Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Do you suffer from headaches frequently?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
i have suffered migraines and headaches for years now. I have been told i have chronic daily headache. I am now taking beta blockers for the migraines which def help. interesting to see how other people are

·
Registered
202 Posts
hi i also suffer with regular headaches odd migraines i think it might be linked to the pcos . also i have ibs i have read quite a few posts with Lady's with pcos have that aswell i think there is definite link that maybe the doctors haven't picked up i will be intrested to see how many others have headaches or ibs take care lots of babydust love paula  ;D

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Paula my BF has suffered with IBS for many years and creates a nightmare when it comes to food, she's had to stopping eating so much of what she loves.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Interesting !!!
I myself are a migraine sufferer.. both my mum and sis are too.
Mum has had something similar to endo (huge growth for years and Dr not completely sure what it was  :-\) and sis has had cerv cancer.
So poss anything related could have headache/migraine side affects !?!? (other than the men in our lives  ;D )
Talking of men, my mate has migraine's, he must be 'in touch with his female side'  ^evil^

1 of the following usually sets me off
Not eaten/drunk enough during the day
Tiredness
PMS
If my thyroid medication needs to be checked (too high or low)
Stress or worry (I usually get through 'the crisis' as the thinker/organiser and get a migraine when all has calmed down)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I seem to get a constant headache on just one side of my head,and it lasts weeks at a time, wake up with it in the morning, or it wakes me!!! take painkillers and as soon as they wear off BANG it's back...going on like this for weeks normally starts off during a period i have now noticed.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whats everyones headache cures as I am terrible for popping millions of paracetamol, when its a migraine I hate to say but I pop whatever anyone gives me - even friends beta blockers, etc :-[

I know popping pills can cause headaches to linger so just wondered?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Nikki
I am not a PCOS sufferer but used to have terrible headaches even went for brain scans at one point they were so bad, it turned out that I am very susceptible to "Rebound Headaches" every time I got a headache I would pop pills and they in turn would be causing the headache, I can now only take weak cheap paracetamol and no more than two tablets in any 24 hours otherwise they cause it to become worse

My Nan used to suffer with terrible migraines she was on all sorts of proper medication for them, have you been tested by your doctor to see if they are true migraines ?

Apparently rebound headaches are very common but people just assume that the tablets have not worked and end up taking more every 4 hours, I have tried that roll on stuff 4 head it is not brilliant but does seem to take the edge of things just enough to get by while you ride the headache out.

Has this been going on for a long time, because I know you have been very stressed lately what with the wedding and m/c and infertility, it could be stress headaches if you can pinpoint a time when they started getting really bad.

My Dad died of a brain tumor and I must admit that I think most of my headaches were stress related but because of what he died of I was convinced that I had a tumor too.

Just try this for a while to see if you can rule out rebound/stress headaches ..... get some 4 head as soon as you feel any small headache signs coming on put some on and repeat as and when you need it.

If possible sit quietly in a darkened room for a little while and just concentrate on your breathing and try to relax

If you feel the need for painkillers just take 1/2 or 1 tablet instead of the usual 2, buy some cheap 500mg paracetamol avoid any of the big name brands (I buy tesco cheapies) and avoid anything which says strong or extra strong (they have the same amount of paracetamol but have added chemicals in them!)

Avoid Alcohol .....  Yes I know you enjoy your wine darling but put the damn bottle away  ;D

Avoid Caffeine tea/coffee/cola etc

keep a diary, especially of food stuffs, many people who suffer from regular headaches are reacting to a certain type of food or additive which does not agree with them, my Nan could not eat anything dairy !

Once you have a months worth of diary stating everything, food, drink, tablets you should be able to start seeing a pattern emerging and you may get an idea of the cause.

It's a lot of faffing about but I know what constant headaches are like and trust me it's worth it !

Loves Dydie xxx

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Dydie

Thanks for your advice.

I do suffer with migraines, Dx years ago, a lot of my family do.  I have found with the meds for migraines my GP will only give ex amount on the NHS then you have to pay for them and they are expensive.  I start with a new GP on Friday so will get a Rx from him, then that'll be it.

I did the note book thing for months and do it every 6 months to keep an eye on things.  Migraines I can spot a mile away, stress headaches are always at the back of my head so easily recognizable and I have dehydrated headaches when I haven't drunk enough water (a lot of people have these headaches without realizing what they are), but I alway have other headaches, which I do wonder if are related to the hormones in my body and the cysts.

I always find it weird when I meet people who have never suffered from headaches, DP get a small one every 6 months but soon goes - oooooooow so lucky.

As for paracetamol, yet will usually take Asda's own as if you read the ingredients the 35p ones have the same drug you need as the £3.35 one!  I am a bit of a skin-flint about things like that.

PS: I was sorry to read about your father, my BF's father died of a brain tumour also.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Hun
You are obviously a bit like me in the headache department and are already an self made expert so did not really need all my lecturing  ;D
hey ho maybe someone else will benefit from our experiences.

My Darling Dad who I still miss everyday has been gone for 9 years now, it amazes me when each new year comes around because it all still feels like yesterday, I know that you are one of the people who can understand this, sometimes it's a bit like the infertility, you get people saying "oh it gets better with time" "Time is a great healer" "He would not want you to be moping around" friends care for a while and are sympathetic but soon forget and assume you have too
people expect you to get over it, Time has meant for me that I don't think about him each and every day now, I don't cry so easily now, but he is still not here and the pain is still as great, I still miss him.
He died on Christmas Day 1995 at the age of 46
his tumor was only diagnosed in the October prior to his death, he had been going to the doctors (which he never did) complaining of headaches they never took him seriously and treated him for sinus problems, it was his optician who found the tumor which was the size of a small melon!
It was all found too late for any treatment and he was sent home from the hospital to die at the beginning of November.

Sorry for writing this, I just got carried away and have gone off subject, but sometimes it's nice to tell people that you have not forgotten and the pain is still  here  :'(

Lots of love to you and everyone else who has lost someone so precious  ^hugme^
Dydie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think people say things like that as they don't know what else to say, I also think death is a very taboo subject and it embarrasses and scares people so they will always bumble through it when it comes up in conversation.

My BF is still quite bitter about her father death and she won't really talk about it much, just every so often she'll feel she'll need to blurt something out to me about it then thats it.  Her father died when she was about 8 years old.  She tells me that her fathers tumour was dx and her mother was told by the doctor that he would not make it through the week, but he would not be aware of anything different and gave her mother the option of telling him or not.  She did not tell him.  Something she'll often ask me what I'd do in that situation.

We def have gone off subject haven't we!!!!!

^hugme^

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi all

Sorry to hear about you headaches  :( Not nice especially when we have other problems related to PCOS to deal with.

I have also clicked rarely button as i don't suffer from headaches. My heart goes out to you  :-*

One thing that I suffer from is feeling bloated and when I do I look about 3 months pregnant  :(

xxx

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
I just clicked on the rarely as I don't get bad headaches often.  I do get quite a lot of woolly heads as I call them but it's not really a headache so doesn't count, it's probably just tiredness from working too hard  ;D

Fluffs xxx

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just bumping this forward as I know there are a few new ladies who have joined us and I am still interested in the headache link, esp due to the hormonal side of thing.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i've only had headaches since being on the metformin..dont think that counts... :-\.. but do have them daily now

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rx and headaches - hmmmmmm, nightmare situation as you want/need the Rx but the side effects of headaches makes it a nightmare.

Dianette gave me headaches but thankfully I only needed to be on it for a short amount of time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.