Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
We decided to give PT a go, as Riv was showing all the signs that Gina Ford outlined in her book. Riv is 21 months.
We have had a potty around for a while (too long possibly).
So we went into pants on Monday and followed GF method.
First 2 days went really well - but by the third Riv was getting really hacked off with it.  We were trying to be low pressure but she did so many wees/poos on the floor we were probably stressing it a bit too much.
Anyhow, by day 4 Riv seemed to be coming down with something/teething, and did a whole day without one hit in the potty.
So we have put it on hold until the summer when she will be 2 and the weather will make it all easier.

Here is my question -
Before official PT we always had a potty out and would encourage her to go on it. 
Do we still do this? 
Or should we put it in a cupboard so she doesnt get confused?
And if we still have it out how do we encourage her to use it without hacking her off again?
(She is going through a phase of saying "No" when we ask if she's done a poo - even though we can smell it)

Dont want her to get confused as to what the potty is for - she seems to mainly consider it a reading chair.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
personally speaking Id just say leave it for quite a while.. 21 months is too young and I think the later it's left - the easier they take to it and the less stressed you are.. Im sure others have different views but I've never been a Gina Ford fan anyway.  Just enjoy not having to worry about taking potty's around or finding the nearest loo's for as long as possible..  it won't hurt top leave the potty out if u wanted to, or put it away, she
ll soon know what it's for when she's old enough to understand.  My ds's one was used as a toy until he started using it for real.
H xx

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well we are leaving the proper training until the Summer - she is back in nappies - its just the casual use of the potty I am wondering about.

She always tells us when she is about to do a wee or poo, so we figured that sounded ready, even though 21 months seems young.  She just stopped on the second day of PT - and wont tell us again now.  We really annoyed her!

I don't agree with leaving it too long, but I do agree 21 months seems young - we just thought we would try it since she seemed to know what was going on - as I say the first 2 days were perfect!

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Not sure if this'll be helpful or not. D was older than 21 mths but did go into denial over poos in her nappy after a long time of telling us and demanding instant changing. Now whether this was because the childminders' had been sitting her on a potty and we had occasionally too I don't know.

D's just two and a half and we've just forgotten the potty and gone straight to a step up stool and little seat thing on the toilet and she's trained INSTANTLY - it was easy. So I'd definitely not worry about it at all - maybe even ditch the potty and put it away for a bit.

Poll

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are kinda letting her take the lead for the moment.  She woke up dry, so happily sat on the potty after nap.
We shall just see how it goes I suppose - I just dont want to annoy her away from ever using it!
Going straight to the toilet sounds ok - the only issue with that is that there are 2 flights of stairs from the kitchen to the bathroom - 4 from the front door to the bathroom - so we didn't think she could manage to get to the bathroom whilst she is still new to being "dry".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts