More bad news from me. This cycle is not progressing well as I am not responding to the drugs. Beginning to wonder if a long cycle (with downregging) was a good idea or if something else is happening.
Had my first scan today (day 6 of stims) and not much happening. One follicle on my left ovary and a few very small ones on my right. The problem is that the left one is so much bigger than the others the doctor thinks we will have problems 1. getting any others on the left and 2. letting the right ones catch up.
Still on 450iu of Gonal-F. Bloods tomorrow and another scan on Monday I hope.Feeling very sad and have come home for a big cry.
On my last 2 cycles I responded very well to Puregon and had lots of good follies by this point. Don't know why this would happen. Maybe it could be the Humira (immune modulator). Not sure at all.
Hi everyone and thanks for the advice you've kindly given me. No, the hospital haven't indicated to me why they think my IUI attempts failed. I asked when I went up for my consultation if there were any further tests he thought I needed but was just told I needed another hormone screening and also one for HIV as they would be having to store my eggs ?! I have no idea if I have any other health problems because basically they haven't offered to check ! I see the doc on Feb 11 so I'm going to ask lots of questions then !!!! Also I found it interesting about the E2 level mentioned. I am just so thankful that I've found this site as it seems the hospitals keep you in the dark on so many things !? I find the whole issue of IUI and IVF confusing anyway... Thanks again to everyone who answered me. Lots of love to all and LOTS of luck too.
Hello to all. I think I'm on the right site as I'm now 46.(apologies if I'm not) This is my first actual post I've logged on from time to time but never really thought I had anything to say.I did always gain comfort from what I read. I never thought that we would even get 'that phone call' from the clinic after 5 yrs of being on the w/l for DE.
I had a baseline scan on 6th Jan (got a few fibroids apparently nothing to worry about) and got a phone call at work from very excited dh, saying the clinic said start taking my progynova Tuesday 11th as the donor had started her period. If all goes well we could be ET within the next 2wks. It's all just happened so quickly, that I'm still in an excited shock.
I think this may be our one and only chance/attempt due to funds and my age. If this is meant to happen then it will and we will have our little miracle.
Thanks to all for being there even though you didn't know it.
Love and big positive hugs and prayers
Hello goldies. I posted here before but have stopped for a while because it all seemed too much. I'm back though and just wanted to tell my bit of experience maybe to give a bit of hope to some goldies.I was waiting to start a cycle despite my consulatnat saying go straight to the DE list concluding that at 45 with a FSH of 16 I was a no hoper. I insisted to try a cycle and took myself off for some months and tried chinese medicine and acupuncture to reduce my fsh. I stopped that after a few months (too dear, too time consuming, no change). Ordered my ivf drugs and waited for af to arrive. Didnt arrive and I thought typical, no af, menopause has started. But no. I was pg naturally. Astonished of course. Sadly it only lasted 8 weeks and then I had a m/c. Had D and C (sept 2004)to clear things up and waited for first af to start ivf cycle. Af didnt arrive for 2 months waited for another 2 cycle and then started on 4th Jan 2005.Menopur 300 and buserilin. Response and scans zilch because apparently the corpus luteum is being kept going by the buserilin. So now I'm trying again with clomid- 2 years after the fisrt try. So, hope that gives some food for thought for people. I didnt want to say anything before because there seems to be no conclusion to offer but I think now the real value of this place is on going exchange of experiences so thats my contribution. Good luck and love to you all. albali xx
Thank you for posting to this thread and sharing your story. I am so very sad to read about your miscarriage and then the subsequent problems.
May I please ask you a question about one particular part? So sorry if this is insensitive.
You mentioned that on one attempt the Buserlin kept the corpus luteum going and there was no response. I am afraid that I may be going through something similar and would like your advice on how I could tell.
I started downregging on Boxing Day and started stimms 7 days ago. I did not respond to the stimms as they expected and I am now 450u of Gonal-F. The scan showed one large follie on the left and some very small ones on the right. Could the one on the left be the corpus luteum after all?
Any advice could be appreciated as I am deeply worried.
