Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M0ds,  i know this is in the wrong place but hoping to get some answers ready for the morning, but feel free to move me when ur ready.

Ds has a infection in his throat and both ears and has been prescribed amoxyicillion, the thing is i can't get it into him  :-\  I've tried it in his milk but he refuses to drink it point blank and when he does take a sip, he's sick. He's completely off food so im at a lost as 2 how to get it into him. I've tried with one of those medicine syringes but he's heaving so dont want to force it into him IYKWIM

So... have any of u mummies got any sneeky ideas as 2 how i can get the amoxyicillion into him 3 times a day?

Thanks for reading
TK

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
What about using one of the baby food fruit puree pouches? If you put it in the fridge it would be nice and cold and easy on a sore throat. My nephew has cystic fibrosis and this is how my brother gets some of his medication down him. Good luck. xx

·
Registered
872 Posts
I feel for you. I have the same prob with my ds. He won't even take calpol or calprofen. We have to use Paracetamol pessaries when he has a temp! However when he is poorly and is eating we manage to mix it in his fave yogurt and he hardly notices! this has worked with the anti b's too ;-) in Choc yogurt you hardly notice the taste diff. Worth a shot maybe? ?? x

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies ladies,

still not having much luck, but will keep at it and try in the yogurt, he refused the fruit pouch  ::)  x

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi, I've also had success mixing it with a small amount of fave, cold yoghurt - by the time a couple of spoonfuls are down they've hardly noticed and you can feed them the rest of the yoghurt without the anti-bis in.  Yoghurt is soothing on the throat.  Having said that - my Lo is 20 months too now and very canny so what works one day often doesn't work the next!. Could try custard??  Good luck - it's so stressful. x

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Rolo pudding things, mega chocolatey irresistible to even the most hardened tantrum throwers apparently.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If the taste is an issue, use an old animal trick. Get 3 mouthfuls ready and put the medicine in the 2nd one. The idea is that the first one makes them think there is nothing funny going on and when they realise the 2nd one is different they'll just want the last one and swallow it anyway! It might work! x

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
You could try mixing it with jam or with concentrated squash to mask the taste. When NG was 20 months old we had similar problems and if I was alone with her I bribed her with chocolate (as in do you want some choc? Well take you medicine and you get some), if not DH held her in his arms with a drink of juice ready to take the taste away..the good news is she will now take any medicine as she understands it's good for her but I still allow a choc button afterwards!

Also, you can try asking for the higher strength medicine from your GP (aimed at older children) as it means you only have to give half the volume.

And, ask for the one with sugar, if it's for a short term condition a little sugar goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
U've been a great help. Managed to get some into him via a choc mousse but i think he's clocking on b'cause he doesnt seem to want one now lol... only another 2 days to go and then it should be finished! So think i'll try the Jam idea next  ;) 

Thanks again, u've been a great help x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts