Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!

My gorgeous boy is 8 weeks old and I am having real problems at night with him being restless and waking pretty  much every hour.  Can anyone offer any advice ...... and help reduce the bags under my eyes!

He has 6 oz and feeds at 6-7amish, 10am, 2pm, 5pm, 7pm, 10pm, then a night feed anywhere between 2-3.30am.  At the night feed I am giving him 2/3 ozs only as trying to get him to go through and read its best to make the night feed a smaller one. 

As general rule between the daytime 7am and 7pm feeds he stays up for activity time for 1.5 hrs and then goes to sleep which during the day is not too much of a problem, he goes off ok and he may wake sometimes 30 mins after to be resettled and then will stay a sleep for rest of sleep.  At night different story!  Has feed at 10pm and goes to sleep no settling required then wakes at 2am, then all goes wrong, I feed him the 2/3 ozs at 2am and then put him back then he stirs every hr for the remainder of the night and needs resettling with dummy/sshing back to seelp and this goes on until I feed him at around 6-7am.

His daytime sleeps are 1.5hrs in the morning, 2hrs lunch time, 1.5hrs in the afternoon

What am I doing wrong?  I have checked temperature etc, he sleeps in his room for all naps and at night.  Could it be that I need to up the ozs that I give in the night feed?  Thing is when he is sshed in the night he does go back to sleep which makes me think its not hunger and I dont think he has his days and nights mixed up as he is going back to sleep and isnt wide awake. 

Any miracle cures welcome!

x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Without wanting to state the obvious I'm guessing he's waking because he's hungry and isn't ready to drop the night feed yet, hence not staying asleep when he goes back off. I know some babies do sleep through at this age but there are an awful lot that don't, so I would try giving a full bottle and see if it makes the difference.

Chux xx

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks chux, you know when I was typing it, it did seem like it might be hunger, sometimes you end up answering your own question!

When he has his night feed he drains the bottle no problem -do you think I should maybe put say 5oz in this bottle tonight and see how much he takes?  This is my first and I am new to all this!  I am not so much desperate for him to go thru the night, I would just be happy to be woken once in the night, feed and then go back to sleep til say 6-7 rather than be settling him every hour.

Do babies normally go from taking say a 4oz night feed and then go through the night or is it always a case that you have to gradually lower the amount you give them?

Thanks for your help... x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I was told that it's best if there's a little bit of milk left in the bottle after a feed as it means they've had enough - if they drink it all you're left wondering if they're still hungry so I would definitely up it and see if he takes more. If he's full after a feed he's more likely to settle for a few hours than if he's just had the edge taken off his hunger and he wants more. Does he have a dream feed?

I BF until I stopped night feeds so can't really help on how they drop their night feed but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.

Just another thought, could it be wind?

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi hun,

Lewis is 12 weeks wed and has only just started going through, altho somenights he doesnt  ???  ;D If he is draining a bottle definatly up an ounce, its there then if he needs it. I have had to up to 8oz yesterday as all weekend he would drain 7oz and still want more.

I do my dream feed at 11pm. He goes down at 7.30pm dream feed at 11pm then if he does wake its usually around 4am, he was having a 2am feed but dropped this by himself.
Its not often now he wakes at 4am he usually goes till 6.30am then will talk to himself till 7 when its brekkie time  ;D

Do you have any rountine in place? We started by giving L most of his bottle in the lounge then moving him into the darked bedrrom where he had his last drop of milk, then he more or less goes to sleep straight away. If you do the same thing everynight round the same time he will start to know that its his bedtime.

NIkki xx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi,

I too would agree in that he is most probably still slightly hungry but, when you say he as 2 hours sleep at lunch time and then 1.5 hours in the afternoon - what time is this afternoon sleep? Having a sleep of that length quite late into the afternoon can affect night time sleep.

But, being 8 weeks (mine's 9) anything is still possible  ::) but I would firstly try increasing the milk again and if that fails to work, maybe look at the afternoon sleep (i.e. it could be too long a sleep too late in the day)

Come and join us on the Winter 2008 parents place to chat board  :)

S xxx

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Hi

Firstly, please don't beat yourself up, you're not doing anything wrong and doing everything you can to be a good Mum. It's hard work being a Mum (but fab too!) so don't be too hard on yourself, your doing a great job!  ^hugme^

I'm with Chux. I don't think he's ready to drop his night feed just yet. I'd also try the full bottle. With DD she went from taking a big night feed to sleeping through. One night she just didn't wake up for it and that was the end of that. She then took more during the day to make up for it! Also as Shelly said, I'd also cut right back on the afternoon sleep too and certainly would try not to let him sleep much after 3pm. Lastly my HV gave me a great tip which I will always be grateful to her for - always put your baby in his cot awake so he can learn to settle himself and try not to do any soothing to sleep. Stick to it even when he wakes in the night and it will save you a lot of upset in the future, as if he wakes he wont need you to help him get back to sleep. It's a really important sleep skill for babies to learn and will really benefit you all in the future. He sounds as if he's practically there with it already! xx

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Thanks everyone for your replies, I upped the night feed from the 2/3 ozs I was giving and on both nights he took 4 and a half ozs so he obviously was hungry - feel bad now like I was starving him!  We have made a little progress in that by giving a bigger night feed he then goes back for a couple of hours rather than waking every hour.  Still waking at 5am but last night managed to settle him until 6.30!  I shall keep you posted but am feeling more positive!

I will also try and limit his afternoon nap as he does tend to have quite a long one.

Sequin x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Good for you and don't beat yourself up over 'starving him'!! It's all trial and error and reading the signs is something we all learn in time.

Chux xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts