Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. So we have booked a holiday to Spain on an all inclusive hoilday, its not until May but i'm wondering if we shouldn't go. DS2 will be 9/10months what i'm wondering is how i will sterilise his bottle, amke them up etc. Is it ok to use the water? Because i thought you had to drink bottled water, is that ok to use for the bottles as i know mineral water isn't. Any advise would be appreicated.***

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hi Mel!
You should DEFINITELY go! :)  I travelled with J when he was 6 months and although he was bf I decided to have emergency bottles as we were going to be on the road a lot for a few days (and did end up using them) What I did was get hold of a couple of Mothercare self-sterilising bottles - you basically put 30ml of water in the cap, place teat and ring in the cap and attach bottle on upside down. 90 seconds in the microwave and it's done. At 9 months your baby will be properly weaned so number of bottles will be far smaller than what he is having now, or else he could be having water from a sippy cup during the day. Bottled mineral water is fine as long as you go for a brand that is low in sodium  (agua oligomineral). I have given J bottles made up with low sodium bottled water when necessary. Or else, if you're really worried, you could leave some space in your  suitcase for some pre-mixed formula (sma definitely do the premixed kind in small cartons) - that way you don't need to worry.
Most of all, I'd email or call the resort ahead and check whether they might let you have a kettle in the room  which they probably will(or buy a cheap small one there if not).
Hope that helps a little!!
X

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks biker girl. He will be on less bottles by then and i did think i could take carton formula, but i'm not sure if we will have a microwave to sterilise the bottle, i think i'll email the travel company and find out.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If that fails you could always take milton tabs, or  if you don't want the hassle of carrying a plastic container around mothercare make some fab sterilising bags which you basically just fill with tap water as the sterilising agent is already in. My SIL has used these when travelling.
X

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi Mel

We went to Cyprus with our then 4 month old twins back in July, it was a lot easier than I expected.
I used milton tablets - have used these ever since so much easier than steam sterlising.
We have prescription formula so had to take own tins but in a lot of these main stream places you can buy SMA etc although not sure how expensive.

In Cyprus they have a separate water drinking taps which I used the water from here for sterlising but boiled bottled water for the bottles.

When flying we made up water bottle and carried the powder in the actual tin, at customs they said this was the best way as I had to sip from every bottle and if I had had ready mixed cartons they would have made us open and try every carton.

If baby has a dummy this can be handy for take off and landing but mine seemed ok anyway.

Best advice is to be prepared but otherwise enjoy as it ends up being no way near as daunting once you have done it and I would not hesitate to go again!

Have a lovely holiday in May!

Spangle xx

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. Sterilising bags look fab! Do you know if they only fit one at a time?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hello,

We went to Cyprus when Maia was 5 months!

We were just weaning her so for the journey took

3 jars of apple desert - can be eaten cold. You will have to open at least one to test.
Bottles - as many as we had and half filled with boiled then cooled water, then asked airline staff to fill to line with freshly boiled, meant bottle was more or less right temperature straight away (I know its not ideal but she wasn't a tiny baby!).  We also had prescription milk so carried the powder already measured, you can get containers from Tesco. 

Once there she was fine, at 9 months you wont be doing the pureeing I had to do!! Used Milton tabs as well, and never looked back, steam steriliser went out of window!

I used low sodium bottled water, she was fine on it.

Definitely go, we had a lovely time, so much so took her back at 16 months this year!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Hi mel,

We are also going abroad and my lo will be just under 10 months,i have been worrying about how to go on but have been getting tips off people.
I made sure i booked a hotel with kettle microwave fridge etc,I have got the microwave steriliser bags and you can do 2 at a time (shes on 3 bottles) so no prob really if that fails some 1 told me they boiled their bottles on the hob in a pan lol.
Im not really sure what im doin re food/bottles for the plane any ideas anyone? shes still on jars will they warm them for u? I dont know wether to take water in the bottles and powder seperate shes on comfort milk so cant get the cartons anyway.
Also im worried about getting food over there (gran canaria) as she hasnt taken to fresh yoghurts they dont seem to agree with her but shes fine with the cow and gate ones off the shelf but im worried what i will give her if i cant get them.

Any help appreciated good luck mel.xxx ^hugme^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts