Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Emily,
I have just been to my 11 week scan and the Dr said they think that the baby has either gastroschicis or a hernia? I am 11 weeks today. The nuchal was 1.9.

She said that she couldn't get a clear picture but seemed to think that is was one of these two problems.

However I understand that the intestines at 11 weeks have not always retracted into the abdomen and that this doesn't happen always until 11 weeks 5 days. Is this true and if yes it is possible that this simply what has happened?

I understood that gastroschicis (from online research) is not usually diagnosed before 12 weeks?

We don't have another scan now for 10 days so we are very anxious.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Hi,

I can only think that it must have been quite noticeable, or they would have just put it down to you being under 12 weeks, I'm glad they have booked another scan, and at least you can get a more definite answer,
Let me know how you get on,

Emilycaitlin xx

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Emily,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Re: your comment that it must have been quite noticeable I don't actually think it was  - they just said that it wasn't very clear and didn't even mention the possibility of it being just the intestines not retracted by now.

In your experience, at an 11 week scan (and actually half a day of 11 weeks) is it unusual to still see intestines outside the body?
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Hi,
We aren't trained in scans, but I haven't seen it commented on by the sonographer. If they have said it wasn't  clear though, it sounds like they just want to double check,

Emilycaitlin xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.