Flopsy - my last IVF cycle was cancelled as I did not have any response to the stimming as I was shut down from the Burselin too well. That beeping burselin was in my system for about 3 months giving me false fsh readings of 3 instead of my usual 6. I was told that I needed to have a short protocol next time as I had responded too well to the shut down side of things. As it has turned out we did not have the money for another attempt and felt that £8K was enough spent in the pursuit of another child when we could adopt but that is just how things turned out for us. Hugs to you.
Albali - I too had a natural pregnancy and then miscarriage in September 2004, despite all odds of getting pregnant naturally due to dh mf. It is a bitter blow to have a mc but gives hope that it will happen again and the baby will stick this time.
Thank you so much Lois, Jenni and Laine for all of your kind words, help and hugs.
Jenny - thank you for reminding me of your experience. It really brings home to me how bad downregging can be for us and what a mistake the clinic may have made.
***I've just had a call from the clinic to say that my E2 levels have doubled (from 500 to 1000) and they are a little more confident about this cycle***
I must say that I don' t feel this way at all. The big test moment will be the scan tomorrow (Monday) morning to see if this increased level is reflected in more follicles. Hopefully then I will see the good results and feel stupid for over-reacting and panicking this weekend. What a gamble to take though!
To say that I am worried is an understatement. When I discussed different cycles at the clinic I specifically said that I did not want to down-reg. At the Hammersmith they said they would never do this for an over-40 as we often have problems "coming back" and that is exactly what seems to have occured.
I've already blown our drugs budget as they "fine tune" my dose. This would not have happened on a short cycle - would it?
The specific worry that I have is the large follicle on my left ovary. The doctor who scanned me said it is unlikely that any others will grow there because it is so large. Well, how did this happen? Did it grow large because I did not respond to the early dosages of Merional?
Will I now get enough follies on my right side to make this worthwhile and will we be be able to afford the huge doses of gonal-f if this goes on forever? Because we are using sperm from a post-cancer biopsy we need plenty of eggs to make thawing this sperm worthwhile.
If we don't get enough follies it is may not be not worth thawing a precious vial of DH's sperm biopsy. We waste all the money on Humira, IVIG this cycle unless I can think of a plan B and one is formulating. *****To transfer our two remaining frosties and use these if the current follies do not prove useful.*****
I guess that it is a wait and see until tomorrow. Not sure how feasible plan B is...
Thank you once again for listening. Sorry about the rant!
Flopsy - hope all goes well for you at the scan. I can well see your dilemma re dh's sperm. At least you have a good plan B as follow up. Hugs to you for the worry. I was annoyed with my clinic for down regging me. It is all fine tuning to them but it is cost to me as those drugs are so expensive and then to cancel the cycle as I had no response .....
Flopsy, I hope things improve for you after the scan. I agree with Jennifer that it's good you have a back-up plan.
I have just been put on an IUI cycle by the Lister. I'm not sure about this at all. The doc. reckoned I had as good a chance as ivf if I recruited more follies (she's got me on 450iu Puregon a day). Now I'm confused, because I was saving my money for ivf at Cornell, or 1 ivf here and 1 DE cycle in Spain. I got a different opinion from Dr. Thum at the Lister. He advised me to go to the States. I think I might abandon this cycle because it will end up costing me about £2k which is money I can't afford.
have posted on the childfree thread and feel that this is probably it now - time to think about getting off the IF rollercoaster after nearly 12 years of it !!!
will probably pop in from time to time and hope you are all ok - I guess some of you will be faced with this decision someday and hope we can help each other thru to those still trying dont forget the rest of your life too as it can take you over at times
thanks for all your kind words over the last year or so its time for some soul-searching now but there is some sense of relief mixed in there with every other emotion possible...at least we tried and boy did we try
Just had a call to say that my blood test results are back. They monitor estradiol levels and I had bloods taken this morning. My estradiol levels have actually dropped since yesterday. Not much but it should be going up rather than down.
This rather contradicts the scan this morning that showed a little more life on my ovaries than before. Still one prominent follicle on the left, the possibility of a couple more small ones on the left (totally unexpected). On the right a few small ones.
Bizarre or what?
They have asked me to call the doctor later tonight and discuss.
Any advice appreciated.
My ideas :
1. Change to Puregon (from Gonal-f) which I did respond to. I have some in the fridge and it is still OK date-wise. See what happens tomorrow.
