Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband became infertile after cancer treatment and the medication he needed to possibly make him fertile again (very complicated) was not working so we asked our clinic about donor sperm.  They basically said it can't be done, there is not enough and its too expensive as its imported, so that door was closed.  I am just wondering how people on here have got donors?

The medication finally worked for my husband and we have a few (very few) sperm frozen and they are not convinced there is enough for it to work or even if they will survive the thaw, but he is now infertile again and cannot go back on the medication so if our ICSI fails we have no options but a donor.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hi
Your clinic may be giving you correct information as far as they are concerned, but it is not right for the whole of the UK.  Actually there are plenty of UK sperm donors in clinics where they can be bothered to go to the trouble of recruiting them and plenty of other clinics that import sperm from UK compliant donors in Danish or US sperm banks.  This latter option is not cheap but it is available.  I don't know where you live, but if you PM me I can give you a list of clinics in the UK to approach.  I am so sorry that your clinic is taking such a pessimistic approach.  This really isn't necessary.
Olivia

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
Where are you?

By example The London Womens Clinic and the Bridge Centre actively recruit donors and have plenty.

I was treated at the LWC and there is no waiting list for treatment or donated sperm at all, unless you have a really tricky requirement for a certain characteristic.

You can import sperm from European Sperm Bank to uk clinics by next day delivery. Check out the website and make sure you choose the option for UK available.
Sometimes not only do you have to pay the sperm bank for the donor but you also have to pay for storage and preparation of the sperm in the UK.

These are just examples and there are plenty of clinics that have donors. You just need to shop around and ask questions.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Pooh bear, just wanted to send you  ^hugme^ and tell you this is absolutely not the case. As you can see plenty of us have successfully used donor sperm in the UK. Some clinics have a plentiful supply, others do have a shortage it's true, but the door is definitely not closed. We imported sperm from the USA which is rather expensive, but if you have the funds, it can save you waiting and get you on the treatment pathway a lot sooner.

Good luck  ^reiki^

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hi

We are going to be treated on NHS using donor sperm (I live in Leeds). They don't have a donor bank but are going to start one (too late for me). They ahve a 2 year wait for sperm that they source in the UK. Their suppliers can't always let them have any because they are short. They have given us the option of importing from Xytex or European Sperm Bank. Although this is expensive, it will be cheaper than going to a private clinic at this stage as the NHS will pay for IUI and then 1 go at IVF.

Why can't we all get the same consistent treatment where ever we are based in the UK?!?

rachfins x

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rachfins i am in Leeds too and was told no chance of a donor at all?!

·
Registered
875 Posts
That's odd. At the beginning of November 2010, Alison Steadman the donor sperm nurse told us about the waiting list and the option to buy it ourselves from abroad. In fact I am going for my HSG test on Friday and counselling on 17th Feb. At the moment we haven't told any one at Leeds that we are thinking of bringing sperm in to the uk, so assume that we are on the waiting list as no one has told us other wise.

Rach x

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps its because I am too old or because we have a child already, no idea, but does seem strange.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hi

The donor nurse told us about this in Nov but basically said would be no good for us as it would take about 18 months to get fully up and running but if time is on your side, this is fantastic news.

Rach x

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadly time is not on our side

·
Registered
875 Posts
Like us  :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes we were told yesterday that it is being set up but will be at least a year too late for us.  Told only chance of working for us would be a sperm donor and then still only about 10% chance because of my age.  :'(

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hi

I feel you pain. I'm 38 so only a wee bit behind you in age and I've been told the same thing. Although, I am going to try DIUI through Leeds, we have been for a consultation at Care Machester - DH wanted to try MERC testing (still no sperm found), and the consultant there said not too waste too much time on IUI because before I know it I will be 40 and %'s get even worse but that doesn't mean that you or I won't be successful with DIUI, just not to go for too many months trying before moving on to IVF, which although still low ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ percentages, is higher than IUI.

Stay positive  ^reiki^

Rach x  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its hard rachfins, I would need ICSI even with donor sperm :-(

·
Registered
94 Posts
poohbear
Really sorry you are having such a tough time.
We had donor sperm as back up when we had ICSI last year, and imported from Cryos in Denmark. They have 'open donors' who comply with UK HFEA regulations about the donor being open to contact by any future children. It cost us about £500. Cryos were helpful and easy to deal with and had a good choice of donors.
Wishing you the best of luck
helen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts