Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having skulked around this site on a number of occasions I would like to introduce myself to you fellow sufferers on the fertility front.

Compared to many of you who I have been reading about, I am pretty new to this game.  I am 35 years old, my DH is 32 - together for 5 years, married for 1.  Started ttc one year ago.  In April found out my FSH levels are elevated (but not drastically).  A couple of weeks ago I had an ovarian stress test (so well named) and have been diagnosed with diminshed ovarian reserve :'(
I'm not sure exactly what this means for our chances yet (have follow up appointment with consultant tomorrow) but I know it ain't gonna be good. 

We live in London and are going to the Assisted Conception Unit at UCH.

At the moment I am very tearful and finding it hard to come to terms with the fact that we are likely to have very serious problems conceiving. I very badly want to have children but I think my DH wants it even more than I do.  He would be a wonderful father and I just can't bear the idea that he may be denied it because of me. 

So I guess that's why they call it an emotional rollercoaster (except that they forgot that rollercoasters are fun). Infertility is totally sh*t isn't it?  Somebody tell me it gets easier

But it has been great to find this site, and be reminded that I am not alone (sometimes I need reminding) Wishing you all every possible bit of luck with your quests to become mothers

Alvie
x

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Alvie

Welcome to Fertility Friends, you'll find some great people on this site.  I have found on here that we all understand what we are each going through, much more than our friends and family do.  If you ever have a question or just want to have a chat, the answer will always be here.

I think we all need reminding sometimes that we are not alone, I certainly do.  We've been trying for four years now, but only sought help this year.  I have a laparoscopy in August to look forward too as blocked tubes are a possibility, everything else has been tested and is fine.  When we initially went to get help, I spent about the next week crying about what might be wrong etc so that reaction is perfectly normal.

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow, and let me know how you get on.

Love Em 

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hiya Alvie

Wishing u a warm welcome to Fertility friends

Emma has put it in a nutshell really

Just wanted to wish u lots of ^goodluck^ for ur appt tomorrow

Do let us know how u get along will be sending u ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

I have low ovarian reserve and can identify partly what u may be going thru, if it would help to chat or let off steam with ur feelings feel free to message me or email me

Best wishes
Emilyxx

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Alvie,

Really feel for you and just wanted to say you are definitely not alone.  I also had my first 2 treatments at UCH - how are you finding them?  Mr Serhal has a bit of a strange manner doesn't he but I really do think he's good and knows his stuff.  The nurses there was lovely too.  We left there because basically nothing was going right for us but I don't think it was anything they were doing because they have such high success rates.  Obviously we are a very complicated case cos we've had 5 treatments so far and never a bfp!

I've never head of this ovarian stress test thing - sounds interesting?  Did you have it done at UCH?  How do they do it?

Anyway you will get lots of support on here so don't worry.  Best of luck with your appointment tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

Take care
Ruby xxx

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Alvie,

Im Zuharaq. Im new here too. I can understand the pain that you are going through. Before you go insane with depresion (as i did) do yourself a favour, get to the bookstore and find a book called 'Curing Infertility' by Randine Lewis or run a search on her using google.. It may change your life.

Good luck and I wish you much love.

Zuharaq

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Em, Emily, Ruby and Zurharaq
Thanks so much for your kind and encouraging replies - they are really appreciated.
Our appointment was better than I expected really - although I have dimished ovarian reserve they think I have about a 20% chance of having a normal response to IVF drugs (and if that happens I have as good a chance with IVF as anyone else apparently).  If my response is sub-optimal, they will do GIFT instead and they tell me that I would have "up to" 25% chance with that (not sure what "up to" means though).  So although our chances are not the best at least we still have some chances...we were really frightened that they were going to say we had none at all.
They did advise us to start treatment as soon as possible so I have now started the pill in preparation for our first cycle (exciting but very nerve racking too).
Ruby, the ovarian stress test is something they did at UCH.  Basically it is a test to try to evaluate your ovarian reserve and hence your likely response to IVF drugs.  They take a blood test and give you a shot of Gonal-F 300 and then take another blood test 24 hours later.  They measure FSH, the change in eostrogen between the two shots and possibly other things too.  They also count your antral follicles (little tiny follicles on your ovaries at the beginning of your cycle).  They put all the factors they have measured together and this gives them an idea of your ovarian reserve.  I am no doctor but from what I understand this is more accurate than relying on FSH levels alone.
UCH seems good so far - we have seen Mr Ranieri.  We also found his manner a little off putting at first but he is growing on us as he seems like a kind man, and seems to know his stuff.  And like you say, the nurses are lovely.
Wishing you all the very best and fingers crossed for your next treatment.
And Em, very good luck for your laparoscopy
xx
Alvie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.