Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloody well done to all of you, let me know who would like to be joined to the list and the date you gave up.

Keep it up all of you ;D

Kia - 4th June 04
Sarahm68 - 1st August 04
Reb - 27th August 04
DebbieD - 30th August 04

A place for you to chat and encourage each other :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Just to let you know that I quit on 1st April this year...so nealry to the 6 month mark!  ;D ;D

Love Natsxx

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hiya Ladies,

Just wanted to give you all abit of encouragement.... I have been stopped 12wks today and I really do feel great.  It hasn't been easy at all, I was a total  ^witch^ my poor DH and Step-daughter felt so sorry for them!! ;D

The only bad thing I must say is that I have put a stone on but everyone keeps commenting on how much healthier I look.  Its not like I could afford to put the weight on because I am a size 14 anyway...

I stopped using patches for two days then cold turkey and I have cheated twice with a drag of a cig... I was sick on the second cheat!!! The thought of the taste makes me feel sick.   But then I still love the smell of cigs if someone was to walk past with one.. Strange!

I just wanted you to know that if I can do it anyone can GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!!  ;)

^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Love Kelly x

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Well Done Kelly !!
I too have given up and have lasted about a month !!  Had hypnotherapy and have found it easy - feel so much better - i can taste better and have much more energy - I can actually get up in the morning without wishing i was still in bed !!!  The house smells great !! and clothes !!!
Keep it up hun xx
Jennifer

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just wanted to say Well done JENNIFER!! I know what you mean about our clothes, house etc...

Thanks Woppa... Have you stopped?

Love Kelly x

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crazy 1st April 04
Kelly77 - June 04
Kia - 4th June 04
Jenifer31 - August 04
Sarahm68 - 1st August 04
Reb - 27th August 04
DebbieD - 30th August 04

^banana^ ^banana^ ^banana^ ^banana^ ^banana^ ^banana^ ^banana^

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Hi Everyone :)

Well Dh and I have decided to kick the evil habit!

We have about 2 weeks supply of ciggies left - duty free supply, so that's our target ...finish those and kick the evil weed ;D

So I have 2 questions .... which bit should I join for support and does anyone having any tips?

Thanks ... Belinda x ;)

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Bels, I have merged you into this thread as this is were you can get support and help one another. :)

I will update the list tomorrow unless another mod would mind doing it for me. Youll have to forgive me as have gastroenteritis at moment so not on here for long.

Lou xxxx

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Thanks Lou ... hope you feel better soon

Belinda xxx :)

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Oh Lou - Sorry - Hope you are feeling better soon xx xx

BELS !! Hello !!! long time no speak !  Well done on deciding to beat the weed !!!  I gave up and had hypnotherapy to help.  I can't tell you how much it helped me...  I hardly had any cravings and i just can't imagine being a smoker again !!!
Other tips which have helped me in the past are:
1. Start thinking of yourself as a non smoker now (you just happen to have the odd ***)  Positive thinking is a real help.
2. Get some liquorice in.  Apparently liquorice mimics nicotine in the body so helps with cravings.  If you hate it, sunflower seeds will do a similar thing ! (don't ask me why!!)
3. Break habits now.  If you normally have a ciggie straight after dinner, wait half an hour  :-X then have one.  It will help once you give up.
4. For the last day or two of smoking - put your butts in a jamjar.  Add an inch of water and replace the lid - when you want a cigarette - sniff the contents !!!
5. When you fancy a cigarette, brush your teeth.  Its never nice to smoke just after toothpaste.
I hope these help.
Wishing you and everyone else loads of luck xx
Jennifer
xx xx
ps - I am about £150 better off this month (for the IVF pot !!) and without ciggies and lighter I can fit everything I need in my tiny handbag !!!!  ;D

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Hey Jen ... How are you hun? :)

Thanks for the tips ... they are fab! I shall certainly be putting them into practise ;D

We are both finishing off our duty free ciggies and for some reason, now that we have a date set, they don't taste as nice  ;D

DH has decided that everytime he has a craving he will do 50 sit ups, so by the time we have quit, I'll have a fab hubby with a 6 pack  ;D

He also wants us to run everyday, as he feels that the healthier you feel, the less likely you are to fall off the wagon ;D plus he doesn't want either of us to put on weight ;D

I think cos we are both doing it this time, it will be easier .. I have always given up when on tx, but have gone back to smoking mainly cos he does and they are in the house! :( I think now that he is 43, plus the fact that he had a medical and they told him his blood pressure was slightly raised, probably due to the smoking it has given him the kick up the behind that quite frankly we both needed!

I also agree with the hand bag bit ... I am sick of looking for something in my bag and finding endless lighters and bits of tobacco instead of what I am looking for! ;D

Well done on your success and I wish everyone giving up loads of luck and support.

No doubt I will be on here frequently moaning, whinging and needing help ... so be warned ;D ;D ;D

Belinda xxxx

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Hi ladies ... can I join you please...

I gave up smoking TODAY.... I am quite worried I wont be able to do it as my dh is a smoker and he isnt interested in quitting....

well done to everyone for quitting.. I pray I can be as strong as you and that I have enough will power to get through this ....

Love and hugs

Tinks xxxx

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Hi Girlies !!

Congrats Tinks - Keep it up - I posted some tips for Bels a couple of posts back - hope they are helpful for you too.. If you struggle - get yourself a book on self hypnosis or see a hypnotherapist - it really does work xx xx

Bels - I wish my dp would do situps  ;) !!!  That is a good idea - what he says is true - the more healthy i feel, the less i want to spoil it by smoking !

As for me - I can't remember the exact date I gave up - am gonna check - 8 WEEKS AGO !!!  Since then: My taste has come back and food is lovely again (didn't know it had gone!!!) I am not coughing, my clothes do not smell, house smells nice, perfume is lovely again, my chest is not heavy, hangovers are not as bad (strange??!!), I have loads more energy !, I can wake up more easily in the mornings ! I am even sleeping better at night, I have more time to do things, I don't have to worry about going to places where I can't smoke, ie staying at Dads house, cinema, restaurants etc ! My bedsheets stay lovely and fresh smelling for longer ! My son is thrilled and dp is too, everyone I know is really proud of me ! And probably best of all, my skin is so much clearer ( I have always had really bad skin).  Plus I am not so scared the dreaded smoking related stuff (no details!).  Yuk
By the way - I was smoking more than 20 a day before I gave up.  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Good luck everyone xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Crazy 1st April 04
Kelly77 - June 04
Kia - 4th June 04
Jenifer31 - August 04
Sarahm68 - 1st August 04
Reb - 27th August 04
DebbieD - 30th August 04
Tinks78 - 20th Septmeber 04
Bels - in 2 weeks

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Ok ladies well it's 5.30 here and time for me to leave office tinks and change into wifey mother tinks ...

Tonight will be the struggle... I pray for some of your strength I can do it I want to do it I need to do ......

I will reveal all tomorrow.

Tinks xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi Girls,

Just an update on me.  I'm still not smoking it's been 3 weeks now and i have to say i'm surprised at myself.  I really found lollipops helped as it was something to do instead.

The big bonus is as dh has given up as well we've saved over £200 so far ;D ;D

Good luck everyone we can do it.

Debs xx

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi girls

Just wanted to pass on a bit of willpower!!!  You are all doing great, keep at it!

I was a smoker for 15 years, although in the last couple of years had cut down to 3-4 a day, but just could not kick them completely.

I gave up before 1st ICSI attempt but inbetween cycles would drift back to it, when the stress kicked in.

I finally gave up before last FET, which resulted in BFP, and my littel miracle Toby arrived 6 months ago.

Since then I have not looked back and although being pg did not actually put me off the smell of **** (I have heard it sometimes has that effect), I positively avoided any smoke AT ALL obviously for the sake of bubs...

I even hated going in pubs or restaurants for fear someone would light up near me.  DH aslo gave up at the same time.

Since being pg and giving birth I have never had so much as a slight craving and I don;t think I will ever touch one again.

I also love not smelling of smoke anymore!!!

So come on girls, if I could do it after many a failed attempt, you can!!!

Keep focussing on that BFP too!

love Vicky xxx

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Hey DAY 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Day one wasnt sooooo bad, last night I had a slight temptation but resisted ( yay me!!!!)

Ok mid day day 2 and still no ciggies....

I DONT SMOKE !!!!

Thanks for all your help ladies

Tinks xxxx

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
help please ....
  just finished my lunch and was trying to talk myself in buying a packet and hiding them cos no-one will know--

Who cares I will know, I so dont want to sell myself out on this.

what to do what to do xxxxx

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Tinks - you are doing well
You will feel so let down if you buy those dirty smelly **** - you will be so much prouder of yourself if you refuse to buy them - be strong - you can do it !!!  ;D
Good luck xx xx

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.