Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I am amazed and so pleased to see this section.  We're all in the same position!
I have secondary infertility. I am 38 (in Aug) have a husband and a five year old son and have been trying for three years for another baby.  We tried for several years for our son and after investigations and subsequent treatment for endometriosis I got pregnant after two months. This time we had investigations again which revealed nothing and we began to think of assisted conception. In may we had to abandon a cycle of IUI because the doses of drugs were too strong for me as I produced too many follicles.  We had a cycle in May, halving the drug dose, but this unfortunately was unsuccessful.  We are planning to have IVF in the Autumn.  Part of me still thinks should we give IUI another go. Anyway I don't feel so guilty chatting here because I've been on other sites and felt a fraud because the other women are doing assisted conception for their first babies. Now I've got that off my chest I feel better! Thank you for listening.

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Hi Camilla !  Welcome to ff

I agree, its hard sometimes talking to women who don't have a child of their own.  The grief of infertility is not lessened though by having a child.  I have a ds from a previous relationship and would dearly love a child with my new partner.  Sadly I went through the menopause at the age of 21 so we need egg donation. 

Good Luck with your next cycle xxx xxx

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Camilla
We are in a very similar situation, we have a son age nearly three and been trying for 2 years now. We are are also due for IUi but Clomid did not suit me either. I now have an under active thyroid so need to sort this before proceeding. I will be 36 in Aug and my consultant has suggested 1 try at natural IUI then to move on to injectables. Have you looked at Foresight web site they are very into doing things naturally and preparing your body with vits and minerals. I always think you should go with what feels right and if you feel you should try once more with IUI then do so!! It is our bodies after all.
I sometimes think it is just as hard with secondary as once you have a child you are surrounded by babies and children all the time you can never escape!! I have just returned from my sons concert at pre school which was very emotional as on one hand I sat there overwhelmed by sadness and yes, jealousy by the number of babies and then thinking how lucky I was to have such a wonderful son who was grinning like a loon at me the whole time he was singing.
Good luck and hopefully speak soon
Deb x 

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Camilla - welcome to FF! 

My son is 6 and we've been trying for 3 years for no.2 too.  I'm 39 and think i may have endo although not had diagnosis - symptoms started just before i started ttc!!  I got pg with son quite easily after 3 months so have found this unexplained secondary infertility really hard but have always felt guilty as at least i have my gorgeous ds and so many others don't have any children.  Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily make it easier to deal with bfn each month.............like tomsmummy it does also seem that everyone around me has babies - all my friends have gone on to have no.2 at least, some on no.3 and neighbour is just about to pop no.4!! Also seems like every woman at work is now pg too!!

We've been having natural iui cycles as at first it seemed i was ov'ing ok so no danger of over stimulation - have you thought about trying that before moving onto ivf??  I've now moved on to medication as natural cycles weren't working for me but i'm pleased we started there as ideally i didn't want to take drugs.  I have also been doing the whole healthy eating, vitamin thing - interestingly i haven't got pg yet but it does seem to have helped a bit with heavy, painful af etc so it must be doing some good!

Good luck with treatment,

Nixie x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. 

I shall be taking some time out now for the summer so won't hear my name on the boards.  Here's hoping for more sun and a relaxing time for you all.

Best wishes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.