Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have merged several topics on freezing foods so you can find them all in one place.

Chux xx

I've made up some chicken stock and frozen some of it.........thing is, if i use it in a recipe can i then refreeze it!!

And when you are heating up babyfood do you need to heat it up until it hot and then let it cool down or can you just warm a little it until it's the right temp.......does it matter!?

I've not worried too much yet but i guess you need to be more careful with chicken/meat.......

Lizzy xxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hmmmm, I'd say no to re-freezing the chicken stock -could be wrong though. When I cook for Ben, I buy fresh meat and veg and freeze all of that separately. I cook say the lamb with onions and olive oil, and then just mix one cube of that with X cubes of different veggies. Find it easier than having to make whole recepies, although I do have a few of them in the freezer too.

When reheating home cooked food, I always make it piping hot and let it cool. If it's jarred stuff (and he's getting better at having some of the 7 month varieties now), then I just warm it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I love Annabel Carmel’s recipes. We eat them all the time. Lots of her recipes call for chicken stock. I make a big batch of it and freeze it in 5oz / ¼ pt portions. I then use the appropriate amount or an approximation to it, in one of her recipes.
I batch cook stuff for the twins as they tend to want food earlier than we like to eat and I can’t stand to let a hungry child cry. They have never had any problems with dishes containing frozen chicken stock, defrosted, boiled thoroughly, refrozen, defrosted, then warmed slightly. And my two are lively 2 1/2 year olds, are 95cm tall and weigh about 14.5kgs. I always thought they were so big, because of genetics, but maybe it is all the yummy food they eat, made with frozen chicken stock:)
Lorna

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I suppose it's just a risk thing at the end of the day, and whereas some babies may get sick, others might not. I've never cooked home made chicken stock, and so I'm just guessing that it's not safe to re-freeze.

Personally, I just treat the food I cook for Ben the same way I would if I were buying and heating a frozen ready meal for myself - it always says on the packet to ensure the food is piping hot and not to re-freeze. I can't see how home cooked food that has been frozen is any different.

I could be totally wrong in this with regards to baby food, but even if it would be okay to do it different, I'd prefer not to take the risk of my baby getting sick, and young babies can get so very sick. Better safe than sorry I say.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the Annabel Carmel book too (although i think she's wrong about organic food.....in my experience it tastes much better and i'd much rather have food without pesticides, gmo's etc....) The recipes are great though but i was just confused about what to do.....have to say this could all be academic anyway as Kitty really doesn't seem to like chicken!!! (The texture i think)

Maybe i could use the stock as a broth and add veggies........

Thanks for the advice,

Take care, Lizzy xxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Lizzy, if you just puree down some chicken (bit wierd to puree chicken I know, but it does turn out okay) and mix it with some root veg, then the texture's much easier for baby to handle. You might've already tried that anyway, and if so, then sorry for trying to teach you how to suck eggs, and yep, Kitty probably doesn't like it :-\

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jayne ~ i tried pureeing it (looks like sludge :-\) but she didn't seem too impressed......might leave it a couple of weeks then try again.

I emailed Annabel Karmel about the stock and you're right....she said to use fresh stock for cooking.......bugger, i just froze a load without thinking ;D I'm going to give her a cube with some potatoes and carrots though so i won't have to refreeze it and it wont go to waste.

Lizzy xxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Awwwww Lizzy - all that effort :( No need for it to all go to waste though, as you say, you can still use it but just not in a big recepie. At least you have a definite answer now.

Know what you mean about the chicken looking like sludge ;D Ben loves it, but different courses for different horses and all that ;D

Love

Jayne x

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Me again  ::)

I was wondering how long you can leave your puree frozen before you have to discard it?

Also I see some have given yogurt is this a special type ie soya due to cow's milk?

Thanks, I'm not confused honest!  ;)

Jacks

·
Registered
651 Posts
Jacks
8 Weeks i beleive.....thats what AK suggests anyway.
Sx

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
I gave ordinary cows milk yoghurt but only after N was 6 months & more. It isn't advised to give cows milk to baby before then due to the risk of allergies. Probably best to stick to fruit puree for the time being?

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hey Jacks,

There is no way I'm cooking/pureeing/freezing only to chuck it out so will keep it until it's used (so long as it's still frozen obviously)!! I don't intend to give yogurt until 6 months though I seem to remember some are marked from 4 months. The 6 month thing for weaning is relatively new (it used to be 4 months) so I'm sure kids ate them without problems then. Go with your instinct!!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Hiya,

I've bought some lean braising steak today (to make AK's Braised beef) - DH (aka knower of all  ::) ) says I can freeze the steak and then defrost it and then freeze again the recipe, I say he's wrong.

Who's right? 

I soooooooo hope its me!

Marie xxx

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Oh poo, just read in AK that 'knower of all' is, in fact, correct.

How very disappointing.  ;D ;D  He'd like to think that he has won, but he is wrong.  ^idiot^

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
As long as the meat has been cooked it can be frozen & defrosted again as long as it hasn't been previously frozen. Fish is quite often frozen in transit & then defrosted in store so I wouldn't refreeze that unless cooked.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
LOl yup totally wrong Marielou. ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^ Never question an 'expert'. ;D Rules on freezing are never refreeze unless you've added the cooking process in the middle.

Sorry!!

Chux xx

p.s. He may win the battle but he won't win the war ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Isabel is now finally eating lumps from a spoon (she has always been fine with finger foods)  but what have people found a good size container to freeze things in.  I have the AK ice cube trays but thinking that when I make cauliflower cheese for her later I won't be mashing much at all as she can eat when we all sit down together exactly what we have we don't mash at all., so won't get much at all into one cube.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Have you thought about freezing it seperately? I freeze the cauli either shoved roughly into ice cube trays, or in a out flat poly bag then break it up gently with a rolling pin once frozen and tip into a tub. The sauce I just freeze bechamel (basically cheese sauce without the cheese) in ice cube trays and pop out into a plastic tub.

By doing it this way the cauli can also be used with other meals as a vegetable, and the sauce can be used in a variety of ways by adding mushrooms, herbs or cheese etc once defrosted.

However, if you do want to freeze it complete I got some good sized pots from Asda.

Chux xx

1 - 20 of 39 Posts