Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Does anyone know if it would be ok to have my hair dyed/streaked during treatment, i am d'regging at the momment but appointment could be whilst im stimming, please give me your advice?

Thanks

Julie.x

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Dye it BEFORE downregging or you may regret it! It's not for the health of your baby, but the health of your hair - the drugs make your hair react differently.

I dyed mine during stims and it went like straw - had to have it all cut off in the end.

The hormones in the DR and stim drugs are the problem. You can risk it and some people get away with it, but if you're like me you'll never get the condition of your hair back again.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
i had my hair done whilst I was d/ring I mentioned it to my hairdresser and she said it was ok as I was having it highlighted and dye wasn't touching my scalp. It looks fine and Im now on my 2ww

xxx

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

I had my hair highlighted whilst stimming and it was fine, I did tell my hairdresser about IVF as well.

Also since being pg I have had highlights done twice and my hair hasn't been affected at all.

Sometimes you do find that the dye doesn't last for as long as it would normally.

x x x

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Hi girls

Im a hairdresser and i would always advise a client against chemical treatments
during any kind of drug controlled treatment
it makes no difference if the products are on your scalp or just the hair
you can still get a chemical reaction
most people will be ok, but there is always going to be someone who reacts, and that someone could be you.
I did colour my hair whilst i was DR'ing, but it was my choice, clearly didn't take my own advice there!
i was fine, but i would suggest you get any colouring done prior to starting tx.

Love Danni x x

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've been wondering about this too. So am I right in thinking that hair dye doesn't affect the drugs or the baby if pregnant- it's just about whether your hair reacts badly or not?

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
hair dye wont affect the drugs working properly
but the ingredients of the dye could react with the drugs
hair dye is safe to use in pregnancy, some pregnant women find their hair changes during pregnancy
and sometimes this can affect the dye from developing properly
but it wont harm your baby

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi - just to say I was a regular hair dyer and spoke with my hairdresser during my tx.  I took the descision NOT to colour my hair nor use any tinted body moisturiser during my tx - I avoided all chemicals.  (apart from the obvious IVF drugs!)

I have been really lucky to have got a BFP from my tx and have still not got my hair coloured (currently a rather dull flat mouse colour) and still have pasty skin but dont care if it has meant sacrificing 9 months of beauty tx for vanity - trying to get pg meant more to me.  I hope I do not offend anyone by my comment and rest assured my hairdresser and the local beauty salon that does st tropez are on standby and will get calls for appointments when I am in labour!!

Good luck to everyone. xx

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Oh God I hadn't thought of tinted moisteriser!

So again is it just incase the reaction is bad? Am I right in thinking it doesn't actually interfere with the drugs?

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
It's not meant to interfere with the drugs or harm a pregnancy, it's just that the hormones from the drugs and/or pregnancy makes your hair behave differently with the dye. I've highlighted my hair while preggers (and need to do it again so I don't look a sad sack in the new baby photos) and it hasn't done any harm, but when I dyed it during DR/stims it went so disgusting.

It's meant to be more harmful using a darker dye, so I've heard, rather than lightening ones. Is that right, hairdressers?

there are so many chemicals around these days... you can't avoid them all! If fake tan harmed unborn babies I'm sure there'd be a warning a mile high on the product.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
darker dyes have the same stuff in them as lighter ones
bleaching is obviously different to tinting, but the dye cant harm your baby
and cant harm you or the ivf drugs
it is just the fact that it COULD cause a chemical reaction
i dyed my hair whilst DR and it was fine
i only tell clients to steer clear while taking IVF drugs because i am not going to be responsible for
somebody's hair to be damaged.
Hormones can affect hair in a big way, some of you may notice a change in your hair when you have your period?
if you are one of these people then i would def keep away from dye's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts