Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear lovely Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone can offer me some advice/experience. I am on a long protocol IVF and just went on thursday for the scan to check I have sucessfully down regged - I have, but I have a 4cm cyst on my left ovary. I only had a laparoscopy 9 weeks ago to drain my cysts
, but i think they couldn't really get to that one as its obscured by endometriosis adhesions.

Anyway my new consultatnt at CARE has said that if the stim drugs make it even bigger then they may suggest draining it at egg collection - as this is possible to do at CARE. Does anyone have any experience of this??
On my previous 2 IVFs most of the very few eggs that I have produced were on this same left ovary, even though its hard to get at, and I don't have a fallopian tube on that side, but they did manage to get to it with the egg collection needle.

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions very welcome, thanks xxx

And lots of good wishes and luck to you all,

Sammi

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hi Sammi.

I did a fresh cycle in July where I had a nice 5cm cyst at egg collection, & it was aspirated during the retrieval. I didn't have a choice, they just did it, & almost forgot to tell me. I was a bit worried that all that fluid would cause a problem, but it hasn't been an issue afterwards that I know of -- I had a hysteroscopy this week & it showed no endo-like (adenomyosis) or endometrial problems. Cannot say if this is true in my ovaries, as I have been having lots of endo symptoms due to the FET cycle in December & all the drugs in the past 6 months, but it was reassuring to know that at least the uterine area is looking all right.

Also just wanted to say that since I started my IVF journeys in early 2009, my left ovary has always produced lots of eggs, & my right only a few -- despite the fact that the left ovary had to be unstuck from the wall during my lap in Oct 2009, & is now again restuck. I don't understand how this can all be, maybe the endo doesn't affect egg production?? Nobody has said why the right ovary is so slow, but so long as something works I feel OK about it.

Here's hoping your left ovary keeps on truckin' & your cycle is successful! What meds will you be taking?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Theodora,

Thanks so much for your reply. Its good to know of someone else who has had to have this, and I am sorry that it hasn't worked yet for you either  ^hugme^  Yeah I totally know what you mean about the stuck down ovary being the one thats doing a good job producing the eggs! weird, or may be not so weird. I had no idea that that was the only one they had gotten eggs from in my previous IVFs until I read my notes recently. I had to have the left hand tube removed 3 years ago due to severe endo damaging it too much to be saved. I guess i am worried that draing a cyst is bound to spill a bit of the liquid into the womb...not nice for implanting embies  :(  but i guess neither is a growing cyst good for them?

My previous 2 IVFs i was on 300 gonal f, first one was long protocol, and second one was short. 300 is the max dose my old clinic would give. This cycle i am on 300 menopur and 150 gonal F, and its LP. what doses were you on?

Sammi X

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hi Sammi. I have done 300 gonal both times -- first as part of a long agonist cycle using decapeptyl daily shots before starting the FSH, & then during a short antagonist cycle with estrogen priming (so also did a few days of Cetrotide & a day of something else I cannot remember). Are you doing some sort of agonist as well, or did they say this was too suppressing for your case? Are you doing some immune treatments?

Certainly stims & estrogen make cysts & endo & fibroids bigger (at least in my case :-\ ), & if the growths are in a bad spot they do need to be removed as they will hog the blood flow & also your body (in order to protect pregnancies) will then reject whatever is trying to embed even if it is a good embryo since it sees that something else is there & using the blood.

Generally folks with endo do better with agonist cycles -- higher pregnancy rates perhaps due to effects on the endometrium? -- but unfortunately it is longer than antagonist so worse for growths & more importantly perhaps it's not as good for people who don't make a lot of eggs because they tend to be too suppressed. However, the way you are doing it now is similar to what I did for my 2nd IVF/ICSI, & the eggs we got fertilized better & made better embryos, so hope it works well for you!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Theodora,

Thanks for your reply and comments. I have never been offered estrogen priming.
The quality of eggs was better on the long protocol, but i got one more egg on the short one - however they were all poorer quality on the short one  :(
I am worried i wont produce any this time, as my AMH has gone from 14.1 in 2006 to 3.9 now. (I have had 2 laps though in that time, which have destroyed some ovarian tissue)

My lining has always got thick easily, thankfully.
This time i am taking immune meds (did take pred and clex last time, and just pred first time)

Pred - 20mg
clex - 40mg (very high anti cardiolipin antibodies)
ILs  x2
baby aspirin

Multi vit
folic acid
vit D3
fish oils
Asidophillus
CO Q10
Acupuncture

Where did you cycle? are you going to try again?

^hugme^  Sam x

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S.
Taking Gestone this time too, for the first time ever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts