Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)  Hello

I've just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes  ^bigbad^
I have to monitor blood glucose levels daily and watch my diet.

Hopefully managing my diet will be enough and I won't need pills of injections.

Just wanted to hear from other ladies with the same condition.
It's good to talk!  :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello

Really sorry to hear your news re: gestational diabetes. Quite a shock isn't it  :(  How long have you been following the diet for ? My readings increased after eating mashed potato - how bizarre but guess potatoes can do that.

I too have just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, currently 31 weeks pregnant with twins and the consultant looked at the measurements of the babies and said 'wow they are big babies.

When I first did the fasting my measurements came back borerline and one reading was slightly over - the hospital ticked the normal box and sent it back to me.  It was only my consultant who picked up on this and demanded more testing and monitoring thankfully.

One thing I hate about it is yet having to have more needles lol....not anyones favourite. I have my appointment tomorrow with teh dietician and then with the DR next week to decide wheter to go on insulin.

Let me know how you get on, one positive thing is at least they are monitoring both of us, especially for our babies sake too  :)  How long are they making you stay on the diet ? They said one week to me.

How far along are you in your pregnancy ? Are you still working ? I finish tomorrow- one week earlier than expected but have SPD aswell which is ever so painful.

Take care

Michelle

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finish tomorrow too!  :)  I am 28 weeks tomorrow. I don't have spd but do have painful hips esp in morning  ::)

I have to try diet until 21st then see diabetes doctor and see if I need medication.

This is my first day really so not really sure what I'm doing but levels have been ok so far!  :)

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Hi ladies  :)

Sorry to hear that you have both been diagnosed with gestational diabetes  ^hugme^  Although I have no exprience of this I do have PCOS so have found a low GI diet helpful in the past.  Try 'googling' it and you will see which foods are good to eat - i.e. low GI so don't make your blood sugar rise/spike too much.  From memory, new potatoes are much better than every other sort of potato and hard fruits are better than things like grapes and melon.  Good luck and I hope that it doesn't turn out to be too serious  ^hugme^

Fluffs xxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.