Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope the immune ladies don't mind me gatecrashing your board. I would really appreciate some advice.

I had a BFP yesterday and woke with what seemed like an allergic reaction with no obvious trigger - my face was all swollen. The reactions seemed to almost completely settle after 2 doses of piriton. I have woken this morning with a swollen face again - in different places to yesterday and an allergic rash all over - my palms are particularly bad. Could this be due to a change in my hormones or is my body 'rejecting' the fetus?

This is my second pregnancy and the first was uneventful. I do, however, have mild asthma so wonder if may, in fact, have some immune issues. I haven't had any bleeding but am using pessaries.

Following some advice from one of my lovely FF's who knows a lot about immune issues I did call my clinic and ask if I needed any additional meds but they said no because my reaction doesn't seem typical of someone with immune issues. Since it has come back today I have left them a message to call me back so that I can ask whether a course of prenisolone would help given that piriton alone isnt now helping. Do you think this is sensible? How long do ladies having immune treatment take pred for and at what dose?

Thankyou for any advice ladies

Jen x

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
it does sound like some sort of allergic reaction, doesn't it?  I THINK that acute autoimmune reactions in response to  pregnancy are quite rare - more often the classic signs of an immune reaction to early pg are a bit more subtle e.g., sore throat, slight temperature, feeling flu-y - so I guess its unlikely to be a pg reaction but its not impossible.    I guess its more likely to be an allergy to something else e.g., to something you've eaten or maybe even to pessaries or whatever meds you might be on at the moment?

It is also possible to have all sorts of itching reactions to pregnancy due to issues with your liver etc but they happen later in pregnancy.

I guess if you were having immune fertility treatment your doc would have your previous immune blood results and history etc (e.g., knowing whether you have a DQa match risk or not) to go on so that he would be better placed to decide whether there is much chance its a pg reaction or not... and I suppose if he thought it might be, he'd put you on steroids and possibly give you a drip (ivig or intralipids)... but even that decision would be based on the doc's guesses rather than any real proof of exactly what is causing the reaction.

If you wanted to you could ask for an urgent telephone consult with someone like Dr Gorgy to get another opinion but, in a situation where no-one can be absolutely sure, I guess you have to go with what your instincts are telling you in whether you should be trying to push for steriods at this point.  The only thing to bear in mind is that if you do decide to speak to an immune doc/ask for steroids there's probably only any point doing it if you can get hold of someone in the next couple of days.  prednisolone is often prescribed at 10-25mg until about 12 weeks, but where there are signs of an immune reaction despite that, the dose is sometimes raised up to a maximum of about 40mg.  I guess, given you already have a reaction an immune doc might put you on at least 25mg?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou so much Agate for taking the time to reply - it is really appreciated!

Your ideas are almost identical to the clinic - they have stopped my pessaries and I have to use injections instead. If the response isn't settling by tomorrow am they are going to give me steroids which I am happy with. I am really hoping it is the pessaries so fingers crossed it does start to go.

Thankyou again - you are a star!

Jen x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts