Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:'( :'( :'(

It is with dread that I have come to a decision to stop bf.

Shasmeen never really drank for long periods of time, only 5min max at a time and still does so near enough every hour or so sometimes longer.

She also has been drinking for a few seconds then pulling off and crying and that is breaking my ^Heart^ as I so want to enjoy her.

I have tried expressing but to be producing the supply she needs I will be expressing every 3 hours or so and its been draining me!

Today I bought some aptamil powder and going to give that a go ~ does anyone have ideas as to how I can start her on the new milk? ^hugme^

Many thanks

Glamis . . . ^rainbow^

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi Glamis,

HUGE (((hugs))) sweetie - I so know how much you want(ed) this to work for you and Shasmeen  ^hugme^

The only real advice I can give is NOT to go cold turkey and stop BF immediately - you'll get engorgement and most likely full blown mastitis which is just awful (either keep expressing or do a few bf a day and wean gradually)

Maybe offer her a bottle this evening after a bath or for her late evening feed as she should be most relaxed and ready to sleep. In terms of the amounts, initially be guided by her weight to start with (the formula box will advise) and if she drains the same amount a few times in a row, then up by an oz (30mls) and see how she goes.

By swapping one or two breast feeds with formula you may find Shasmeen is much more settled and you may have lots of success with mixed feeding so you could continue some BF too, if that's what you want  :)

Good luck sweetie - sending you lots of hugs

S xxx

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Glamis

Firstly BF is ^censored^ hard. Well done you for keeping going so long!!!
Will  your little one take expressed BM from a bottle? If so you've managed half the battle.
We used to give Amy a BF first, then if she was still hungry it was Expressed milk, then Formula. Later it became BF, then formula (never seemed to have time to express!) and finally we moved onto fully formula at about 3 months.

You need to drop the breast feeds slowly. If you don't you'll be come engorged (painful!) which can then lead to all sorts of nasties.  Drop the most difficult feed first (e.g. with Amy it was the 7pm feed - all too tired), then leave it 3 or 4 days and drop another.

You might however find that dropping one or two feeds a day is all you need to get things working again. There is nothing wrong with mixed feeding! Do what works for you.

Good luck and well done!! ^banana^

Deb

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Glamis - Firstly big hugs to you but also a massive pat on the back for BF'ing as long as you have - I know you've really battled with it and have done brilliantly to feed as long as you have.

Secondly I agree with the others - don't go cold turkey, maybe even try mixed feeding and see how you get on. Either way, there's way more to being a mommy than BF'ing your LO so I hope you aren't beating yourself up over your decision.

Chux xx

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
hi glamis - you have done so well huni  ;) its a hard decision to make - but i think you have done really well to get so far (i only lasted 5 weeks  ::) ) its so hard and i know you have not had it easy - i really think you are a star  :)

anyway - i just wanted to say that people recomended to me that i should gradually get rid of my milk by expressing etc - but my lovely hv said it would persevere the pain, so her recomendation was to stop, take paracetamol and 'ride it out'. she said the pain would then stop within 24-48 hours - i wasnt convinced but decided to try it - and she was right  :eek: it did stop after just over a day. but maybe i was lucky who knows. i know if i ever have another baby though i will do the same once i give up bf. good luck hun  :-*

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you ladies :'(

You all are so wonderful ^hugme^

Feel so relieved that df supports me too ! :'(

Last nite we fed her 3oz at 8pm she then settled at around 10pm til 1am then she drank a mere 1oz til 3am then I bf her then again at 6am then again at about 9.30am and she has now nodded off from 11.30am ~ she also rolled over onto her back from laying on her tummy on my lap ^banana^ ^banana^

Shasmeen seems to have a ikkle cold was very blocked up last nite so that also could be the reason she was so miserable and not drinking alot, any ideas what we can give her please, plus yesterday we were out for a long time so she could of gotten very hot and bothered.

Really appreciate all your support ~ it means so much to have lots of ff ^hugme^

Many thanks

Glamis . . . ^rainbow^

Spoke too soon ~ someones calling!

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Hi Glamis

I just wanted to send you a hooge ^hugme^ too!

I don't know if you've noticed all of my angst ridden posts about breast feeding but if not we have really struggled too. We've had so many problems with feeding and then last week it all reached a horrible climax - William had lost so much weight he nearly had to go in to hospital. Like you i've had to make the very difficult decision to stop breast feeding and I have never sobbed so much, I so very desperately wanted it to work. It seems that William just can't do breast feeding properly (supply has never been a problem), we have tried everything.

What I've decided to do is continue expressing but not go too mad. I'm going to bottle feed ( :'( ) him Aptamil but store up all the breast milk I manage to produce and give him one feed, or more if I'm lucky, of EBM via a bottle per day. Other than that I'm going to let him use me as a 'human dummy'!

I introduced the Aptamil 6 days ago, plus EBM, all given via a cup 'cos I hadn't decided what I was going to do and I have to say he's a different baby just 'cos he's having had enough to fill him up for the first time in his poor little life - he's content, smiling, sleeping well and most importantly gaining weight (and really quickly too!)

But I gave him his very first bottle last night and given the problems he's had sucking I really wasn't sure if he'd manage (to date he has effectively been kept going by cup feeding him.) Well he wolfed it down and took 180 mls (which I think is about 6ozs!)

Am am still so sad that I can't do it myself but when it came to the crunch William's health had to come first. It's awful though isn't it? I'm just trying to take the attitude that hopefully one day we'll be lucky enough to have another baby and hopefully he / she will be able to breast feed.

Well done though for keeping it going so long. I've often seen your posts (but was so clueless myself there's no way I could have helped) and did feel for you 'cos I knew how horrible it is.

I hope little Shasmeen will now go from strength to strength and stop worrying her Mummy!

Take care
B xx :-*

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Hi all,

Just been reading through posts and so glad I found this one. I've bf'd Bobbie for 4 weeks, and was getting very frustrated with it, just being so tired and DH not being able to help, that I decided to do mixed feeding and see how we got on. I felt so guilty - the MW's constant "encouragement" to Bf really got to me - that I cried for  a whole day. I have been expressing for a week and he has one maybe two expressed bottle feeds a day and the others are Aptamil. He seems so much happier, fuller and sleeps a bit better too, but I still feel guilty. No one tells you before hand how hard bf'ing is, even though its such a lovely experience bonding with your baby. I'm so much more chilled now that DH and I can share feeding, an dI feel that I can leave the house without being in a blind panic about where i can feed him - I'm not one of those lucky ladies that feels they can wap boobie out anywhere!

Anyway, I think we've all done a great job and our babies have had the best start with those first few weeks or months of bf'ing.

K
xxxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts