Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya all

today i went to the go for thrush well LO not me and previouse they had thought she has a heart mumur but said that often when babies are ill the heart flow can become loud well to cut a long story short its there and this is the third time its been heard! i thought it had only been heard twice

she is being referred to a pediatrician and this will probably take a few months, gp is not concerned and i know i shoudnt be but its playing on my mind

i had a mumur and now have aorta reguratation which causes no health issue so why am i so concerned about my girl. she is fit, healthy very active and beautiful and gp said he wouldnt reasure me if it was something to worry about and if it was he would get her seen asap. she will probably have a echocardigram at some point

anyone with any experience of time lines, how things work and what will get done please post

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Hi Kara

I can totally understand that you are worried.  Anything involving the heart sounds serious.

I'm not a medic but I picked up a bit of information about heart defects as a result of my DD having had one.  A heart murmur means that the blood is not flowing correctly, due to a hole or a leaky valve.  Holes vary in seriousness according to how big they are and where they are.  With smaller holes, they are often left to close up by themselves, but bigger holes may need to be closed surgically (as happened with my DD).  The murmur is caused by the blood flowing through the hole, and I read somewhere that smaller holes can have louder murmurs.

It sounds as if your DD has not had any problems, so hopefully that is a good sign.  At least if she is referred for an echocardiogram, you will find out what is causing it and whether she will need any treatment.  Fingers crossed that it will just be a minor problem that she grows out of.  Let us know how she gets on.

Ruth x

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Hi hun  ^hugme^

It's always worrying when something wrong is found with your LO. Both my boys were born with heart murmurs (grade 2 soft murmur) but these resolved as they grew and didn't need any invasive treatment. Neither had any symptoms.

Your GP would be able to get some idea of the severity of the problem from the noise the heart is making. Some murmurs are soft, some harsh, some blowing and they are graded 1-6 in intensity. They can also hear where it's happening in the heart cycle. Believe me, if it was serious you would have been referred there and then.

Heart murmurs are actually very common in children and often the extra sounds to the 'lub-dub' 'normal' heart sounds are just the sounds of blood flowing through a totally normal heart. Please remember that not all murmurs are caused by a heart defect and some are just called 'innocent' heart murmurs that come and go during childhood.

Usually they will do an echo, chest X-ray and 12 lead ECG to see what, if anything, is going on. This, as you know, will determine where it's coming from if there is an issue. The main 2 types are septal defects, so a hole in the septum between the atrias (ASD) or ventricles (VSD) and valve defects like you have. Both can be treated IF they are significant enough, many will just be monitored by the Cardiologists and some will get better by themselves over time. My 2 had ASD's which closed by themselves after about 18 months

As your LO has no symptoms and your GP seemed unconcerned then I'd try not to worry too much. However as you have have aortic regurg it may be they want to check it out to rule out anything hereditary

Hope that helps. I'm sure it'll all be fine xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  ^hugme^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts