Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ruth

When I was having IVF I had a routine swab at the clinic for GBStrep
It was positive so me and dh were given antibiotics.
I plan to take a private swab at aout 36 weeks or whenever it's recommended.
But what I want to know is IF it's positive when/ how soon do you need to start the IV antibiotics in labour?
I'm still only 18 weeks so fingers crossed I get that far(!) but I want to stay at home for as long as poss. but one doc I saw said I need to go to hospital immediately when contractions start or my waters break.
Other people seem to be less conservative and say it can be later in labour.
Any advice would  be great
elvie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi

I was diagnosed with strep b a few weeks ago. My midwife and obs doctor dont seem overly concerned. As soon as i go into labour or my waters break i have to go in and have IV antibiotics for at least 4hours.

The worrying thing is that it can make the baby quite poorly if not detected and can infect them during their trip down the birth canal and im not sure why they dont test for strep B as part of an antenatal check. I only found out when i had tests in hospital for an infection.

Hope this is helpful to you.

All the best Mand x

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Clare and Manda

I guess one reason I was particularly wondering is that I'd like to stay at home after starting labour as I'm going to have a  trained midwife here as a birth partner. But if there's any risk I'll head to hospital. will take a look a the gbss site.
Also there's a good article in February's Junior Pregnancy and Baby on Gbs

Clare - love your photo - baby and you look fab

Elvie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts