Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peter,

I dont know if you can help, but at the weekend I was at my parents' house and read an article, I think it was in the Telegraph, about free IVF for women under 40. It said something about new plans to implement this by next year. Do you know anything about it? It's just that I'm 40 in October and would have to get my skates on to go on some kind of list!!!!!

Many thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Hi Sam,

Peter will know just about as much as anybody else at present, the news that was highlighted over the weekend was speculation by the media over draft proposals from NICE.

Please note this quote from Tony

As Fertilityfriends.co.uk are a stakeholder in helping NICE with the guidelines - we are limited to what we can say in public - however, please remember that these are guidelines - they are not the bottom line!

And they are still up for debate! so please dont give up!

Another thing is.... that - Hospitals and the Dept of Health do not have to follow the guidelines.

And now that the media are hyping it up - the General Public will listen to them and go against it.

Its making me feel that the guidelines do not stand a chance now.

Although it wont stop FF Submitting its responses to the consultations.

Tony,
xx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mel,

thanks for the reply. It's just that as Im fast approaching 40, I wanted to get in quick if I have to !!!

Sam
x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Sam,

I am 40 next week, I know how you feel ^shocked^!

I was upset about this news when I first heard, but after reading more about it and getting others opinions from here, I feel a little bit better now. If the proposal goes through then it will come into force from February 04 at the earliest, so we would still miss out. However, as Tony says, the hospital's are only given guidelines so your clinic may well decide that you are eligible for funding with a little luck! As the girls on here say though, we will believe it when we see it, as it will not be easy to get support for so much money being allocated to infertility. Lets hope it goes through for the sake of all infertile women.

Nell x

·
Registered
221 Posts
hi just read this posti went to my gp and asked him about the free ivf for woman under 40 (was 2 weeks away from 40)he said yes i should be entitled to it,so refered me to my local hospital,so got an appointemnt with a gynacologist(expected fertility expert)anyway i explained why we was there he said my local hospital did not do free ivf but barts did ,so he phoned them whilst i was there,he kept mentioning 40 on the phone,then he said he didnt think they would treat me as i was 40,so i pointed out that when i inquired about the treatment i was actully 39 and my gp said it would not be aproblem,so he said ok ill run tests on you both and if they come back ok ill refer you to barts...so everything was good and we just sitting and waiting with our fingers crossed that barts accept us.

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
lilacbunnykins said:
hi just read this posti went to my gp and asked him about the free ivf for woman under 40 (was 2 weeks away from 40)he said yes i should be entitled to it,so refered me to my local hospital,so got an appointemnt with a gynacologist(expected fertility expert)anyway i explained why we was there he said my local hospital did not do free ivf but barts did ,so he phoned them whilst i was there,he kept mentioning 40 on the phone,then he said he didnt think they would treat me as i was 40,so i pointed out that when i inquired about the treatment i was actully 39 and my gp said it would not be aproblem,so he said ok ill run tests on you both and if they come back ok ill refer you to barts...so everything was good and we just sitting and waiting with our fingers crossed that barts accept us.
Hi lilacbunnykins

Just wanted to let you know, if you hadn't already noticed, that this thread is nearly 4 years old (August 2003).

When you mention "free ivf" are you referring to NHS funded treatment ? This is all dependent on local PCTs (primary care trusts) and varies widely...very much a postcode lottery. Many PCTs have a cut off age of 40 but they also have varying criteria, procedures & waiting lists.

We're on the NHS waiting list for our area (SE London) & the waiting list is 2 years...we should reach the top in April this year (2007) although when I phoned the hospital they are a bit behind as ran out of funding for a while so may not reach top till later in year.

NICE guidelines say that couples are entitled up to 3 NHS funded treatments but as I mentioned before, different PCTs have different criteria and not all will offer 3 goes...some only offer 1 whilst others offer 2 (ours offers 2 funded treatments)...as well as all the other criteria such as age limits, BMI limits, no children from previous relationships etc

Apologies if its not NHS funding you're referring to but wasn't sure if you realised quite how old this thread was & that its referring to when they brought in the guidelines for NHS funding several years ago.

Good luck
Natasha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts