regards to IUI i don't think there is an age restriction. I was 31 when I was put on the waiting list and started treatment in March (i'll be 33 in 3 months). The treatment is done at St Mary's and QA. If all is ok with you they may do a natural cycle with no injections, but i'm not sure if they do that or still insist you have treatment also to ensure the best success rate. Whereabouts are you in Portsmouth? Feel free to send me a personal message if you want a chat about anything.

·
Registered
507 Posts
hi,

we had IUI on the NHS, it was done in St marys and Dh 'sample' done in QA. we personally found ST marys very good, but every one has different expectations/experiences.

i was just 25 years old when i had Clomid & IUI.

good luck i hope it has helped,

Take care Hayley x

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sorry to say that it seems to be a complete postcode lottery. When we lived in Gloucestershire we were told that there was no funding and were advised to fund privately. We funded three cycles
( which we made huge sacrifices to do). It was reintroduced in Glos so we went back to GP who said that we met all of the criteria other than the fact that we had chosen to self-fund!
we were furious but despite involving our MP we still did not get funding!
Fingers crossed you'll have more success then we did!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts