·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Home Ladies ....

·
Registered
492 Posts
KJ - you've got a bad case of powdery mildew!

PM is worst when the air is v humid and the roots are dry. It won't kill your plant quickly (it will if it happens year on year) . You need to give the plant a good watering. If its only affecting a few leaves you could remove them but you run the risk of spreading the fungal spores. Better really to keep the plant well watered for the rest of the season and feed it with a liquid feed once a week to try to help it fight back. in the autumn, cut it back and burn all the diseased bits. try to pick up any fallen leaves. Nest spring mulch the soil around the plant to help with water retention and try not to let the plant get too crowded so that air can pass through the stems and keep the air around the leaves drier. this year is going to be bad for Pm becasue we are having a dry summer with very humid air.

Hope that helps!

Cathy

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Hi everyone, garden is looking good now with lots of veg and flowers !  Went to local Open Garden yesterday and came away with a couple of goodies.  I have so many plants in pots ready to go into the garden but I am still battling with the nettles which, although stunted by glyphosphate, will not die  ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^

Hopefully will be able to plant up later in the year so it can all flower next year.  But I am a very impatient person !  ;D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Apparently nettles hate having their tops chopped off. Try it and see if its the final straw!

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
I have been !  And I spray twice a week with glyphosphate !!!!  they are like minature leafed nettles now but still growing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Pass then!!

One good thing is that nettles only grow on high nitrogen soil. So once they've gone it should be a growing plot!

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
aha - I did not know that.  I went out and hoed the b*ggars earlier !  they look really sick ;D  All yellowing and withered so I think they are losing the battle.  I'm not known for losing one !

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Hi guys, have a quick question (hope you don't mind me bardging in) - we have lavender growing in our garden and DH's mum last year told us to chop it right down thus unabling it to grow back and flower this year - it grew back but didn't flower  :(  Would  there be any obvious reason for this that you know of? Just wondering for next year.

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
It might have been because you cut into the dead wood.  WIth lavender, i believe you should only cut back into green wood.  Hope it recovers.  xx

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
you can do that with a buddleia !!!!!!!  not much will kill one of those off !

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re the lavender - if its come back after such a severe haircut it should flower next year. what you want to do is nothing until about March next year and then give it a good haircut but only cut it so that you can still see some green below where you're cutting. Give it a bit of food (miracle grow/fish blood & Bone/growmore) and it should flower. It probably didn't flower this year because the new shoots weren't mature enough after such a haircut!

Just wanted to tell you that my new fave plant are all my lillies. wish we had smelly websites! And had my first two cherry toms today MMMMMMM!

Cathy

·
Registered
492 Posts
Have we all gone veggie mad? No ones talked on here for ages!

Well - just wanted to say went to Great Dixter last Sat and saw the exotic garden - oh boy! Dahlias like dinner plates and enough verbena bonariensis for us all with some to spare! Not to mention the cannas, yuccas, aeoniums...... and the lushious Fergus Garrett!

Cathy

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just wondered what happened to all the girls taking their RHS General in March - you must know the results by now.

Do tell.....

Cathy

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Hi Cathy - This thread has gone rather quiet - I will post more often :)

I am ashamed to admit that, due to neglect, many of my greenhouse contents are crispy now :(  This happened to me last year - a few hot days and forgetting to water, and you lost the lot.  My chillis are still green though even though the leaves are wilted badly.  I have saved some things and I can take cuttings again and overwinter them but I am mighty angry with myself :(  I was given some variegated osteospernum cuttings which were doing sooooo well, but which have now all perished. 

Gutted
Jennifer xx

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Not quite gardening - well maybe it is - cactus - anyone know about when and how to water them?  I have some that I've not watered for 6 months but the earth is so dry it may as well be stone or clay now!  Don't want them to die cause they are wonderful and in the past I have watered cactus very slightly and its killed them!

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Nicki
- The woman in the charity shop where i bought a cactus for dd told me to put in water for a couple of minutes to slightly dampen the roots - I haven't tried it yet so if your little spiky friend doesn't survive im very sorry ^idiot^

My garden is like a jungle - its wet here in the NW and it seems as tho everything went mad - I have been cutting the bushes back and now they all look like they have bad haircuts  ;D but i have had loads of lovely roses - i keep putting old bananas and  skins and teabags on the roots

By the way does anyone know if milk thistle should be cut back in Autumn - mine is looking very tatty

Anyway bye for now
Casey

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Nikki

This might seem like an obvious question, but is your cactus in the right soil?  It should be quite quite free draining, (such as gritty or sandy) in order to prevent it getting waterlogged - and make sure there's a hole in the bottom of the post to ensure any water can drain.  It's just when you say the soil is almost like clay or stone, it seems to me that the soil may be too 'heavy'.  Ideally you should have watered it daily over the summer - especially if they're in a warm room, and then during the winter this can almost stop to monthly.

Hope your plant stays happy!  :)

Claire
x

1 - 20 of 525 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.