Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that kids have growth spurts, and that they don't all follow the line on the chart, but Marcus really seems to be struggling.

He started off on the 98th centile, but that is when they were adjusting him for being 8 weeks premature.

Then he dropped to 75th centile, after they stopped adjusting.

Then he dropped to 50th centile some time late last year.

He is now 21 months and 83cm, putting him on the 25th centile as far as I can tell.

Anyone had anything like this?

Jane
xxx

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I don't have specific measurements but I have similar concerns with A.. i'm going to drop in at the HV next time i'm off to get him weighed properly etc... A as far as I can tell hasn't put any weight on since he was a year old, in fact at a year old he was 26lbs, then when he was weighed in hospital for his op he was 24lbs, that was nearly three months ago but all his trousers are too big round the waist now where as they weren't a couple of months ago...  ???

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Bev - is he getting longer though? I've found with mollie that although her weight doesn't seem to go up dramatically at the moment she is burning loads off as she is always on the go - and she is getting long!  None of her clothes are tight round the middle - maybe he's stretching out a bit?

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Jane - Hugs to you matey. Is it just his height line or weight too? J started on the 98th centile and went down to just above the 9th for weight but I think his height has been pretty steady between the 75th and 95th - can't be sure though as he's only had it done a handful of times. I was told they do eventually level out and just because they start at one of the extremes (for want of a better word) doesn't mean they will stay there.

Also are you and/or your dh on the short side or anyone in your family? J is tall for his age even though dh and me are average height, but FIL is convinced he gets it from his dad as he was tall (so J's great grandad).

Why not have a chat with your HV if you're worried or even post on the HV board here?

Chux xx

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bev - I would say Alex is doing exactly the right thing, everyone says they get skinnier as they get more mobile, even Marcus is slimming down a bit.

Chux - I am going to see my HV.  My DH is the [email protected] in his family and he is 6'2"!!  My family are not tall, my Dad is 5'9".  So I was imagining Marcus being somewhere in between.

I think what has triggered this is some old wives tale my Mum was telling me about, that when you are 2 you are half the height you will be as an adult.  LOL I said Marcus better go some in the next 3 months then or he is going to be 5'4" as a grown up!!!!  ^idiot^

Jane
xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Isn't there something in the red book where it tells you how to guesstimate what height they will be when they are older?? Try not to give too much thought to the old wives tale as it is exactly that in the same way that all the pregnancy ones are rubbish!!

Chux xx

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes there is, which if you follow it should put Marcus between 75 and 98 centiles. 

I guess I should stop worrying and assume he's going to catch up.  His consultant in special care told me that being 8 weeks prem he would be caught up by the time he was 3, I assumed that meant in development, but not in growing, because remember he was 6lb5oz and 39cm at 32 weeks!  ;D

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I would have thought it was generally and whilst he'll do some things when his peers do (same age by DOB) there will be other things that he'll do later. Heck, that's normal for any child let alone a prem one!

Like I said before, just because they start big doesn't mean they stay big. J was a heffer but is 'normal' weight now, you just can't tell but this is the same in that you don't know he's only gonna be a few feet when he's older cos he is now!!

Definitely talk to your HV - let us know what she says and good luck!

Chux xx

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I have had similar thoughts with Grace, she has definately got slimmer around the middle and her legs but I do think this is to the fact she is running everywhere and just never still.  She doesnt seem to have grown out of any clothes for ages but it does slow down.

She was always the 25 centile but if I have weighed her right she is now on the 10th but still on the 40th for height.  She is small.

As for old wives tales I was tiny at 2 and am 5ft 6 now so am distinctly average  ;D (exept at word twist before you say it chux  ^idiot^)
Ruth
x

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I spoke to my HV, and her response was "Oh my goodness"  :(

She's made an appointment to come out and give him a proper measure in a couple of weeks.  She mentioned things like calcium for his long bones, but he gets plenty of milk, also Vitamin D, but with the healthy and varied diet that he gets I cannot see this being an issue.

Perhaps when she comes out she may give him a different measure to the ones he has recently had in hospital, where it's just a quick pre op checkover.

Jane
xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Have you tried measuring him yourself as they do say it's not always accurate cos of them not standing still?

Good luck with the HV,

Chux xx

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Jane
Hope its all ok, good luck.
Hugs
Ruth
x

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Ladies,

Just an update...

Well the HV last night thought something might be up, she also measured him at 25th centile, her guidelines tell her to refer a LO if they drop more than one centile (i.e. from 91st to below 75th).

She said it could be something as simple as Vitamin D definciency, which comes from sunlight, and with Marcus being premature he might not have the necessary means to convert the poor sunshine we've had this year into Vitamin D.  She also talked about thyroid and growth hormone issues.

To be honest I was really knocked sideways.  I really expected her to say "Oh don't worry, everything is fine, he'll catch up soon".  So when she said she was concerned and wanted him to be referred I got a shock.

We've got an appointment with the Dr for the initial blood tests when we come home from holiday in two weeks.

Love to you all.

Jane
xx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Big hugs hun - i'm sure it's nothing serious.  M dropped from the 91st at birth to 9th by 10 weeks old, and no-one referred her, and i always thought they should have done!

You may be right that being a bit early might have affected things - but i'm sure he will catch up.  at least if you get him checked out they can put your mind at rest. ;)

Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Oh hugs to you matey ^hugme^ ^hugme^, I can imagine what a shock that was but fingers crossed it's all precautionary. I know when J dropped right down the centiles for weight the HV told me she HAD to refer as he'd crossed more than two lines and tbh, after the initial shock had passed, I was glad.

Let us know how you get on.

Chux xx

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Hugs honey, and lets hope its just "incase". 

Let us know how things go.
Ruth
xx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts