Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this will be long winded no doubt, i never seem to be able to cut a long story short  ;D

It all started on Thurs 1st Sept, i was booked in for an early induction (38 weeks) as i had been injecting insulin for gestational diabetes. Apparently there is an increased risk of stillbirth after 38 weeks in diabetic babies so i was quite happy to go ahead, although i was petrified of being induced as i had heard it hurts more!

First i was taken into triage where the monitor was attached for an hour to check bubs, the first prostandin pessary was given at 3pm. Bubs had to be monitored for another 45mins to make sure he wasn't upset, which he wasn't so i was moved to the antenatal ward. By 6.15pm i was starting to get some niggles. DH had brought DD in and she had school in the morning so i was left on my own at 6.30pm  ^scared^ I tried to watch a bit of tv but the pains were enough to stop me concentrating, so i decided to just go with it and breathe through each pain. The girl in the bed opposite had her pessary at 11am and she was contracting around the same time as me so we did breathing together and got the giggles for an hour or so.

The midwife came and did a cervix check, no dilation except the 1cm that i had been for the past couple of weeks, grr all that pain and no movement. I was told that it probably wasn't contractions and more likely prostandin pain. Not convinced, i started writing down every contraction and sure enough they were 3 mins apart. The night staff gave me 2 sleeping tablets and some co-dydromol to take the edge off the pain, neither seemed to have any effect so at 3.15am i thought a bath was the best way to go. When the water was cold i got out, still contracting every 3 mins and went back to bed feeling really sorry for myself. By this time the girl from the bed opposite had given birth and was back up on the post natal part of the ward, i was not amused.

The morning staff came in and they hooked me up to the monitor for an hour to see what was going on. The contractions weren't showing so they gave me another pessary at 7.30am. Nothing much changed, was still getting pains, just they were 2 mins apart now. If this was prostandin pains i'd had enough and was ready to beg for a c-section.
DH came in and he started timing, just in case i was getting it wrong, but sure enough the pains were regular as clockwork. DH put this to the midwife when she came back to check me (still no dilation), she agreed it was odd and hooked me up to the monitor again. Again, no contractions showing.... i couldn't believe it!
After 2 hours on the monitor, a different midwife came in and adjusted the straps. Hallelujah, contractions were showing and it was agreed i had been contracting all along. Still no dilation though.....

At 2.30pm i was taken down to the delivery suite to have my waters broken (even though i was still only 1cm), if this didn't work it was going to have to be the section.
The midwife in delivery was not going to give up and after a few minutes she had broken the bag of waters.
I had prepared myself for the fact that i wouldn't have an active labour as i had to have an insulin infusion pump in one arm and a glucose drip in the other. Bubs had to have constant monitoring to make sure his heart rate was ok, so even standing up was out of the question.

Things seemed to go really quickly from there, i had to do finger prick glucose tests every hour and each hour seemed to get closer and closer together. DH put my tens machine on for me which really took the edge off the pain. 7.30pm i was checked again and was 2cm BIG WOW so was put on an oxytocin drip.
Now i knew this would do the business as i had this with DD and she flew out with no midwives present. I warned the midwife, who promised she would keep a close eye on me. By 10.30pm i was 5cm, woohoo now we were getting somewhere. An hour later i felt an overwhelming urge to push, DH pushed the buzzer and the midwife couldn't believe her eyes as she could see the head. I was still only about 6cm but she assured me the head was in the right place and i could push if i wanted to. The pain was a bit intensive by this point so i asked for gas and air, wahey...i giggled my way through the rest of the contractions.

At 1.30 am Cameron Matthew made his appearance weighing 8lb

Our family is now complete, we are blessed with 2 perfect children and believe me i say thank you every day.

I was told in 1996 that i wouldn't be able to have children, it just goes to show that they don't know everything yet.

Love and luck to everyone
Helen xx

PS forgot to add that my book labour was 3hrs  ^scared^

·
Registered
62 Posts
Helen that's a lovely birth story and such a nice touch at the end about you being told you could never have children and yet look at your two beautiful babes!!

You sounded so brave. I'm desperate to do it with gas and air and tens too - hope I'm as positive and strong as you!

Enjoy lovely Cameron

Love Catxx

·
Registered
251 Posts
Helen - what a lovely story.  Although it took a while for them to recognise that you were actually having contractions - things seemed to move quite quickly towards the end!

Congrats on your two beautiful children

Love Lou xx

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Hi Helen,

Although the labour was long, the outcome is great! Tens & Gas & air!
Well done!

Congratulations!

Siobhan x

·
Registered
202 Posts
Helen, what a great birth story!

The part about being told you couldn't have children brought tears to my eyes.  How wonderful that you now have 2!!  Congratulations.

Hugs,
Julia

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Helen

Well done hun surviving on tens and gas and air!!  Funny you giggling through contractions at the end, bet they don't have many people doing that!!

Congrats on the addition to your family, i imagine your dd is just loving it!!

Love
Kel
xxx

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Helen,

Great story, I really feel for you re the contractions but no dilation it's v. frustrating.  Would like to hear the birth story of DD where she didn't wait for the midwives  ^scared^

Cameron looks adorable

Love Mish and Caitlin xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.