Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I know this is asked all the time and I have used the search option but now im totally confused and dont know what to think!!

I have just had my FSH & LH levels checked on cd2 and they have come back as the following: -

FSH 6.8
LH 4.4

I have read that LH should be about 5 to be normal and obviously mine is lower. What does this mean and should both levels be about the same? Do you think the FSH is a little high?

Any advice is welcome. Im now panicing that things are going wrong even before we start further tx  :-\

Thanks

Jo x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

As you say, this is a very very frequently asked question and there are loads of threads with info about this (cos I've replied to countless myself ;) ) :)

Not sure where you've got the info that LH has to be around 5 to be classed as normal....was that info on FF ???

Different labs and clinics use varying ranges and unit measurements but this is what I was given when I've had FSH & LH tested (between cd2-4/5)....

(follicular stage) LH - range 1.9 - 12.5 IU/l
(follicular stage) FSH - range 2.5 - 10.2 IU/l

FSH levels to indicate ovarian reserve (all in IU/l):
under 6 = Excellent
6 - 9 = good
9 - 10 = fair
10 - 13 = diminished
13+ = hard to stimulate

I also found these ranges which someone else was given, so as you can see, the different labs have used slightly different ranges but gives you a rough idea (all in IU/l)...

Follicular:  FSH 2.8 - 14.4      LH 1.1 - 11.6
Midcycle:  FSH 5.8 - 21          LH 17 - 77
Luteal:      FSH 1.2 - 9.0        LH 0 - 14.7

FSH & LH should be similar and if LH is higher than FSH then this may be an indication of PCOS.

I'm presuming that yours were measured in IU/l, in which case, your levels of FSH 6.8 IU/l and LH 4.4 IU/l look absolutely fine and nothing to worry about at all.  Obviously I'm not medically qualified and it should really only be your consultant who interprets your results but from comparing with all the info I've ever been given after the numerous blood tests I've had over the years, your results, to me, look fine....in fact they look good !!  Did you have E2 (Oestrogen/Oestradiol) tested at same time though as sometimes this can suppress high FSH and give inaccurate FSH readings ?

These were results from some of the tests I can actually remember & I was told mine were absolutely fine and nothing to worry about (and yours are similar !)...tested on cd3

FSH 6.5 IU/l & LH 4.2 IU/l
FSH 6.9 IU/l & LH 3.3 IU/l
FSH 6.7 IU/l & can't remember the LH but was lower (most recent)

Hope that helps

Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi ya, thanks for replying (was hoping you would!  ;) )

i read on Dr Google about LH needing to be above 5...  ::)

thank you for explaining things again for me and am glad its looking ok now! am seeing my gp thursday so will double check the levels and units that they measured in as i got the results from the receptionist who wasnt quite sure what she was looking for  ::)  I wasnt told to get E2 done but wouldnt that be an innaccurate reading anyway as I have endo? Or is that another myth i read?!!! (ok i admit i am a google addict!!  :-\ ) Also which days should E2 be done on?

im hoping to start tx at St Barts once my turn comes up on the nhs waiting list so trying to get everything done before hand that they might need to speed up the process  ^reiki^

Thank you again for the quick reply  :-*

Jo xxx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
I've no idea where Dr Google's getting the info but because you have endo doesn't mean you'll get inaccurare E2 results !  Yes, endo (and fibroids and polyps) are all oestrogen related but this won't necessarily cause your E2 levels to be wrong !  I too have severe endo and my E2 levels have never been brought into question because of it.

E2 should also be tested around cd2-4/5......so perhaps when you get it done, get your FSH and LH tested again so all done at same time so better way of interpreting results.

You do need to remember though that when you actually start your IVF, they'll want to have recent blood test results, especially for FSH and E2.

Take care :)
Natasha

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bummer! i could have saved having a blood test then! never mind!!

thanks for the advice and i will also get E2 done next time

take care xxx

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just got my E2 results - the gp said they were low at 63  ??? is this bad? she said the fsh & lh were roughly the same as last time so nothing to worry about there. i didnt get to ask any questions as i had a house full of people. have used the search tool but cant find what i want to know!

i had my e2 done on cd3, whats the normal range for this time in the cycle?  ??? can e2 be increased by supplements if its supposed to be higher?  ???

thanks  :-*

jo xxx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hey hun :)

Was your E2 (Oestradiol/Oestrogen)measured as pg/ml or pmol/l as this is pretty important ?

1 pg/ml = 3.67 pmol/l

100 pg/ml = 367 pmol/l (pg/ml to pmol/l = 3.67)
100 pmol/l = 27 pg/ml (pmol/l to pg/ml = 0.272)

You do need to be aware that different clinics and labs will use varying ranges and measurements so you must check what the "normal" range is for your clinic but here's just a few "normal" oestradiol ranges for follicular stage (which is where cd2 is in your cycle) which I found whilst searching these boards...

different clinics ranges for FOLLICULAR PHASE - oestradiol (E2)
37-539 pmol/l
40-606 pmol/l
75-250 pmol/l

Was it your GP or a fertility consultant checking your levels....I only ask as sometimes GP's aren't so hot on fertility related issues, including hormone levels....ideally get a fertility consultant to interpret them if possible.

Check out this website...

http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/hormonelevels.html#female (but this is US site so do check the unit measurements ! ;) )

Unfortunately there's nothing that you can take to increase your oestrogen levels as these are hormones.

Take care
Natasha

/links

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi ya thanks for that, it was my gp who rang me with the results and she didnt know what she was talking about to be honest  ::) i did ask what the measurement was and she just repeated the level again. i asked what the unit was measured in and she repeated the number again  ::) i have asked for a copy of the results to be left in reception for me to collect sometime this week so i will know more then hopefully!

thanks for the link

jo x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts