Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all really  :(

Just wondered if anyone else has a little one who suffers from 'growing pains'?  ??? I say growing pains as from what little I know they are not actually anything to do with 'growing'  ::) I have read today that if 'restless leg syndrome' is in the family this could be a precursor to that. I suffer and my brother does horrendously! I've also read it can be to do with anxiety issues which indeed DS2 does have  :(

My friends little one has suffered for a few years now so as soon as DS2 woke screaming in pain with his legs and feet a couple of weeks ago I knew what it was. Well it happened again last night and we really couldn't do anything for him  :( He won't let you rub his legs or feet, he won't let you cuddle him, and as for giving him any calpol etc forget it....an absolute impossibility where he's concerned  ::)

It's just so distressing as he's really screaming in agony. Last night it was only for an hour but the first time it went on and off all night  :(

Anyone else know much about it?

Thanks

S xx

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Don't know much about except Daisy wakes up every few weeks screaming that her leg/foot hurts...

It's really hard to see as there is nothing there and you really can't help!! I have resorted to a bit of nurofen sometimes!! Even took her to the docs, but he checked her joints/legs etc and there was no issues..

I thought growing pains were just an old fashioned phrase but maybe now..

Looking forward yo see any one elses responses

Starr xx

·
Registered
613 Posts
As a child I used to get really bad leg aches and my DS seems to have taken after me. What I find works now is a hot water bottle with a towel over it as well as a dose of calpol sometimes. The first time we used the hot water it was murder getting him to put his leg on it (I suppose it was fear of the unknown), but I kind of forced it and once there the relief must have been instant as that will be what he asks for now, and the last twice I have not needed the calpol.

S, I know what you mean about the calpol though, I have found that the times they really need a dose they refuse and more goes everywhere else rather than inside them  ::). It must be distressing for you seeing your DS in pain and screaming for an hour or more  ^hugme^. I hope tonight is better and there is no pain.

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
I also used to get terrible leg aches as a child and teenager, even into my 20s I think...

Matty gets them now  :(
I usually rub some arnica cream in (just to make him feel better, don't think it's helping much) and give him nurofen, hot water bottle, etc.

I used to find if I 'hugged' my leg quite tightly with my knee bent up towards my tummy, (clasped my hands around my shin) it helped.  Bit hard for smaller children to do, but worth a try?

Poor everyone suffering from it  ^hugme^
Claire x

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I also had this as a youngster, and even now when it's cold or raining, the pain comes back. I used to and still do, get in the shower and run the water on my legs for 15-20 minutes on the hot setting, the hotter the better; it's the only thing that soothes it!
^hugme^

·
Registered
841 Posts
I suffered as a child and still do when I get anxious - was explained to me that the ligaments and muscles around the joint get irritated (either from growth, excessive exercise or stress) and when you relax at night that's when the pain comes.  Made sense to me but didn't stop me getting my two referred to a peadiatric orthopod to get it checked out.  My two both suffer regularly.  I give them a does of ibrupofen and rub them.  If you can get them to just keep them still (it's hard) it will help as the more they move the more irritated the joint gets.

HJG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts