Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago I received an amazing and wonderful surprise when a friend in Denmark emailed to say she would give me some of her eggs. I was over the moon. I thought my problems with waiting lists were over, and that I could have eggs from someone I knew and loved.

However, so far I have been very confused and disappointed as clinics seem to favour anonymous donation. My friend's eggs would go to an unknown person at the top of a list and I would then go to the top of the list and receive an unknown person's eggs.

Arrghhh! That seems to miss the whole point of using a known donor! I also looked into treatment in Denmark and it appears that they only do anonymous egg donation. They have strict legislation at the moment.

Does anyone have a similar experience?
Is it impossible to proceed in the UK with a known donor who isn't a relative?

Thanks for reading this. :(

Lu

·
Registered
568 Posts
Lu

My step-sister donated eggs to me and we had no problem with the hospital - they were very happy to treat us - we went the The Lister Hospital in London.  We had the choice of her donating to someone else and me going to the top of the list, or, she couldn donate directly to me - which is what she did.

I would speak to a few clinics if I were you - you should be able to do this with no problems.  Good Luck!

Ange x

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Ange,

Thanks for your reply. It sounds much more hopeful given your experience. I will have to call some UK clinics and see where we could go. I was hoping to keep treatment as near home as poss especially as my friend would be coming from Denmark for the egg collection at least. London isn' t desperately far though.

Being newish on this site I don't understand all the & shorthand/abbreviations at the bottom of your email. (is there a key to this on the site?! and how do I create a profile at the bottom of my mails? Hope you don't mind me asking this)

From what I can work out you are in a similar situation to me with high FSH/early menopause (a tough thing to come to terms with). I hope you are progressing well now.
Thanks again!

& Lots of luck

Lu

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi,

The hfea hasalist of clinics thatdo known egg donors as not all of them do.

Goodluck

Carol

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Lu

The list of abbreviations are on www.fertilityfriends.co.uk under Infertility Jargon / Webby Acronyms.  You can create your profile by pressing profile when you’re logged in, then Forum Profile Information under Modify Profile (in the box on the left hand side) and add your story under Signature – this will appear after all your posts.

Hope that helps!

Ange x

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Ange

Wish I had found this site a long time ago!  Have read the jargon busters but unable to decipher BFN and BFP, have assumed nega dn pos but would appreciate help!

Lolly XX

·
Registered
568 Posts
Lolly

BFN = big fat negative
BFP = big fat positive

Ange x

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks Ange, you Dude's are just so cool!  I'll get there, can't even blame it on my highlights as I've decided no added chemicals ( well gonna try!)

Lolly XXX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts