Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.  Ive found FF to be a great source of information. 

A little about myself.  Im 31 dh 31 and ds 3 .  I was diagnosed with blocked tubes, a hydrosalphinx blockage (if that is the correct terminology).  I underwent 2 IVF cycles at ARGC as I was under the impression they were the best.  Even though they were extremely expensive we thought that if we pay for the best I could fall quicker and could end up cheaper in the long run. 

The ARGC knew of my history of my hydrosalphinx (they even did a hysteroscopy and various bloods to see for themselves).  After various blood tests I was also diagnosed with New Killer Cells, something which I believe Mr T (as he is called to the ARGC girls) tests for on most women.  Not alot of clinics test for this and this is one of Mr T's specialities.

I dont think that Mr T took into consideration of my hydrosalphinx, which I have just read on the internet (and please someone correct me if I am wrong), that hyx reduces a womens chances of getting preg by IVF by half.  What should happen is to have that tube cut away to give you the same success rate as women with no tubal hydrosalphinx. 

I think Mr T was more concerned with his pioneering medicine and ignored that fact and to possibly use me as one of his ginea pigs in his IVIG and other steriod drugs. 

I dont know what Im trying to write here, but I feel like I need to get it off my chest.  I know that I do not want to go through IVF again, but am thinking of having my tubes cut away and seeing if i can fall pregnant naturally.  Is this possible?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Welcome to FF! 

Sorry you have had such a rotten time.  TX can be such a rollercoaster.  You will find heaps of info re tubes on the diagnosis board which may help you make some decisions about your future.  I am not a doctor, but I have a friend with "tube" problems.  As far as I am aware, no tubes or blocked tubes means no chance of having a baby naturally - IVF/ICSI is the only way forward.  The egg needs a route to the uterus and without clear tubes/any tubes then this route is essentially closed off.

I know a lot of ladies on this board have had their tubes removed in this situation for exactly the reasons you describe.  I believe the fluid in your tubes can come down into the uterus and prevent a baby implanting successfully.

If you are unhappy with your clinic I would try and get a second opinion.  Sometimes that is great for straightening things out in your head.

I hope everything works out for you.

Angela xx

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Angela

I thought I was off this rollercoaster, but I guess for as long as you have hope you never get off!!

Good luck with you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome Ella,

Sorry to her that you have had such a rough time.  Good to know that you are keeping/staying positive though.

Everyone is super on this board so whenever you need to chat, you can always find an ear or two :)

Lou Lou

·
Registered
193 Posts
Welcome to the site and you'll find it an absolute god send at timed.If your unhappy with your treatment see someone else as it is important to feel like your in control and that you and your doctor are on the same wave length,

Don't let them fob you off and if your not sure about something keep asking them till you know what is happening at the end of the day this is about you and your partner so you need to feel comfortable with your treatment and relaxed and happy with your doctor,if your not then change to another one till you find the one that suits you.

Lots of love and luck for your future
clare xxxxx

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Clare and Lou Lou, you've already put a smile on my face.  :)

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Ella
welcome to ff, I am sorry you have lost the confidence to go through IVF again, but I am sure you know how lucky you are to have your ds.
with regards to your hydrosalpinx, not all of these effect chances of concieving, what happens is that natural body fluid gets trapped in the tube because of the blockage and turns stagnant, if this fluid then back flows into your uterus then it is thought that it can be toxic to embryo's and can cause mc.
You cannot get pregnant naturally if both your tubes are blocked and you certainly cannot get pregnant naturally if you have them both removed as the sperm and egg have no way of meeting and the embryo has no path to the uterus.
The main reason people have them removed is to reduce the risk of ectopic pregnancy and to reduce the risk of any fluid back flowing to the uterus and causing mc after IVF treatment.
There are some very small chances of having your tubes unblocked but the chance is often so small that doctors will not even try as your tubes are so small and fragile that there is a big risk of causing further damage.
I hope some of this clears up your confusion, I am sorry that it is not more positive for you, but you may find that IVF is the only way forward for you, it might be worth having your hydrosalpinx examined further to see how much fluid (if any) is being contained to assess the risk of this reducing your chances of a successful pregnancy with IVF.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do
Dydie

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dydie thank you so much for all that info. it has certainly cleared alot of confusion up. 

One more question I hope you can answer for me though is that if I have both tubes removed, then how would my monthly released egg travel to my uterous thus giving me my monthly period?

Hugs
Ella

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi ella welcome to ff i have had both my tubes removed aswell threw eptopics. Im hoping to egg share soon depending on the decsion of the ethics board  good luck and hope you find all the answers to your questions

Kerry xxx

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Ella
Your egg will still be released from the ovary but it won't be able to travel anywhere and will get re-absorbed by your body after floating around for a bit, but your egg does not need to reach your uterus in order for you to have a period, the period occurs when hormone levels tell your body that you are not pregnant from the last egg released and your body then sheds its womb lining (which creates your period) and starts making a new lining (a fresh nest) ready for the next egg.
I find that is what is so sad about tubal infertility, your body is constantly working to get pregnant and make your womb nice and fresh and cosy and the flipping A to B bit is not working  :'(
hope this clears things up for you hun, don't hesitate to ask more questions no matter how silly they may seem, we have all had to learn somewhere
Take Care
Dydie xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.