Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there isnt a definitive answer to this one but would be interested to know people's opinions/what they have been told about the safety of home dying hair.

I've looked in boots for "natural" but the choice seems to be semi permanent without amonia which doesnt cover all greys or permanent 10 mins ie on and off quick.

Any thoughts?

Hope

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi Hope, I was told by my clinic to not dye until after 12 weeks.. but if I must to go for highlights/streaks. So that's what I did...I think the home colours have more PPD and ammonia than the salon semi permanents.
Aveda semi permanent although not free of this stuff is low on PPD and ammonia...the darker the colour the more chemicals.
Hope this helps
xxA

·
Registered
61 Posts
hiya
Ii wondered this when pg and the hairdresser would recommend a sample of hair to test for any allergy a couple of days before having the whole head done, and also to use mild hair dyes at home, i dyed my hair 2-3 times over the last 6 months of pregnancy and didn't see any problems. Although I ended up using the same hair dye as i did before pregnancy, which was Clairol Nice N Easy (only because previous ones didn't cover everything but I can't remember which ones they were, sorry :(  )

Hope you get somewhere, its aways nice to pamper yourself!

Seq
X

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,
I had, and still have this dilema at 31 weeks pregnant.  I asked a few midwives and they said definitely don't use home colours in the first trimester, and then went onto say that they themselves wouldn't use any at all throughout.  I asked a hairdresser and she said she only ever uses foils on pregnant ladies and recommends semi perm rather than perm.  Home colours tend to get on your scalp and the chemicals can apparently be absorbed through your scalp and into your blood stream.....
My theory is better to be safe than sorry....i'm having to drag myself to the hairdressers and pay extortionate prices just to cover a few pesky grey hairs..........

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Hi
I'm a stylist and in my years of being one and also training I was told. Colouring in pregnancy was fine and it was a old wives tale. I would recommend going to a sallon to get it done but trust me you will be fine.
In all my years I've never seen a problem yet
I hope I was of some help

Happy new hair and good luck with your pregnancy big congratulations to you

Kelli

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I asked my consultant this at one of our first visits after I got pg with M. I went 'is it ok if I colour my hair' and he gave me a funny look and said 'as long as you don't colour it green' or something along those lines. He was very amused at the presumed danger - we put chemicals on our skin all the time. Soap. Shampoo. Cream. Moisturiser. Make up. He said he would be more concerned about the inhalation of salon fumes from perms etc rather than the skin contact and advised me to get a first thing in the morning appointment.
I was lucky enough that I'd had it done during tx so I managed to resist till I got to 14 weeks before having it done again. I then had it done again just at the end of the 2nd tri and again just before going into hospital for the birth so I wouldn't look like a granny that had just had a baby in my photos!! :)
X

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Hope

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer to this one so just go with whatever you feel comfortable with.  I had hightlights with foils done during my first pregnancy but second time around I just used my usual off the supermarket shelf permanent dye.  Just be aware that your skin may be more sensitive to things in pregnancy so make sure you do the skin patch test as advised first. 

Fluffs xxx

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks - Clairol nice and easy is what I had been using. I'm 12 weks tomorrow and starting to look like a granny/witch (yes dark hair) so will have to do something!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts