Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dp thinks I've lost the plot wanting to go abroad for a holiday..  :-[
maybe I'm getting a head of myself too  ???
It wasn't until he mentioned the heat.. that it dawned on me  ::) (must be the sleep deprevation)
but I spose its not possible then ..

So how young have you taken your little one abroad? am I mad to even of thought of it?

where would you suggest? (a bit of sunshine would go down a real treat!)

thanks for your thoughts :)

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
Alisha I took my LO to Australia at 4 months with no problem at all. The younger they are the easier it is to travel with them, in my opinion. You can buy baby sunscreen and a shade cover for the pram, it's not hard to keep them out of the direct sun most of the time, and I found my LO slept really well at the end of a hot day! Just make sure they drink plenty to keep hydrated and tell your DH that people raise children in hot climates everywhere ;D
Blu

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
I think it depends on where you go TBH. The summer after N was born was sooooo hot, he slept in his nappy & we had to stay indoors because it was just tooooo hot for him to be outside even in the shade. On the odd occasion we went out he had to be dressed to be in is pushchair & he was soaked with sweat very quickly :-\

I think some sunshine is a great thing, makes you feel better but bear in mind you want to be able to sleep too.  ^hugme^

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blu.. yeah good point! wow that was brave of you.. how did bubs cope with the heat in australia?

prof waffle.... mmmee that's what a friend has said.. their baby was so miserable with the heat they had a terrible holiday  :-\ It would obviously depend where we went and how hot it would be..

DP is worried about medical /health services and points of emergency and says I'm being ridiculous..
he thinks we shouldn't go on holiday at all  :(

thing is with blightly we went to cornwall a few years ago and practically got washed away! well we were camping.. which I guess is out of the question.  ;D or is it.. ..  ^idiot^

G

·
hi alisha,

i went to spain when my dd was 7 mths old....your definetly better off going before she starts weaning..cus then you have to take everything bar the kitchen sink with you ;D...as i was bf it was pretty easy...only 2 hour flight which was short and sweet...there was only an hours difference in time...i dont think your mad for wanting to go..if your flying to europe you can get free European Health Insurance card...

check out the nhs health related travel advice:-
www.dh.gov.uk/travellers

you may also want to wait until shes had her jabs..and remember to only buy bottle water for your dd if you do give her any water from wherever you do decide to go....saying that it was pretty stressful sorting out the holiday plans in advance i was also concerned about being able to find medical services out there-so you will have to do some homework before you go...

let us know what you decide..
:-* :-* :-*

/links

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
Alisha - Australia was fine, my family are there and most places have air-con. We were'nt there for the hottest part of summer last year but we were this year - we just kept in the cool in the hottest part of the day.

As for medical / health services, unless you're going anywhere really remote then you'll be fine. There are travel insurance products that give you numbers for a UK doctor that you can call anywhere in the world and they'll advise you on local hospitals, meicines etc.

Blu

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Hmm

I'm off to portugal on thursday with my 18 week old! Only going cause it's villa and loads of family going to be there for help - but why the hell not!?

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
We had the same with Blighty weather, last year we sat on Gt Yarmouth beach & it was so foggy we couldn't see the end of the pier!

We're taking the middle road & going to France this year with hopefully a full-on holiday to Turkey next year if this goes well!

I know people who've taken babies to all sorts of hot places & done ok - in some ways I wish we'd done a flight when N was smaller so he was used to it by now.I think humidity is the main problem in the UK when coupled with heat. Dry heat is sometimes better & if you'v got air-con you should be ok, just be aware to feed more fluids in general & keep bubs in the shade as much as poss.

As far as medical things go I would say that was the least of my worries, most holiday resorts will have English speaking pharmacists & Dr's.

Good luck wherever you decide to go, hope you can persaude DH that it's a good idea too!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I agree with Blu, the younger they are, the easier it is!

I fly regularly alone with Lola, and believe me, I thought I was super-mum the first few times when she was under 8 months, because she'd either sleep or sit on my lap. After that, it was like trying to contain a jumping jellybean. It's a bit easier now she can toddle up and down the aisle, but still hard work especially alone.

As long as you stick to an established holiday resort, the health care won't be a problem. And I'd limit your flight to 4 hours max too. I'd say Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Turkey are all ideal, and if you go either June or September then the heat won't be unbearable.

Love Jo xx

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Lanzarote is nice.

Most parts have a nice breeze & the flight is 4 hours.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your comments you've been very helpful..  ^hugme^  :-* I've been looking at the shade a babe too which looks pretty good. anyone got one.. or can recommend any other essentials?

siobhan yeah love the canaries .. that's  a good possiblilty

Jo your LO looks a right cutie thanks for your sound advice  ^hugme^ the jumping jellybean sounds a right handful  ;D reckon you must be a supermum going away on your own with LO  :eek: well done you  :)

prof waffle  hope the france holiday is good.. we went to northern france last year and the weather was
a bit pants but certainly beat the endless rain here.

blu .. staying with family kinda makes it a bit easier .. still what a long flight for you and babes  :eek:

outspan  have a  great time in portugal .. own villa is a good way of doing it too...

thanks barbiedoll ..good thinking there .. re: her jabs.. any in particular that I should wait for? she'll be nearly 6 months in september when I hope to go somewhere ..

certainly don't plan on going off the beaten track anywhere .. I'm trying to tempt dp with nice Italian food and the coolness of the Italian lakes  ;)
let you know how I get on!
thanks again xx

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Having been on 2 holidays abroad I would say go before they are mobile. Plus villa was definitely easier than hotel.

We went to Portugal in Sept and Jenna was only just walking, we had a villa with a pool Jenna was 14 months then and still happy to go in a travel cot under the umbrella so that I could read by the pool.

Just back from hotel in Lanzrote and it was much more difficult with a running jumping climbing toddler. Although food wise it was much easier this time as she pretty much eats what we do now.

Temperature wise September and April were both good not too hot during the day and cool at night.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
alisha

just returned from portugal with no problems to report. but of a learning curve for a few small niggly things but nothing major to put me off doing it again.

Well worth it, get yourself on that plane!!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
We took DD on her first flight at 7 months to America. I had the same initial worries as your DH with the medical care etc going abroad but America is first class and has no language barrier.

We stayed in a villa which was easy and I breast fed which again meant for an easy life with no worries of mixing and storing bottles in the summer heat.

She has now been on 16 flights (including Australia and Indonesia) in all and she has just turned 2!! Once you have done it once, you will realise how great it is. I agree with the others though, the older they get the harder it is to occupy them etc.

A few tips would be to keep cool in the intense midday heat. We got up and went out early to enjoy ourselves while it was still not blazing hot.

The pushchair sunshades that have 100% UV protection and come right down over bubs are amazing. They take the worry out of it and in fact keep bubs really cool too.

Lastly if you keep yourself well hydrated and rested, bubs will benefit too. We didnt expect to have late nights and kinda went to bed really quite early with the children ready for an early start. We felt strange doing this but in fact we enjoyed the daytime with our children so much better.

Its fantastic, brings you really close together as a family (a sort of shared adventure) and is lovely to watch your LO in a new exciting environment.

Have a wonderful time and if your prepared for it to be 'different' to the pre children holidays you've had, you wont look back.

Mae.x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts