Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent been giving K any water as I read somewhere you didnt need to at her age -4m next week-but its quite hot these days and I am reading of others giving their little one water.

What should I be doing...and how should I prepare it (bear in mind Im a bit lost on this as am using ready made formula ;) )

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Until 6 months any water given should be cooled boiled water, and from around 4 months I started giving a beaker with water in to get them used to it.

Chux xx

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Chux

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
i give Maisie moo a little beaker with cooled boiled water i did start by offering it to her in the bottle but then read somewhere it confused them  ??? works for us to show her the beaker or bottle and now she kind of -knows- what she wants  :) she now drinks very well, she has an obsession with drinking from our cups tho  ^idiot^

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Emmyloupink - You could always try her with a doidy cup or even just a normal beaker - with it being summer so nice and warm, plus just water so not sticky, it's a great time for her to experiment!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Jo ~ ive been giving L cooled boiled water since about 4 weeks. Initially it was hv's idea to get him to go longer bewtween feed, but the little monkey was having none of it  ::) its also good if he gets a little constipated, having a drink of water helps loosen his bowels.

Not all babies will drink water, L's funny most of the time he will drink it and other times he's just not interested.

NIkki xx

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you put it in a bottle or beaker hon?

Also, excuse my ignorance but I have heard of doidy cups but dont know what they are.... :) ::)

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Ive been putting it in his bottle, tbh wasnt sure what age they have it in a beaker

Just trying to do some research  ;D

I have no idea what a doidy cup is either  ;D

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
my goodness those cups look like special needs cups,we have some in the nursery!

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
they just look so gorwn up, not at all like they should be used at 4 months  ;D

Will have to give it a try in a few weeks

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah but as K was cupfeeding for 3d at 1w I am thinking she can handle that  ;D

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
M has had water since she was about 4 months - i never let her hold the doidy cup, i still dont!!!!

She does hae it in a bottle - and that is good and bad! She will drink from a beaker or a bottle, but is quite demanding aobut getting her bottle and will walk round with it all day (she doesn't drink juice).  it's a bit of a nightmare!  I think it is a bit of a substitute dummy.

however it is great at night, as i can just chuck a bottle of water in to her and she will go back to sleep on it. (saves me messing around to get bottles of milk!)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just a quickie to say DD didn't take water in any shape or form until she was over 1 occassionally if it was very hot she would try a little but that was it!!

HV said some babies just don't need as much fluid as others and so long as she was well hydrated in other ways not to worry( best clue being regular wet nappies with clear urine) . Even now she still drinks much less fliud than her peers but she does drink it now.

so do offer the water but if they don't drink it don't stress too much

hope this helps

Fran

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Along similar lines, when J wasn't getting enough fluids my HV told me to slosh a bit of water into his solids.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Chux

that's what I use to do too, when really hot would add extra ounce of water to milk

Fran

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hi,

I've read this thread with interest - I was just about to post one with questions about drinking water!  Thomas is 6½ months and has been on solids for nearly 4 weeks now.  I've been following GF's weaning book which is working really well for him.

He's had chicken for lunch a couple of days now, and GF says that once protein is established you should drop the milk beforehand and give water / diluted juice afterwards.  (Giving milk at the same time as meat means the protein can't be absorbed properly.)

So far I've tried two different beakers as well as his normal bottle - and watered juice as well as plain water - but the moment he realises the liquid isn't milk he refuses point blank.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I guess I could try a doidy cup as well, but I can see me accumulating a whole collection of different cups and beakers  ;D 

Overall Thomas has 22-24oz of formula, plus baby rice mixed with water, so he's probably getting enough fluids for now ... at least while the weather isn't too hot. 

Katy x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I would just persevere with the water. J took ages before he would start drinking his - at least a couple of months - but then he started with picking up the cup, playing with it, and eventually he put it in his mouth. I always left a beaker of water around so he could get at it during the day too.

At one point I was getting quite worried as he wasn't drinking but the HV said to just mix a bit of water in with his solids so that's what I did.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Funnily enough Thomas has taken 1oz from the Tommee Tippee beaker this lunchtime.  I gave it to him at intervals during the meal, rather than at the end. 

I think he was more interested in chewing the spout really (suspect he's teething!) but at least it's progress.

K x

1 - 20 of 20 Posts