Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 2 year old twins have been having milk in bottles twice a day until a week and a half ago. I thought it was time to try and get them to drink milk out of cups instead but they just won't even try to drink from the cup I offer. They have water to drink throughout the day in a cup with a straw or now they can use the Tommee Tippee cups that are for 24 months + but I've been trying to get them to drink milk from the 360 cup. Should I persevere or change cups?

They eat a lot of yoghurt and a bit of cheese but I'd still like them to drink some milk as well.

Any advice would be gratefully received as I don't know what to do about it!!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
Hiya
They probably just associate milk with a bottle - and water with a cup. Maybe try letting them pick a new cup from the supermarket just for milk - we used the Cow Cup - and you might get more success. Generally given time they will drink it though  ^hugme^ ^hugme^
Rx

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I would do what Staly has advised or just keep to bottles. My DS still has his night milk in his bottle, I would rather he drink all his milk, when its in a cup he does not drink as much.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Mine was younger when we went onto cup (although be it sippy at 1st!) and now at almost 2 has moved to cup (hit and miss) At 1st she wouldn't drink from it, but after months (yes...months!) she got used to it. i had no choice but to persevere as she gave up the boob and had never had bottle. I wuold think that if you  persevere, they'll eventually just start. My HV told ne that so long as they had cheese, yogurt and milk on cereal and in foods, I shouldn't worry too much, so I didn't. They'll get there. I tend to use any old cup and hard chips if she doesn't like it ...she seems used to a mix of stuff and mummy being disorganised though!

Good luck!

Kay xxx

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
We changed from bottle to cup at around the same time, as all our earlier attempts seemed to coincide with illness or some other thing that made us put it off (but maybe that was just us going for the easy option), but our son refused point blank to even try it.
He has had water in various cups and cups with spouts and straws, but he just wasn't interested in his milk from one of those.
I think he just liked the whole warm milk/bottle thing and found it comforting - which made total sense, seeing as he'd had since about 6 months old.

So we reluctantly gave up trying and although I was initially worried about his calcium intake, a friend of mine gave me a list of other sources of calcium and how much a typical 2 year old needed (her daughter was allergic to cow's milk) and once I saw that, I realised that he was getting more than enough from other sources - cheese, yoghurt, broccoli, spinach etc.

He still isn't really interested in milk as a drink but has it on his cereals. But I like to think that he'll enjoy it as a cold drink soon enough, alongside his water.

So all I'd say is that it may be worth totting up their typical calcium intake and if it seems like they are getting plenty anyway, then not stress yourselves too much about it.

Good luck

xxx

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
mine never wanted to drink milk out of anything other than a teated bottle. they did have a bit from a bottle with a cup with a silicone teat, but nowhere near enough..it was this i went to after teated bottle

http://nuby.com/en-GB/nuby/cups-spouts/9900

i stopped mine from having milk in teated bottles at one but i wish id carried on abit longer

you could try cartons toddler milk, sma do them, individual, with straws. there 58p each though ^hugme^

http://www.boots.com/en/SMA-Toddler-milk-200ml_1107203/

mine just have it on there cereal, yoghurts, cheese etc. and rice pud/semolina before bed. but im still trying to get them to have milk as a drink. considering ovaltine but its sugary (though has vitamins). i give mine liquid abidec vitamins and multi vitamin cereals.....think im gonna get some more of these milk cartons above again. i only open one though and they share as they can only be used for 1/2 hrs i cant remember (like formula)....and you dont want to waste for that price. milkman do cows milk cartons 18p each but mine wouldent entertain, think these must taste nicer.

hope thats useful! ;D ^hugme^

/links

1 - 6 of 6 Posts