Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Well I am a 23 year old lady and I had a laproscopy when I was 19 (to which the consultant said that she was positive that there was nothing wrong with me and I was just imaging the pain) and afterwards was told not only did I have an allergic reaction to the general where my heart stopped but that also both my tubes were completely crushed, the left more then the right one.  I wasn't told about IVF then just that if I ever managed to get pregnant then it'd would most definitely be ectopic. :(

At that time I had been in a relationship for 3 years with a man I loved very much and he was very supportive, suggesting adoption etc, but as I was still young I decided to just pretend it wasn't happening.  Eventually due to me bottling everything up me and my partner split up.  He met someone else a couple of months later and had a one night stand with her and she became pregnant.  That was when I decided that I can't just ignore this problem.

I have been in a new relationship for about 8 months now, we were friends for about 18 months beforehand.  We are hoping to start the process soon, but wanted to find out as much as possible, about different clinics, peoples experience etc before doing so.  So any information would be very useful and appreciated.

Take care

H x

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Hi Hayz,

Sorry to hear of everything you have been through.  It sounds like you have a wonderful partner now though. 

You will definately get lots of information and advice on this site.  First of all, have you been to your GP because I think you normally need a referral before you can have treatment.  I dont know whether you will be able to get it on the NHS or whether you are in a position to pay for it privately.  That will affect which clinic you can go to.

Also normally before you can actually begin an IVF treatment cycle you will have to have lots of tests done - blood tests and scans to see whether you ovulate, a semen analysis for your partner, etc.  I dont know how many of these tests they will do for you given your medical history. 

I suggest you go and talk to your GP as thats the usual way to get the ball rolling.  GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Love Olwen xxx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Olwen,

YUeah I have an open dated appointment with the gynae consultant at my local hospital.  Have already had some tests done, ovalution test, stds etc.  My main problem is money, I'm saving towards it now.

Thnaks again

H x

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Hayz
I have been in the same boat as you, so I really do understand, but at least you have decided not to give up without a fight  ^evil^
Money is always a problem with IVF, have you enquired if you can get NHS funding ? if you have and have been turned down there are the new laws coming into force on April1st this year, which means that this postcode lottery will end and everyone (??????) will be able to have at least one cycle of IVF on the NHS, so there is still hope  ;) the other thing for you to consider may be an egg sharing programme, there is loads of information about it on this site, it is a very very personal decision for you to make but you are young so will probably have a very good chance of being a suitable candidate and it will reduce the cost of treatment to around £500 instead of thousands.
Good Luck
Dydie xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.