Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My DD turned 19 months yesterday and this was the day when she decided day time naps are for loosers. She has always been a wakeful child and would stay awake for a long time between naps. She went to one nap a day at 9 months. That said, she is a good sleeper and loves going to bed. Until recently she could sleep anywhere between 12 and 14 hrs at night, and 1-2.5 hrs in the day!!

I knew this day would come and that she would probably drop the daytime nap quite early, based on her personality, but I thought there would be some kind of warning! Literally one day she was wanting to go to bed at 12 md and the next she just was not tired. We left her in her cot for an hour earlier and she was singing postman pat loudly, screeching, lobbing her dummy, blankie and teddy across the room, then she started crying. When I went in, she wasn't at all upset or seeming tired - just pointing at the door and saying up up up. The last 2 days with no nap we have had no signs of tiredness at all and she has been very happy.

I know there was a thread on this recently and I realise she may well alternate between not napping and napping for a few months. I will try cutting her night time sleep to 11 hrs and see and if we can reinstigate an afternoon nap. Might also try a later afternooon nap just for half an hour. Has anyone tried this and had success? We are just about to try ICSI again and I could really do with a rest in the day time, do you think it would be a really bad idea to try a day time quiet lay down together or will she want that at night too?

Anyway, I know if she's happy it doesn't matter and it is a silly/selfish thing to worry about but how the hell am I going to get anything done???!!! I had hoped we might get another 6 months of naps out of her. There are times when she is good at amusing herself but others when she wants constant attention. I am going to have to completely rethink my housework/studying/bill paying strategy. Can anyone who's LO dropped naps early give me any tips on how to get organised???

Thanks ladies

Sue

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Hi Sue

No words of wisdom I'm afraid- but some sympathy! ;D

Heather dropped her nap at age 2- but about a month after Lucy was born(D'oh!) For 4 wonderful weeks I managed to get them into a pattern where they would both go to bed at the same time in the afternoon and I had lunch! ;D

Now things are different- Heather would happily sleep in the afternoon but we find that if we put her to bed at the usual time of 7pm she can be still awake at 9-10pm reading, talking, shouting us over the safety gate on her room. Its just not worth the hassle- so she doesn't sleep at all in the day but goes 7pm- 8am overnight.

My opinion is that I still have to get stuff done around the house during the day as scott can't be expected to earn the bread and cook it himself ;D- and for us it has meant that both girls don't get my 100% undivided attention the whole day. They have ahd to learn to occupy themselves- and Heather will read or draw at the kitchen table whilst I prepare dinner, or follow me round with a duster whilst I hoover! (some would call it child labour! ;D ) I do try and make time for them individually and play with both as best as I can but I am still a wife and a mother and have to try and prioritise.

Having said that there are days when it alll goes horribly wrong and we have pizza and chips infront of the telly!

We have a few set things we do in the week- usually see my mum a day, supermarket, toddler group etc and after that the world is my lobster(!) and we try and go with the flow. I can walk to the nearest shop with Heather walking and Lucy in the pram- and we often walk back via the park.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is that you need to prioritise what needs doing in the day- whats vitally important and what can wait till she's gone to bed- or till whenever (bit like housework in our house! :-[ ) I try and get the tea prepared, washing done and dishes/tidyiing up but it often goes a bit pearshaped. Try and enjoy it as it doesn't last forever- and you are going to be even busier with more treatment in the future.

Not sure it hsleps much but take care :)
love rachel x

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the sympathy! I am feeling a little less sorry for myself now! I had adjusted to the idea of no naps, and was seeing the positive side that we don't always have to be rushing to get back in time for naps/go out about and do more stuff. I have been reading up and will encourage her to have quiet time in her cot with her usual sleep routine but with some subdued lighting and books. I tried this the other day and it kind of worked - she got the idea after some protest.

Funny enough - after a few days of no naps, she went back to napping again! We now seem to have no pattern whatsoever - sometimes she gets tired after lunch and naps at her usual time, sometimes no nap, sometimes meltdown about 3 pm so I put her down for 30 minutes to see her through tea time etc. I have tried waking her up early and she does nap then but she is very tired and withdrawn all morning, so it's not really worth it.

It does make it a bit difficult to plan things but I am taking this as my official warning that naps are on their way out and making the most of whatever I can get. If I get pg this tx cycle then I am just hoping they last until the morning sickness is over. If I don't, then we won't be trying again for another year so she'll hopefully be slightly better at amusing herself by then.

Its sounds like you have a good little routine going most of the time. Like you, I have certain things we do to structure the week and try to keep on top of the essentials around the house first. Everything else is a bonus! When it goes pear shaped in our house - we also get takeaway - fish n chips!

I think what is actually bothering me most at the moment is that she is at a really fun age and can do more stuff and I haven't got any other Mums to do it with. I do have lovely friends from my Mums' group but they have all gone back to work so I only get to see 2 of them once a week and the rest once a month. I am going to join an extra playgroup after the tx and hopefully then I won't feel so isolated as a SAHM.

Thanks for the reply

Sue x

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hi Sue

Imogen stopped having daytime naps at 19mths too.  She used to be the only one in her nursery class to refuse sleep everyday.  I was also 8 mths pregnant at the time and it was the last thing I wanted.  However, when she turned 2 and moved up to the 2-3 class at nursery, I think being with an older age group and having her routine changed to be far more active, she began to have naps again (hurrah!!)

During the weekends we now try to keep her very active - she's enrolled in a dance class on Saturdays and we just keep going... (a great way to meet other mums too - Netmums local boards is a really good way of finding out what's on.).  Most of the time she'll reluctantly have a sleep (I've even had her in our bed with me while I've caught up on 40 winks), however if she doesn't, it's an early night which is just as nice.  ;)  I think we've been lucky in finding a way to keep her stimulated enough to wear her out again.  I'm sure it won't last, but hoping it will.

Good luck

Claire
x

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Claire,

I think you are right and if I really wore her out every day, she would probably nap every day. However, whilst going through tx and hopefully pregnancy again - I think the wearing her out part would take more out of me than the no naps!! Its definitely something to try if I'm getting desperate though.

Yesterday she said she wanted to go to bed and then was pointing at different toys on the shelf and crying instead of laying down. So, I put a night light on and gave her the toys and books she wanted. I left her to it to play for some quiet time and after about 40 mins she was asleep! When I went in to wake her up she startled like she'd been caught napping on the job!

Sue

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Sue

I think sometimes they have to be told or reminded that they need a sleep.  Imogen will swear blind she's not tired and get all upset if we suggest a sleep, but sure enough if we physically put her in bed, 10mins later she's snoring her head off.  I guess as they grow older we forget to look for the tired signs and act on them.

Claire

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I think you're right Claire. I've found in the past that her tired signs weren't that reliable and I used to be able to tell by how long she'd been awake for when she'd need a nap. I find now that it varies each day when she'll want a nap and I'm back to watching for the signs.
I'm happy at the moment as we are getting a nap most days, though the timing is unpredictable.

Sue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts