Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to go to the gym as often as possible (not often enough though), and always in the back of my mind I'm  wondering that just maybe implantation may be occurring and that if I do something too strenuous or push myself on the cross trainer just too hard that I could bugger it up - anyone think I'm loosing the plot thinking this and just worrying too much?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Nikki my p trainer at the gym has said that when in the 2ww after fet or just after ov when trying naturally you should only do exercise that you'd do when pg. See the 2ww board about exercise for a list, but basically it includes, walking on a running machine, swimming and upright bikes, cross trainers are a no no becquse of the pressure on your spine and stomach. also you shouldnt get your heart beating faster than its usual rate as this can be very bad.
http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26687.0.html

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh cr*p ive been overdoing it a bit.  I never even thought about excercise being a prob. poo.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mrs Cloudy just have a word with your gym instructors, explain your situation and ease down slightly I guess.  Its a tough one as I am always in 2 minds when I'm, in the gym - convinced this might be the month so don't want to do anything, DP winges at me as I'm not using the gym so I go as he pays for it and I feel guilty but don't want to tell him Im thinking this could be the month (again!), I get to the gym and try to do as calm a work out as poss without trying to think all the time - Oh my god, what if!

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Hi all,

Understand your concerns, but on some level exercise is sometimes the only thing that keeps me sane! Training for a 10Km run is the only thing that I can obsess about outside ttc! Surely, as long as we are careful (not after tment etc,) then it's not all bad?..
Ps. Hi Nikki!

xx

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Hi
Just wanted to say I'm a regular at the gym, and often wondered the same thing. I have a p/trainer who's great, and I was working with him when pg (I had a m/c but it wasn't related to my exercising). I decided to buy a heart rate monitor for during my 2ww, so it doesn't go over a certain rate. It puts your mind at rest - surprising to know what does what to your heart rate.
I'm sure you know this, but I cut out saunas and steamrooms as well (I'm so deprived!)
Lou xx

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi,
wish I went to the gym a bit more but i'm too idle, I stick to swimming.  I am having physio at the moment for a shoulder injury and the physio wanted to know what I could and couldn't do during the treatment.  I asked at my scan yesterday and they told me not to do any of my exercises or go to physio during the 2ww following et.  they basically said don't exercise, take it easy in general and be pampered.  I was a bit surprised as I was expecting them to say fine go ahead.  This has now made me think about all the things I did on IUIs and did that affect the outcome.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Hi, well following et, everything I've heard suggests you should take it easy, so hope that you are, and your 2ww is not too stressful!
Good luck
Lou x

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
This is a tricky one, isn't it?  My consultant was quite chilled really - I teach aerobics and kick box, and he was fine with me carrying on! (No sparring in KB though - didn't need to get a kick in the tummy!)  He basically said that it would take more than that to dislodge a fetus, but don't try doing anything new or that you wouldn't already do.

Agree with the comment that it's only the exercise that keeps you sane!  I put on 1/2 stone on my last attempt, not actively dieted since (heard that active dieting can affect conception - but then being overweight does too.  Where's the logic!?!), and have another try coming up.  Am already on the border of overweight (how is that fair?  I do tonnes of exercise!  There's no justice.  And then there's chocolate. !!!) and if I sit around not doing any fizz at all, I'll go insane (the hormones are bad enough on their own!) and turn into a blimp. 

Hey ho.

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Hi girls  :)

I've recently taken the plunge and joined a leisure centre as I want to lose some weight but still ttc.  The instructor has given me a programme for the gym: crosstrainer, arm bike, powerwalking on treadmil and bike.  Should I leave off the crosstrainer during the 2ww?  is swimming ok?  might do more swimming than gym in the 2ww then pick up the gym pace if AF comes?  Its so hard isn't it can't do good for doing bad! xxx

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Hi all
Sallywags I totally agree, although I am a bit of an exercise freak at the moment. I run at least 4 times a week, swim, go to the gym (not very often at the mo as am training for a 10km, but will start again soon,) and go to classes - spin, salsa, total body condition. I know I need to add more yoga / pilates type things in the mix. I feel crap if I don't exercise and put on weight very easily and also don't sleep well etc. It's also my stress reliever!
So, I'm planning to continue, but if I ever get on the IUI waiting list (can't even get an appointment at the clinic yet...) then I'll certainly stop most of it during any 2ww's.
Flowerpot - I think swimming is a great idea. I would imagine powerwalking should be fine as long as your HR doesn't get too high, but check it out with your doctor.
Good luck / happy exercising all!

xx

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Thanks Nikki
I'm off to the gym tonight and currently on the 2nd week of the 2ww, I'll definitely leave off the xtrainer. might not actually do gym at all and just do swimming. if i do gym will just do a bit longer on the tredmill instead. thanks xxx

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Just to say hope you enjoy gyming it Flowerpot...swimming sounds like a sensible compromise on 2ww. Wanted to wish you lots of luck and  ^fairydust^

xxx

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Thanks Bodia  :)

I really am loving it, much more energy and can take out my stress there!!  1st part of the month do x-trainer as well as bike and treadmill but leave it out in the 2ww.  loving the swimming too!  Don't know why I never did it before.  Hope you are ok xxxx

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Am good thanks Flowerpot. I had a cyst removed from my leg today and have been told no running, gym classes or swimming for 11 days until the stiches are out! Not happy about that!
Glad you are enjoying your leisure centre.
Where are you up to with your tx?

xx

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Oh Bodia sorry to hear that, hope you are looking after yourself and being pampered  :)

I'm currently on cycle 6 with Clomid and due for ovulation any day now (today CD14) so currently having plenty of BMS! gynae given me another 6 months prescription so upto 12 months of Clomid.

Had to give the gym a miss yesterday, my low back was hurting unless i stood still or sat still so I opted for a bath instead  ;)

xxx

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hello ladies,
I've been reading your posts with interest, if a bit late!
I was a regular gym goer but stopped completely when I started IVF this summer. I wanted to give it the best chance possible, and not think afterwards 'what if...' - this was hard for me as running is a great stress reliever for me as well, but, and I hope this isn't too controversial,  but I've come to the conclusion that we as women are not designed for excessively strenuous activity of the sort that many of us now do at the gym - sad but true  :(. I am not planning on going back to my runs and weights until my baby is born.
One small point on the 2ww, my clinic actually suggested not going swimming, as the chemicals in a public pool can interfere with the whole process. I had quite a conservative clinic, and for them to actually recommend this, I think there must be something in it.
I'm not doing anything other than walking until I reach 12weeks, and then also yoga - which I would also recommend for those ttc as it relaxes your body and mind - although again check with the yoga instructor, as not all poses are conducive to ttc.
Anyway, I hope this helps.
Babydust to all of you,
Maria x

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.