Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,
Both my girls are on Gaviscon and I'm finding it a real hassle to give it to them.  When Josh was on Gaviscon it was a gloopy liquid that we syringed in, but this is in powder form that you're supposed to mix into their bottles or mix with a bit of water.  I am breast-feeding, and it's a bit tricky.  I have tried giving it via a spoon, as the packet suggests, or by syringe, but it just dribbles straight out again ;D  The only way seems to be to mix it in a teat & give it that way.  When we're out and about, and feeding on demand, it's really hard to make sure they get it.

I just wondered if I'm missing an obvious way of giving it to them, or if I have to carry a load of sterilised bottles around with me?

xx Clare  :-*

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hello

what kind of seringes have you got?

My little one has taken medecines early on and once they get used to it it is fine.
The other thought I have is a cup. In special care they said that the cup has a similar way of giving food as breastfeeding. I am not too sure why but may be if you ask your pharnacist it may work.
Last but not least there are medecinal dummies you can buy where babies suck on the dummy and it goes directly in the back of their throats and that would be smaller than bottles too.

Good luck

Steph

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steph, the dummy idea sounds good - I'll ask my GP.  Maybe it's just that Josh was used to taking lots of stuff via syringe; the girls might need a bit of time to get used to it...

Barbie, I asked the GP when she prescribed it, and she said she could only give the powder :)

Thanks girls :)

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Clare I have one of the dummies, got it for Isabel but then se decided she would take a spoon so it never got used! got it from mothercare, how much do you have to mix up the dummies take 3ml a random amount in my eyes

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5ml, although tbh I mix it with less as it takes such an age for them to take.  I didn't realise you could buy them from Mothercare - this could be our solution! ^banana^

xx Clare

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
hi clare
what a pain the powder is to make up  :mad:  hey ho
my LO was in SCBU and we cup fed her for a few days.. She did  it so well (bless her) and have recently tried to give her gaviscon too (also bf) so tried a spoon and it went everywhere... then the cup and it worked a treat although now she is making glurgly gob stopper sounds when bf  ::) so wondering if she's confusing the different techniques so thought I may try a syringe next..
have you tried cup feeding? (small plastic cup similar to cough medicine dispenser) they manage it so well and they're a little older than my lo and may not confuse it with the boob.
A fellow ff said it (gavi) can give them constipation and have definetly noticed her poo is less liquidy.. by using less water has it made them bunged up?
x

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
hey clare, my lo was on infant gaviscon (still in one bottle per day) and we tried ranitidine and omeprazole (which worked a treat!).  the latter two were given by syringe starting from when he was 3 weeks old.  it was hard to get him to take any meds via syringe at first but after a few weeks it got a lot better.  we had episodes of choking, of spitting it out, of not opening his mouth. . . you get the picture.  how many doses are they on per day?  just thinking if you can put the gaviscon in with some expressed milk even part of the time?  failing that, i'd keep on with the syringes and know that it does get easier.  my lo had syringed meds from 3 weeks old up to 5 months at least 2 - 3 times per day and he's an old pro with the calpol now  ;D ;D ;D  good luck sweetie x

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Alisha, what a beautiful baby you have :)  I'll give cup feeding a go too - see what suits them best.  I'm not sure about the nappies - I hadn't really been looking out for it.  They are less runny I guess; I just assumed it was because they were getting bigger and their digestive systems were changing ???

Clare, with the medicine dummy do you have to add the medicine and feed it immediately, or is the medicine 'contained'?  I'm really after something I can put the mixture into, and take out with me to give after a feed.  I guess that's just a bottle, really! ;D  ooh - thanks for the link!

Moondoggie, hoping the Gaviscon will be enough without resorting to any more meds, although Ranit & Domperidone were great for Josh.  I guess they're just not used to the syringe yet

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Clare it is containted you screw the back on and guessing they can't leak or medicine would escape but thinking about it it would come out of the hole on the dummy where baby sucks

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So there's no cap on the dummy end?  I wondered if it might be like those dummies that have a cover to keep them sterile.  Still would be easier than a normal teat though - I'll try to get a couple this week.  Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
I think there is a knack to the syringing.

When we've used one we squirt it in the back of the mouth on the outside of the gum and it doesn't tend to come back out.

xx

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Clare

Are you able to solely breastfeed both girls?
I assume that it is a yes otherwise you would have mixed the gaviscon with a bottle!
Have you tried to express a bit to mix with the gaviscon to give it orally (cup, spoon or seringe)?
steph

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Clare

if there is no cap then maybe if you ave a small bottle that can be setrelised with the right amount of water kept warmish (easier for Gaviscon to mix) and then you can pour in the dummies after mixing and that may work. For us Gaviscon has been a nightmare because it made the formula vert thick and we use to add more water to thiner it and to help James with the constipation.

good luck anyway

Steph

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone, you've given me some ideas :) 
Steph, yes I b/feed the girls, although they have an expressed bottle last thing at night to which I add the Gaviscon :)

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Clare if you want a dummy to try can send you the one we have to try as I say Isabel never used it just been sat in our dummy box since we got it we opened it so couldn't take it back

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That would be lovely - thanks Clare ^hugme^  I'll pm you my address :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts