Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

As most of you know i have a little boy born by IVF. His name is Joe and at present is 19 months old.
I dont profess to be a super mum, i make mistakes along with everyone else. But i feel we have to bring up our children how we feel is best if it doesnt agree with the experts then so what. I Love my little boy to bits and wouldnt swap him for the world. He is a proper little boy, but we have also been very lucky that he has been a good baby and still is where sleeping and eating are concerned.
I am always open for help and tips and willing to share any tips i have picked up.

Congratulations to all you new and old mum's here.

Love Kim x x x

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Kim,

I hope more mums join you soon - where is Lucy and Allie and our new mums ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Your going to be busy when we all start asking questions.

Mel

x x x

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont mind answering questions mel but i am no expert. i am still learning myself. But we can all muddle through together lol

Love kim x x x

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Hello everyone!!

My name is Allie and I have a little girl called Kirstie. She is 4.5 months old , gorgeous and becoming her own little person! We are now giving her some solids (the results of which can be seen in the yummy! photo in the New Arrivals album on the gallery) ;D .

I absolutely love being a mummy and while I have to confess that it is a lot harder work than I ever imagined, Kirstie has already brought more happiness than I could have foreseen. She was most certainly worth the wait!

Looking at the Bun in the Oven boards - it could get very busy on here in the coming months ;D ;D!!!!!

Love

Allie

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi everyone!

I am Celia and I have a little girl called Hannah who is now just over 5 months old and I can't believe how fast the time flies by. She is now on three meals a day and seems to love most fruit and vegetables that she is given. She has also started to roll and shuffle so I am now having to be far more careful where I leave her as she's mobile. Make the most of the early months when they stay where you left them!!

I too love being a mum, but like Allie find it very hard work at times. I hope we will all be able to support one another on here through all the good times and also the more difficult ones as well. I am not going back to work once my maternity leave is over, partly because we are moving south as dh's job is relocating and because I have decided I am ready for a career break anyway. So I have an interesting couple of months ahead of me with adjusting to the fact that I am now a housewife and coping with moving areas.

Look forward to seeing all the new mums posting on here soon. I am always happy to try and help with anyone's problems, but like Kim do not claim to be an expert.

Celia & Hannah

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Allie and Celia

Its nice to have you on board. Lets hope we get more mum's joining us real soon.

Love Kim x x x

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hello all :)

WOW! I feel so very lucky being able to post on this board, and think it's a fantastic idea. I have a feeling it's going to become very active over the coming months with all the arrivals due from the bun's boards.

As for me, well I am mummy to Jack who will be 3 in October. Dh and I conceived him via donor IUI and we are blessed to also soon to be parents to our second son who is due on 18 November (conceived via the same donor). I'm so excited about his arrival, but totally terrified at the same time :)

I think this whole parenting thing is a steep learning curve that never ends. It is incredibly hard work (which never really gets easer, it just seems to change) and very scary, but most of all I think it's rewarding, fun, emotional and the most amazing experience of my life.

I look forward to chatting to you all.

Happy parenting ^banana^

Love

J

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi J

Glad you have joined us. So as you have a 3 year old i can ask you questions.??

Love Kim x x x

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Kim - Yep, feel free to ask, and I will help if I can, but I'm no expert lol :) I've muddled my way through so many parenting issues so far :D One situation was my son recently started smacking other chldren. I was distraught (we've never smacked him and I don't know why he thought it was okay to do this to other children) and didn't have a clue how to stop him, was scared he'd end up with no friends, turn into a bully, etc. - never mind the embarrassment of it at play dates. Well, what we did has obviously worked and he's stopped it now after about 3 months or so. We just removed him from the play whenever he hit, gave him a stern telling off and lavished the other child with sympathy. It wasn't easy, but it worked. PHEW! Still, I'm sure this was a minor challenge to face in light of all the future may bring. I'm not even thinking of the teenage years ^scared^ LOL

Love

J

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi J

Thanks that is a good tip. Joe does smack sometimes to get attention and i do do this when he smacks my neice. He then comes over and gives her a ^Cuddle^ so hopefully we can stop it before it gets out of hand.

Love kim x x x

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi everyone

Just logged in and saw this board was up and running - great!

I am mum to Katie who is five months old, and lovely lovely lovely (well, most of the time ;) ) Today she got her first tooth through! She has been unsettled the last few nights, and I didnt even think it might be a tooth coming, but I saw it today, and tonight she bit my boob - bit of a surprise that one!!

Its great to be able to pick other mums brains - Kim always has good advice, and Allie and I had our babys within a couple of weeks of each other, so we're always comparing notes. It'll be nice to be able to chat to other new mums too.

Lucy x

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Lucy

Nice to see you here. Congratulations on the tooth.

Love Kim x x x

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh a new home.... was wondering where us mums went.

well my name is becca and i had my son jack 6wks ago and hes a star.....well he should be after 35hrs of labour.

i can agree i never thought it would be this hard.......im finding the sleepless nights a killer, and because im breastfeeding no one can help me feed unless i express, but im enjoying every bit and still cant believe im a MUM! :eek:
XX

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice to have you on board Becca. I know the feeling i waited so long for Joe i love being a mum.
Hope you get some sleep soon.

Love kim x x x

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Becca

Congratulations on having Jack - he sonds gorgeous. The sleepless nights really did me in, trying to breastfeed and recover from the birth all seemed overwhelming. I have to admit I enjoyed most of it but it wasn't all idyllic and I did feel unable to cope at times. Kim kept telling me 'it gets easier, and it goes really fast', well she was right as always!! Hang on in there!

Hi to everyone else

Lucy xx

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi everyone!

Congratulations on the first tooth Lucy. We've not got there yet but have all the symptoms so it probably won't be long!! Are you still breastfeeding? I am and am not really looking forward to the teeth appearing!!

Becca - hang on in there with the feeding. I think Hannah first slept through at about 7 weeks and it does get easier once you get more sleep. I was falling asleep feeding her in the middle of the night which wasn't the best thing to do!! If you can manage to express enough it's nice so someone else can do a feed. I did it for a while but at about 10 weeks or so started to introduce a formula feed in the evening which Nick gave her. He now baths and feeds her in the evening which is nice that he can spend some time cuddled with her and I get a break as well.

Treasure every minute of it as it does go so fast. I was looking at a video of her yesterday when she was newborn and realised how much she's changed.

Hope everyone else is well

Celia

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi all.

Becca - The sleepless nights are incredibly hard aren't they. I remember spending most of my waking moments in a complete, dizzy daze. It really does get better though, and whilst it's hard to see past the lack of sleep at the moment it's surprising how quickly things will suddenly start to slot into place and a new normality will form. Jack's probably also going through a bit of a growth spurt now at 6 weeks, so will no doubt want to feed more and more for a couple of days or so. Your supply will soon catch up though, so hang in there and enjoy every second.

If you do find the night feeds getting way too much for you and you can't express enough (I know it's very easy to end up feeling like all you're doing is feeding/expressing, etc), then maybe you could give breastfeeds during the day and introduce formula feeds at night so dh can take a turn? (your breasts will soon get the message as well). The hardest thing for me last time was realising that formula isn't poison and allowing my son to have some of that. This time I intend to only breastfeed during the day and give formula at night from the word go.

Blow all this 'you have to get your supply established first before switching to bottles' lark. Your body is smart and will produce what your baby needs, but it'll produce it better if your getting enough sleep and are more rested.

On the subject of teeth, I just used a little Calgel on Jack when he was teething (along with the trusty Calpol of course), but think I was quite lucky with him. He even cut his back teeth with little effort. I have to say, I did stop breastfeeding once the teeth came through at around 4 months as it was seriously painful and I couldn't deter him at all. Good luck on that one girls ;)

Celia - My dh has also always bathed and fed Jack in the evenings and put him to bed, which gives you a good few hours to yourself after a long day with baby. Dh loves doing it as well as he says it's his time with his son after not seeing him all day. Basically, we all benefit with this arrangement.

Enjoy your babies everyone. Time really does go so very quickly.

Love

J

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
thanks girls, i gave jack a carton and he slept for 4hrs :eek: ;D.

whats the best sma or cow and gate?

i tried expressing and i could only do a few oz no wonder hes hungrey all the time.

am def thinking of mix feeding.

got him weighed yesterday and hes10lb 1oz.....its true what you all say...time flys.

xx

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wouldnt like to say what is the bes becca. I used SMA gold cap for Joe and he thrived on it. I used this simply because my sister used it for all of her babies (4) and they were fine on it.

Love Kim x x x

·
Registered
172 Posts
hi becca

I use farleys but I think they are all pretty much the same. Glad you got a bit of sleep!! Don't worry about only expressing a little bit - your baby can get lots more out than the breast pump can. I still breastfeed except last thing at night, and katies food is usually made up with formula. Don't rush into mixed feeding though-last thing at night makes sense, but I am sooo glad I stuck with breastfeeding the rest of the day. Have you tried breastfeeding lying on your side. This can be great, because you can sometimes nod off, and baby pretty much always will. When I started I'd have all the kit round the bed, muslin squares, pillows, glass of water, remote control etc. But after a few weeks I'd just pick 'er up, clamp 'er on and go back to sleep !!

Hope it continues to well

Lucy x

1 - 20 of 45 Posts