2. Cut the dose of Suprefact and allow my own bodies hormones to take over a little. See what happens. Don't know how to stop the LH surge though.
3. Activate Plan B. Give up now. Change to a FET cycle and transfer the two survivors to the new clinic.
Not posting much at the moment as I'm finding things are really getting on top of me just now , however just wanted to say
Sarah - thinking of you lots , you have made the bravest of decisions & one I'm not too far away from ! I wish you luck in all you do .
Flopsy - what a difficult position to be in , I think you have too listen to your consultants advice but at the end of the day go with what is right for you & DH . May be give this cycle a chance if you have 3 follies they may be the ones & then you will still have your frosties to fall back on . Good luck whatever you decide .
Daisy - hope all is OK with you
Too ALL other Goldies , wishing you all well in all you do
Love Dollyzx xx
Sarah - I wish you all the best moving on to the next stage. Yes, this is an issue I may have to grapple with soon and part of me would like to stop now with my own eggs and move to DE just to increase the chances. Wishing you the very best for the future.
Flopsy - Sorry about this cycle. Not sure what you should do, but hope you and the consultant can formulate a plan.
Here is the protocol I was on at Cornell:-
300iu Puregon plus 150 Repronex (FSH/LH) per day.
Orgalutran. Pregnyl trigger. After retrieval, 4 days of steroids and anti-biotics plus 1cc progesterone in oil injections daily.
The was a good protocol for me and I made 6 garde A embryos (12,9,8,6,6,6 cells) which were all transferred. Cornell's live birth rate over 43 years is 9-10%. They have a better success rate over 40 than SIRM.
Dolly - Sorry things are getting to you right now. Thanks for posting.
I am in an awful mental state. I think I've realisted that this is my last cycle with own eggs and I'm terrified of making the wrong decision. The Doc. at the Lister suggested IUI, but I would like to abandon because the odds are so low. I have got pg 3 times with ivf never with iui, so it makes sense to me to do ivf for the last cycle.
The question is can I afford to go back to Cornell?? Even Dr. Thum thinks I have a better chance there so...??
Thanks for listening to my rambling. Wishing the best for all of us for 2005.
I have never posted on here but have read all your posts and followed your progress. I guess and please please don't take this wrongly that if I posted on the sites that weren't age related I could kid myself that age didn't matter, but the fact is that it does - to some extent.
Anyway what has made me post here today is because I have seen Flopsy's latest post on this and the ICSI board and Sarah (aka SAS Jane) and now Daisy's and I just wanted to put in my point of view on all I have read for what its worth....but before I do I just wanted to say that I am 42 am not a career woman or anything you read in the press that seem to categorise us all, yes I do have a very good job but I met my lovely DP when I was 34 after a few years I got pregnant and then had a ectopic where I nearly died and then have had (due to complications from the op after the ectopic)three ops in the last two years and two cancer scares before we finally got the go ahead for IVF phew!!!)
So anyway I just wanted to say that
Sarah - I know your DH has health probs and I totally admire your strength. Whilst I really admire your decision (and I think this is one I will have to reach at some point and it must be really hard - my DP will not even entertain donor eggs) anyway at the very least I think it will take the pressure of both of you and maybe, just maybe, with the pressure off you and your DH may have time to be yourselves and talk and come to decisions that don't have time dictating to you. You both have so much to contend with as it is, but having a little bit of time to To be yourselves will help you talk.
And ,maybe the end result will be the same or maybe he will be happy to see France (sorry was it there you went befor xmas) but you cannot say (as you pointed out in your post that you haven't tried everything, I really really wish you luck for the future)
Daisy, listen to your heart - what feels right for you - just sit quietly and whatever comes into your head - write it down and the answer will come to you. The doctors give you opinions based on history facts but no emotion, go with your heart and whatever the outcome thats what meant to be. Thats the way I am looking at it. I know whatever happens I have to accept even if its not what I want, wherever it is where I end up is where I am meant to be and no amount of money, tears, heartache or experience will change it or take me to a better place
I truly wish you all well
PS flopsy I posted earlier on the ARGC board for you I really hope something happens to salvage this cycle or your frosties are successful