Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again  :)

I was hoping for a bit of advice on a few issues, so hope you don't mind  ???

Firstly, I've got terrible acid indigestion and have been told to take Gaviscon, but have been really reticent to take anything since becoming pregnant. Is it totally safe for the baby, and how much is it safe to take in any one day?

Next, we got a fetal doppler last week and have been quite enthusiastic about using it  ::) We've used it most days since Friday, for (I think) a maximum of 5 minutes at any one time, and we did use it a couple of times one day. Is it safe to use it a lot, or should we be trying to exercise some restraint and only use it a couple of times a week or less? Also, my midwife used a doppler when I saw her on Monday but she was quite rough, will the baby be OK? It made me feel quite stressed to be honest!

I also wanted to ask about back pain and abdominal pain. I've had some low level abdominal pain/discomfort for maybe a week or more, but no bleeding or any other concerning signs. Is this likely just to be my uterus growing, or should I get it checked out? Also I'm getting regular back pain in the centre right hand side of my back if I sit for very long, particularly on softer furniture. If I get up and move around it improves, but often comes back if I sit down again. Should I get this checked out or is there anything I can do about it?

Sorry for the list of questions  :-[ it doesn't help I'm having an anxious day today  ::)

Thanks very much,
Elaine  ^daisy^

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Hi,

I'll answer your questions in order, and we don't mind, that's what we are here for!!

Gaviscon - Yes it is safe to take in pregnancy, and many people find it very effective.  If you have 10 mls every few hours if you need it, there is no harm.

Doppler - I'm a bit reluctant to advise the personal use of these, as they can cause false reassurance.  For example, when you start feeling movements, and get further on in your pregnancy, PLEASE don't listen if you are worried about something, say, less movements, hear the heart beat and think, oh everythings ok.  You need to be specially trained to know hat rate the heart beat should be at each stage, whether it has good variablility between beats, whether it is going up when it should be, and if it's slowing down, not to be slowing down too much and at the wrong time in the rate of the baby's heart.  (SOrry, I'll get off my soap box!!) I wouldn't use it every day, as even though your midwife, although it is uncomfortable being prodded a lot, had to dig around the other day, it is safe to do this, as you have lots of muscles in the way, however, your baby probably wouldn't be trribly impressed if it was being poked every day!!!

Pain - The pains that you are describing sound fairly common in pregnancy.  The abdominal pain, as you say, is due to your uterus stretching and all your ligaments etc stretching too.  The back pain sounds like a bit of sciatica and your baby just lying on a nerve.  Hopefully it will move soon and that will ease for you.

Hope this helps,

let us know if you need anything more,

emilycaitlin xx

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much Emilycaitlin  :) Your advice is very much appreciated and we'll use the doppler a lot less. I only got it for until I start feeling movements, just for a bit of reassurance really and we're very gentle with it, so hopefully we're not disturbing our little one too much. As I say though, I'll certainly use it less now.

Thanks again, you've been very reassuring  :)

Best wishes,
Elaine  ^daisy^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts