Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm new to this treatment - we are due to start our treatment sometime next week and I have been prescribed Gonal-F from day 3 and then Ovitrelle and Cyclogest.

Just a query - I have been prescribed 37.5iu Gonal-F daily - this seems like a really really low dose! Is this normal? I went to the clinic last week to be shown how to use the pens etc and the fertility nurse commented that it was only a very small dose but didn't seem suprised. My concern is that we are going to go through all this and the low dose won't make any difference. Has anyone else been prescribed such a low dose on their first attempt? and if it doesn't seem to make much difference what happens then? Will I have to wait for my next cycle or will they just up the dose??

Many thanks

Cooky

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
Hi Cooky

Sorry to be a pain hun but are you having IVF or IUI? If your having IVF I would say that 37.5iu was very low... But then for IUI I would say thats about right. Although I have never had IUI. It seems to be about right.

Natalie xxx

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Natalie

Thanks for the reply.

We're having IUI to start with as due to mild male factor probs. I'd read other posts and thought that 37.5iu seemed low but then, like you say, they might have been referring to IVF.

Not sure how I'm going to cope with these injections . . . . I guess after the 1st one it gets easier? I should be starting them within the next week so fingers crossed.

It's reassuring that you think 37.5iu might be in the right region for IUI - thankyou.

Keeping fingers crossed for you!

Cooky

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I was on 600IU a day but that is the max dose for IVF are you doing IUI?
L x

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
Hi Cooky

37.5 does seem low hun, but the hospital know what they are doing... If your that worried hun give them a call and tell them your concerns. Have you got PCO?

With IUI you only need 1 good follie and I would imagine that your does would be enough. I had IVF and started on 150iu of Gonal F but then dropped down to 75iu and got 4 more follies from that. So it will work hun.

Dont worry with IVF you would be on a lot higher does, but IUI is fine.

Good luck hun
Natalie xxxx

·
Registered
107 Posts
It sounds okay for IUI - I was also on 37.5iu for OI & IUI - for IVF it was 150iu.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cooky,

I started on 37.5 years ago when they were doing monitored cycles on me - then increased to 75, then 112.5 and finally on my IVF cycle ended up at 300 daily, the most important thing is to get quality not quantity. If after your first scan no follies are there then I expect they will increase your dose. Is is important that you don't start injecting and shock the hell out of your ovaries as all they will do is trigger poor quality follies.

Please dont panic - you clinic/hospital know what they are doing.

Good luck with everything.

Nacknick. xx

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies - I'll stop worrying now as it seems that 37.5iu could be a reaonable starting dose for IUI. However - all the worrying has made AF late  :( - done a test just to check (BFN). I thought I'd mentally prepared myself to start injecting . . . the fridge is full of drugs . . . and now I'm still waiting for AF - guess it must be the stress (I'm a bit of a worrier anyway). I just can't seem to think of anything else :( Why is nothing ever straight forward?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cooky, I just noticed you are in Ferndown.  I am in Bournemouth - are you under Mr P at Bournemouth?

xx

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No - we're under Mr Dooley at Dorchester. Been seeing him at the POundbury but treatment at the Winterbourne.

Have a friend who had success with Mr P though

x

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cooky

You will have no problems if you are under Dooley - he is excellent.  I ended up having IVF at Winterborne (using Mr P - Dooley still had a mega waiting list back last autumn) - we received excellent treatment there, good luck with everything.

Nacknick. xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.