Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i've also posted this on peer support so ope you dont mind me posting again.
I'm after a bit of advice, we have just had our 1st consultation and the consultant reccommended that we freeze a sperm sample as a back up for on the day of EC just in case DH doesnt produce a good sample on the day.  DH had his SA done and was 9 mil total and 1.7 million per mil, i know this is low (thats why we are going through this whole process!!) but didnt think it was at a stage where they might not be able to find any to use on the day   ???  there is no problem with the quality of the sperm just the ammount.  Really confused as to what to do, would hate not to have any to use on the day of EC but never expected to have to freeze any, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi, I suppose there's two ways of looking at it, either the consultant is being cautious (I don't know what counts count as bad / very bad etc), or he's trying to get more money out of you?! How many SAs has your dh had? They can vary considerably and might give you an indication of how he might do come November rather than just relying on this one sample.

My dh has a low count, also due to either mumps or an injury to the testicles they dont know, but we were advised by one clinic that the damge is ongoing (once the testes start to go fibrous, they continue to do so until sperm dries up) and we should freeze for the future, then another clinic said that if he's reached the age of 32 and still has sperm (4mill per mil), then there's no rush to freeze he should be OK fresh. Have they said that your dh's will get worse over time? Is this why they're recommending freezing? For us having such conflicting advice really spun us out and tbh we're still stuck between thinking the first clinic were just after more money, against the second clinic being too blase about the whole thing, after all if he does dry up it would mean the end and that's a biggie to have to deal with.

It is so difficult to know what to do for the best. As far as I can see you need to choose whether you are going to be cautious and just get some frozen just in case, I dont think its very expensive (in the grand scheme), or just see how it goes on the day which you might find adds extra stress to your tx cycle. Like I said, we havent frozen any yet only because we're still dithering, but if I were to advise anyone else i'd say get them in the freezer! You'd kick yourself if it ran out at the crucial time. Erm, I think I'm going to book my dh an appt soonish ....

Kerry x

1 - 2 of 2 Posts