Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!!  :)

DH and I had been trying little over a year to get PG when our GP recommended we got a few basic tests done to make sure everything was OK. In Jan 2010 we found out that DH had no sperm present.  :( We couldn't understand this as his health has always been great, after 6months of grieving we decided that adoption would be the best path for us as it is something i have always wanted to do at some point in my life. Just finished prep group and have first meeting with s.w on Tuesday so getting nervous now as had depression last year due to alot of things going on top of  the IF so worried they will feel my past health will get in the way although i am fighting fit now.  ;D Just looking for someone who is also in the early days of adopting or who has adopting with a past of ill health to her their stories and share mine. Thanks  :-* x x x

·
Premium Member
12,192 Posts

Welcome to FF, Charlene!! This is a great website for support, information, laughter and friendship, it has kept me (relatively!) sane though all my treatment.

I haven't been through adoption myself, but my husband adopted 3 children from Eastern Europe with his ex-wife and they are the most wonderful children. It really is a rewarding experience. Here is the link to the adoption and fostering section of the forum - CLICK HERE I hope you find it useful, I am sure the lovely ladies there will be able to help you.

Perhaps you might also find the What Every New Member Needs To Know (includes a list of common abbreviations) section helpful, it will help you navigate this site ~ CLICK HERE

We also have a newbie night in the chat room every Wednesday where you can meet other new members and a few more experienced (I won't use the term "old"!) members will be there to answer any questions you have about the site. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

Please feel free to ask more questions here, or on any other part of the site, there will be wonderful helpful people there to give you lots of support, information and cyber hugs if you need it.

Good luck - I hope everything goes smoothly and you will soon be able to welcome your new child into your home. ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Sue ^hugme^

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,

I have only just joined ff over the last couple of days and its great to see its not just me who is in the same position.

Im am not in the same position as you with the adoption but it is something we have discussed in brief.  I think you are very brave after everything you have been through and hope you get to adopt soon.

What type of things did you have to do to get started with looking to adopt?

Andrea x

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You very much ladies,It is very reassuring knowing that this site is here as although both our families are very supportive they will never truly know what we are going through so it is lovely to talk to people feeling the same emotions as us.

Thank you very much Sue I will def use the links you have posted as I am feeling a little lost on here.

Thank you Andrea! Lovely to meet newbie like myself!  ;D I did a lot of research to begin with on the BAAF and Be my parent I then contacted my local Adoption charities  (which i found the details for on the BAAF website) Once we decided we were ready to begin the process we called our council and asked for the social services department after about a 45min chat they said they would send us infomation booklets. After reading them we found it didn't contain anything we hadn't read on the BABF website.  We called them back and explained we were still interested in starting the process and asked what the next steps were? We were told that a Social worker would call us back.  About 2 days later Head of the social work department called us to arrange an appointment she came out and asked general questions about our relationship,health,family work etc. (stayed for about 30min) About 3weeks later we got a call to ask us if we were available to go on a prep course in just over a week.(a letter was in the post but due to the size of the waiting list needed our reply sooner).  The prep course consisted of 2day groups and 2 evenings they are very emotional as they tell you true stories of children in care and always give you worse scenarios when using examples so please if you do go ahead don't let this scare you. At the last group they had a a woman who had adopted a sibling group and she gave us a review of her experience which I thought was the best part of the prep group. At the end the gave us all a for which firstly had a tick question asking if you wanted to proceed with the adoption or not. If you tick yes you then fill in the rest of the form which asks for your names address,how many children you would like to adopt, ages range and a couple of other general questions. Hope this helps just put down everything I could remember.

Charlene x x x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.