Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had/ undergoing fertility treatment with the use of frozen sperm?  My husband had treatment for cancer 10 years ago which left him infertile and we are now about to embark on fertility treatment using his frozen sperm.  We are in the very early stages as we are going to our first consultation in two weeks.  What method of fertility treatment is used and how successful?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
My husband had sperm frozen before cancer treatment 8 years ago. His treatment also left him infertile. We have used the sperm in two cycles of IVF treatment with ICSI and just got a positive result on the second cycle.

We were advised that ICSI is the best treatment as the sperm quality is reduced by the freezing process and so enables to embryologist to maximise fertilisation using a single sperm for each egg.

Best of luck with yout upcoming treatment - stay positive! If you have any other questions please feel free to post or IM me.

Mookie

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mookie,

Thank you so much for replying!  Congratulations on your positive result!

I feel so relieved that I found this site and support network and that there are other people going through what we are going through.

I've heard that ICSI is the best option.  What are the success rates?  I am 31 and have very mild PCO, but overall I am very healthy.  Do I have a good chance?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
The success rates vary from clinic to clinic but I think average out at about 30% per cycle. Check with your clinic at your consultation what their success rates are - they might be able to give you more precise success rates based on age, cause etc.

The way I looked at it about success rates is with dh being left infertile after the chemo my chances of conceiving naturally were 0%. With IVF/ICSI they were 100%! That way of thinking worked for me - you have to be in it to win it so they say!

Best advice I can give you is to be optimistic but realistic.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hello and welcome soulcy.. I also have pco and we are having treatment using dhs frozen swimmers.
We had 6 failed iuis but we got pg on our first go at ivf unfortunately it wasnt meant to be but it has given us hope to go on and try other things.

As Mookie has said any help you need feel free to IM ..

Ju x

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there!

I am about to start ICSI later this month.

Is there anyone out there having fertility treatment using pre-cancer treatment frozen sperm?

Soulcyster

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Soulcyster,

Good luck for your ICSI this month. Will be watching out to see how you get on.

Our sperm was from a post-cancer biopsy only.

With warmest regards,

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Hi Soulcyster,

I have had one fresh ICSI cycle and one FET with my dh's frozen sperm. His sperm was frozen the week before he started chemotherapy. Did the hospital or clinic where your dh's sperm is frozen give you a report on the volumne, density count and motility count of the sperm? This may help you to get some idea of the quality of the sperm and how they might withstand the thaw. If you have any questions please feel free to IM me (I'll be on holiday from the 23rd to 30th). All the best with your ICSI.

Sasha.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your supporting messages.

I don't know the exact details of DH's frozern sperm quality, but when we went to see the consultant at the sperm lab they said they were of reasonable quality. 

We will be transferring some of the sperm to the clinic in the next couple weeks and will then know more.

Soulcyster

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Hiya Soulcyster

Sending you loads and loads of luck  ^reiki^  and babydust ^fairydust^

My dh's sperm was frozen a week before chemo like sasha's dh and we were lucky that we hit the jackpot on our 3rd try (with FET) So just try and believe it will work - i had lots of days when i thought it never would but that all seems so far in the past now that it doesnt matter when you get that BFP.

Keep believing  ^reiki^

^goodluck^

Clare
xx ^reiki^

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for your messages.

DH and I have decided to delay treatment until August as we are moving house at the end of the month.  It just seems like a wise decision as it won't help matters if we are both stressed. 

I'll just have to be patient during the next 3-4 weeks.

I think my DH is very certain it will work first time, but I don't know what the chances of this happening are.

Soulcyster

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi-ya

My husband was had Leukemia over 2yrs ago now. He is fine now and back to good health.
We were obviously upset by the yet more bad news of a 2yrs and 10mths waiting list.
We went private in the end with ICSI.

Just had my EC last Friday and ET on Monday.
It all went fine, we now just have to wait so lots of happy positive thoughts!

Regards
FRIENDS x :) ;D

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
Best of luck and wishing that your dream come true. Sending lots of  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Jenny

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Friends,

Hope that your 2ww is going well (I normally go a bit mad during mine) and that a BFP is on the way!

With love from,

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Hi FRIENDS

Like you, i too had my ET on Monday 26th and are in the same position of the HORRIBLE 2 ww.

Wishing you lots of luck and  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Amandax

·
Registered
610 Posts
hi soulcyster,

I am in a similar situation to you, my DH had cancer in 1998, had 11 vials stored before chemo, we are about to go for our fisrt consultation too.  So nice to talk to someone in the same situation, as I am a bit clueless about everything.  Can I ask what is ICIS?

·
Registered
332 Posts
hi new on this thread no sure if anyone will reply but anyway if anyone has any advice i would be really greatful
2 years ago my dp found a lump on his testical he was sent for a scan which showed a cancerous lump 1 week before the surgery to remove it he was asked to do a sperm sample at eri after 1st one he was told he had a low sperm count he had to do 2 more the last 1 the morning he was having surgery. he recovered well and never needed futher treatment still gets follow up appointments everything ok
been trying natuarlly since but nothing happened seen gp getting referred to eri
when explained bout his situation they feel he may not have produced well cause of the stress he would have been under.
any help or advice would be great

love
michelle xxxx

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Hi Michelle

Sorry to hear what you and your dh have had to go through, it fab news that dh is in good health now though and you are wanting to start your family.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

I dont know anything about trying naturally but we have had icsi treatment as dh's samples were not fantastic as he had CML for some time before it was diagnosed but that is what is good about icsi - they only need 1 good sperm per egg to inject.  If the sperm are better than that then they would do ivf where they let the sperm do the work as they would naturally.  If the sperm is even better they may even offer IUI which is obviously much less intrusive.

We only have a couple of months to wait for our 2nd ICSI baby to make an arrival so there is proof that frozen sperm can work!!

Oh sorry to ramble - what i was going to reply was that we got a brief report on the sperm analysis after the sample was given so i would think your dh's was looked at and the details will be on his notes.  This would give you an idea of what you have.

I wish you lots of luck in your future treatment whatever it may be.

C
xx

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Michelle,

Did your DH have any other treatment other than surgery. It may be that his fertility has been changed due to the treatment?

My DH had a tumour removed and one testicle. When they tested his sperm count after the surgery he was found to have no sperm in his eqaculate.

In the end he had to have an operation in his one remaining testicle and they did find sperm, which was then used in a proceedure called ICSI.

Have you had his current sperm tested and what was the result? Have you also seen the report for his pre-treatment sperm sample. It should contain the information on amount and mobility of sperm.

If you haven't seen the report(s), ask for a copy and post again here as someone may be able to interpret it for you.

Your options will vary depending on which samples are the best.

Hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

·
Registered
332 Posts
hi
thanks for your replys dp closed up when it all happened he sort of blocked me out think it was cause i wanted kids and someting was wrong. He only speaks very little about it think it hurts think they said about 15 or 20% with help but could be wrong
the surgery was all he needed to get rid of cancer so we are very greatful for that
was at gp last thursdat ive to get tested for chlamydia and to get a day 21 blood test done
dp to do 2 sperm samples
gp refering us to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary
try to get more info from dp may take a while tho
thanks again
love michelle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.