Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I used to swig gaviscon from the bottle, lol. A pharmacist should also be able to tell you what you can take. Hope it eases for you as I know it's not very nice x

·
Registered
462 Posts
Me too. I kept bottles every where (every room in the house, my handbag, work, the car). You should be able to get it from your doctors on free prescription. Peppermint tea also helps but nothing touched my heartburn like gaviscon.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
I got peptac on prescription from doctor - same as gaviscon and I glug it out of the bottle and best of all it is free!  :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
hi i found gaviscon and peptac didn't help near the end of my pregnancy so the mw prescribed mucogel. It's not as thick as gaviscon so i found it easier to swallow.

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
You can have Gaviscon, go to your GP and see whats available to you and then get it on prescription so you dont have to pay :)

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Yep, Gaviscon is ok  :) and bizarrely I found that eating ice cream whilst chilling in the evening seemed to help mine too (or sometimes a glass of milk).  Your midwife/GP should be able to prescribe something for you for free  :)

Fluffs xxx

·
Registered
95 Posts
try avoiding drinking with meals, and eating a good few hours before bed time.....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
as some of the others have said, I drank Gaviscon - straight from the bottle :-[ I also ate lots of Rennie...and I found that Pear Drops helped me too...also, I had a milkshake (banana nesquik - yum yum) half an hour or so before bed and (and this is quite naughty), I found that NOT brushing my teeth before bed, and having just recently had the milkshake helped a lot)..... the toothpaste seemed to irritate once I was propped up ready for a night's sleep tossing and turning.....

·
Registered
896 Posts
I was chatting to a friend the other day who was told a good thing to take for indigestion are 'Refreshers'!! Apparently it's the bicarb of soda in it that has the same effect as Gaviscon. Worth a try! Difficult to find them now a days but been told you can get them in WH Smith, presume Love Hearts would have a similar effect?! xx

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I have a hiatis hernia and have suffered heartburn very early on, I drink milk to neutralise the acid .. it does help

·
Registered
298 Posts
Refreshers do work wonderfully!!! Really worth a go!!

3 years ago when I was pg all you could have was gaviscon, now if you read the packaging on most of the remedies, the majority specifically say you can use them for pregnancy heartburn.

Rennie chews are much more paletable that those chalky horrible things, or rennie ice.  Both boots and tesco ownbrand "heartburn relief" also state they are safe in pregnancy.

Refreshers are more fun though!!  ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts