Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not started ICSI yet but am in about 2 months time.  Is there any time where i will need a general anesthetic in hospital? I know theres a lot of procedures needing done obviously!

Totally in the dark about it all and have loads of questions about it!
Thanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
hi donsbabe,

it's usually conscious sedation for egg retrieval and you don't need anything for embryo transfer.  i would double-check though as i think some clinics might still do ec under general.  for conscious sedation most people fall asleep, i certainly did!

wishing x

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Hi Donsbabe,

I think most clinics do sedation rather than GA .. the recovery time is quicker and better with sedation.  I have had both and I prefer sedation, for the reason I have mentioned.

I will move your post into Peer Support Pre-Tx, as you will get more feedback and you can ask loads more questions ... we're here to help, so ask away!

Good Luck ... Bels x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Some consultants/clinics do you general anaesthetic for egg collection (EC), others use IV sedation.

I've had 4 fresh IVFs, all at the same hospital but 2 were done privately under 1 consultant and 2 were done on NHS with another consultant.

Our private consultant prefers IV sedation which must say I preferred too (although I've had countless generals for other ops so not really bothered by either !).....our NHS consultant only does EC under general anaesthetic....so I've had 2 of each for EC.

With embryo transfer (ET) you don't have anything....it's a bit like having a smear (although slightly more undignified I'm afraid).

Good luck
Natasha

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Hi there

As the girls have said some clinics do EC under sedation and some use a GA
I have had both, and i preferred the GA, but we are all different
I like the fact im asleep and know nothing  :)
Have a word with your clinic hun, they will be able to tell you what you will be given
You may even have the choice, i could've opted for sedation if i wanted too
Good luick with your cycle x x x

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Hi ladies

Well, we've been for an NHS IVF appointment this morning (all booked in and ready to start DR on Friday woohooooo!!) and the NHS in Suffolk do GA for EC.  We were also told that Bourn Hall in Cambridge (Private) have now decided to mainly use GA for EC.  I thought Bourn Hall used sedation so not sure why they have changed.

I agree, it obviously just depends on your clinic/consultant.

Good luck girls x

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a question i will be asking when i go, im not bothered either way, just curious.

Thanks for moving my post, im new on here so bear with me!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi
Just a quickie - I had a full GA with my EC, I wanted to be knocked out completely! there was an option though..

Good luck with everything.

Nacknick. xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts