Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 694 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Apologies if there is already a post on this but I could not find it.

We start first ICSI attempt in June at Leeds under Mr Rutherford and I have to say I'm absolutely terrified. Have read through the information etc.. given over and over again. Is anyone else being treated in Leeds?

Thanks
Cinders

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hi, we're having tx at Leeds - 2nd attempt, had E/T yesterday.  The paperwork they give you does sound daunting but as you get into your treatment it all makes sense.  When I read it over and over again I thought I would never get the hang of it but you do. The injections aren't too bad at all and you just get yourself in a routine and before you know it its time for your E/C which I was dreading but it was absolutely fine and the E/T only last 5 mins and its quite surreal to see your embies on the screen and they give you a picture if you want one!  Best of luck  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Hi Cinders,

Me and DP are seeing Mr Rutherford for our first appointment next Wednesday.  We are having ICSI treatment too.  R U having your treatment on the NHS or private?  The reason i'm asking is i was just wondering how long you have to wait to get started once you have had your first consultation  :-\

It's really good to see there's a couple of us from Yorkshire on here.

Good luck with everthing.

Luv
Emmatt xx

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All

Thanks for friendly replies  :)

Emmatt - I have a 7 yr old daughter from a previous relationship and we were told because of this me and my new hubby do not qualify for NHS treatment, so we are going private.

Our 1st appointment was between Christmas & New Year, Mr Rutherford put us on the waiting list then. My hubby then had to do a swim up test in January to determine whether we would need IVF or ICSI. This was at 9am!! so living 2 hours away we stayed overnight. Our next appointment was then Feb when it was confirmed it was ICSI we needed. Received letter just before this to say treatment would begin with my June period, but have to ring when I start in May so they can co-ordinate everything.

Barmy.. because you expect when you go private things to happen quickly but there is still a waiting list although miles shorter than NHS. This month has dragged and I think next will too. Half of me cant wait to get going and the other is running!!! :-[

Hubby is very worried about injections, so thanks for reassurance Yorkshire lass :)

What about you both are you private?

Cinders x

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hi everyone

Emmatt - I tried to reply to you but your inbox was full so it kept rejecting it so sorry if you thought I was ignoring you!  I'll try again!

We're private too and had our first appt at LGI 2 years ago.  My DH had to have PESA and we had to wait 6 months for that - which we were shocked about but it came round eventually.  That was successful so we had our first attempt in April last year.  Due to finances we're only just having our second attempt.  Two embies back safe and sound - a 1.5 and a 2.5!  Waiting patiently now ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi girls
There are quite a few of us Tykes around the site!

We've been with LGI for NHS Tx and are going back next week for a review appt following our last cycle in Jan. We will have to consider whether to stick with them if we decide to do it again privately or go back to Hull where we went for private Tx inbetween waiting for our 2 NHS goes in Leeds (we were very lucky to have them!). Part of the decision to go to Hull was down to the waiting list (there didn't seem to be a waiting list for private Tx in Hull) but also because i worked there at the time. 

Yorkshirelass - Goodluck!!  for your 2ww  - I hope it passes very quickly  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ with a fantastic BFP at the end

Cinders don't worry - you really do get used to the injections very quickly!

Emma - hope your appt goes well next week

I don't know about you but i found watching "precious babies" (prog on ITV recently) - or the ones that have been shown! - a rather close to home at times with it being the LGI that was featured!

Anyway hope you're all OK
Take care!
wizz

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all

Thanks for info Wizz - we are near Hull but our consultant never mentioned them as a possibility. Both practise Dr & Consultant referred us to Mr Rutherford. Its good to know for future. Yes did find precious babies more scary as it was LGI. Could really relate to the couple having to get up at silly o clock to travel as we too are just under 2 hours away.

Good luck Yorkshire lass wishing you a BFP  ::)

Cinders x

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi girls

Cinders - Would be happy to discuss both Hull & Leeds with you if you want - they both do NHS Tx & private but are very different size-wise. As far as I can see the "sucess rates" are comparable but of course this is very difficult to ascertain and I feel its only possible to go off the old HFEA stuff to do a valid direct comparison.

Yorkshirelass - hope the waiting isn't driving you too crazy!

Emma - hope your appt went OK

We had an appt with Prof Balen last week and he spelled it out as nicely as he could that whilst they were happy to do another Tx cycle with us he feels that we're unlikely to be sucessful.  My ovaries are increasingly resistant to the drugs, they didn't get as many mature eggs as they would have expected form those they retrieved and the embryologists commented that the 2 eggs they did ICSI had quite a hard outer layer. We've decided to give it one more go and are on the private waiting list in Leeds. Letter this morning says it will be August.

I think the main reason we're staying with Leeds is the continuity following from the last cycle - we wouldn't have had any qulams about going back to Hull if the waiting list had been longer.

One thing that did bring us up a bit short was the fact that LGI obviously has two types of "private" patient... Those termed as private patients and those termed self funding patients.... The difference was only made obvious by a conversation I had had prior to the consultation with our counsellor so I guess i knew what questions to ask.

Both cost exactly the same, treatment in the same place etc... however private patients get consultant led care (the consultants do the proceedures) whereas self funding patients go through the same route as NHS patients - my experience tended to be that we saw which ever dr or nurse was available... Think i must have seen every Dr & nurse in the place over the last 3 years! So it was a no brainer really!! However it was obvious that by us specifying that we wanted to go privately rather than self funding this was rather unusal... Whilst he was honest and upfront we got the distinct feeling that we were probably being slightly awkard customers...!!!

Anyway hope you're all OK

take care
wizz

·
Registered
759 Posts
hiya  :)

Nice to see another Leeds girl on board.  Not that many really.

Wizz - Good for luck August got my fingers crossed for you.   Whilst we were waiting for our very first treatment we went to a "video night" at the LGI where one of the doctors/nurses/embryologists gave a talk to everyone. There were tons of people there.   They might not do it now it was a few years ago now.   They did talk about the three different types of patients that they have so they were quite open about this.    Good for you for asking to go private though.  My philosophy is if you don't ask you don't get!   I actually work for the "Trust" and always joke to my hubby why don't I get a staff discount!  Might be cheeky next time and ask  ;D  Thanks for your best wishes.  I just want to know now one way or another!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hiya Yorkshirelass

another NHS employee! - there are a few of us around!

We went to our patients info evening in leeds in Sept 2002 so maybe they have changed their talk a bit (-  they've certainly changed the unit quite a lot over recent years!) Or maybe at the time we never cottoned on to the difference! As I said, we had no complaints in terms of the fact that he was completely straight with us - we just felt that we could be making things a bit awkward!     

keeping everything crossed for you ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
wizz

·
Registered
229 Posts
Congratulations on the positive yorkshirelass!!!!

^banana^ ^banana^ ^banana^ ^jumpin^ ^jumpin^

excellent news
wizz

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks very much both of you.  I think its great to know that it can work particularly when you're having treatment at the same Unit.

Sending you lots of  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ and ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all on the ICSI LEEDS thread,

Me and DH are currently having our 2nd ICSI at LGI as self funders. I had been wondering about the difference between self-fund and private, so thanks Wizz for enlightening me on that - its very interesting because we felt the same as you last time - we saw someone different at every single appointment (generally all helpful and pleasant but a feeling of 'where's the continuity?'). Do you know whether there is a difference in waiting times?

Congratulations Yorkshirelass - it is definitely good to know about successes at LGI

cinders - I remember feeling how you are now last october when I was about to start my first cycle, I was so convinced it was going to be hellish, but you soon get the hang of the sniffing and the injections honest!

emmatt - hope your appointment went well - we haven't met Mr Rutherford but here he is impressive

judy*p

·
Registered
971 Posts
hi which is the best hospital to have icsi in the lgi or st james as i live in leeds and not sure which hospital to use also with the icsi do you have to have injections every day or is it pills DONT LIKE INJECTIONS

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi

I prefer LGI - didn't like the after care after EC/ET at Jimmys.  (also had a sucessful PG from LGI !!)

Good Luck

Dawn

·
Registered
971 Posts
thank you for your reply

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hiya

Leanne I'd go for the LGI too.  The LGI seems to be the place in Leeds to go.

Good luck.

Luv
YL x

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi. i was due to start ICSi in June under Dr Rutherford but had to delay it till June. Am going to the evening meeting tomorrow night tho. I am so nervous and cant believe I found this sight. Its such a relief to talk to others in same situ. Let me know how you get on. I have great faith in Dr Rutherford after difficult time with previous Dr.
Fingers crossed for June for you

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Ladies

I too am at the LGI under Mr Rutherford....(noy literally ???)
I'm on my 2ww and due to test on 25th and going a little  ^idiot^

Thanks for the difference between self funding and private. We are private and have seen Mr Rutherford at every appointment apart from ec and et which Prof Balen did. We had to wait just under 5 months from initial consultation to actually starting - is this different to you judy*p?

Emmatt - hope your appontment went well, I really like mr rutherford :)

wizz - think positive, maybe this next go will be the one for you and August is only round the corner......look after yourself x :)

Yorkshirelass  ^clapping^ ^clapping^ ^BFP^ ^clapping^ ^clapping^ ^congrats^ hope youre taking it easy and youre right its good to know of someone who is strated at the same place as you get a BFP x

Cinders - just concerntrate on what the outcome could be and injections dont really seem too bad plus they do get easier the more you do themsending you  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^goodluck^

Sorry if ive missed anyone!

Take care and sending you lots of  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

^bye^

1 - 20 of 694 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.